Reality Factor

Hi everybody,

is it possible or does anybody know a tool to add more reality to sim racing?? What I mean is if I am in a practice session (either only practice or race event) and I damage the car I can simply go back to the garage and drive out of the box immediately, no matter how much damage I had. It would increase the reality of sim racing a lot for me if there would be a real clock. Say I collide with another car and the left front is damaged...to repair the car and make it driveable again I then have to wait for for instance 40 minutes, no matter if I do a pitstop or just return to the garage... Some people might not like this, but for me it would add another factor to the game: be causious! :bashful:...if you damage the car, you will have to wait for the repairments....

What do you guys think?

Fast regards,
SD

P.S. This clock could work in a single practice session....the longer you practice the further the clock goes....at some point the sun will go down and the night will fall in... Is this included in GTR 2??

Hi everybody,

is it possible or does anybody know a tool to add more reality to sim racing?? What I mean is if I am in a practice session (either only practice or race event) and I damage the car I can simply go back to the garage and drive out of the box immediately, no matter how much damage I had. It would increase the reality of sim racing a lot for me if there would be a real clock. Say I collide with another car and the left front is damaged...to repair the car and make it driveable again I then have to wait for for instance 40 minutes, no matter if I do a pitstop or just return to the garage... Some people might not like this, but for me it would add another factor to the game: be causious! :bashful:...if you damage the car, you will have to wait for the repairments....

What do you guys think?

Fast regards,
SD

P.S. This clock could work in a single practice session....the longer you practice the further the clock goes....at some point the sun will go down and the night will fall in... Is this included in GTR 2??

netKar Pro has a full mode where it takes the real amount of time to do setup changes and fix damage.

No thanks.
Yes, I want the game to be realistic to an extent where you can actually impact into the tyre walls like Grid and the Safety Car comes out.
However I don't want to be dicking about waiting for my car to be fixed just for the sake of it.

I think theres a very fine line between realism, and just taking the piss.

i kinda like the idea, i mean, you can always make a cuppa tea while the cars being fixed. if there was an option for this, would be good for enduro races, like 24 hour ones, but then, we still dont have working headlights projected on the road. and how many people actually do long races here, i would love em, but i never see any.

I think it would be great to have the option of someone playing race official and driving a safety car when required on track, but then, when people crash here, they generally hit escape, which could be quite embarrassing when the safety car goes out to warn of track obstacles when they just vanished lol. i think if you made agreement that if people cant drive back to pits they stay where they crash until the first pass of the safety car, that might be fun. only trouble is, safety car wouldnt be able to see if theres a crash over the whole track, so you would need a few people in safety cars dotted around.
btw ive seen that people can actually drive safety cars ingame, so i guess it would be possible for this. and the flashing lights work on the roof :)

For a totally realistic experience - get a friend to stand behind you when you race and wobble you chair around, then when you slide off track tell him he has to smash you over the head with a hammer for a lifelike accident experience!!

Depending how heavy the accident and how many times you roll he has to continue doing this so you can have the ultra realistic experience of waking up next day in intensive care and aches and pains in every inch of your body.

Seriously - we can take it a bit too far sometimes this quest for realism can't we...

Personally hate spots of light from roadside lamps and from my car in game. In real life when driving fast in the dark these spots get lost and your eyes adjust to the bright and dark spots in your field of vision giving your brain a more averaged light level - if your going fast in the dark and actually focussing on these borders between lighter and darker spots of light - you destined for a wall or a ditch or a tree cause you sure as hell cant drive fast and focus on your light pattern to the extent that most racing games show it and to make it realistic is gonna eat graphics and processor power because of the changes in shading and shadows that having realisitc light patterns at speed causes. Only a personal opinion but I find pitch black and two daft little beams of unrealistic LIT UP bit like in Rfactor totally distracting. Maybe its my relatively low spec (compared to many others here) pc that makes it look like this just to me - maybe I am just strange - I don't know its too late and I'm tired out!

I happen to like the fact that we don't have to wait for repairs and such. I believe sim racing has most of the good stuff and very little of the bad stuff that comes with real life racing. We get to race in our shorts, t-shirts, and socks instead of sweat our asses off in a race suit. We get to crash as much as we like and we just hit escape, not go to the hospital and feel pain. We get to drive many different cars and tracks in one day, that's pretty much impossible in reality. We get the adrenaline rush that kicks in when in a close race. You get the idea.

Most of the good, almost none of the bad.

The only things we have to deal with is PC problems and finding the free time to race. And frankly, that's stressing enough for me, thanks.

That dark/bright levels that Dave mentioned is so true. But as a tradeoff we don't get blinded by the light (great song by the way...) for few seconds, busted engines don't smear oil all over the windshiled and so on. Personally i keep the light settings in my monitor such (contrast own, brightness up..) to compensate that dark/bright thingy. Works very well in FPS too...

I used to play flight sims (IL2) on a rickety old desk with a powerful FFB stick, the desk used to shake like crazy, monitor wobbling all over the place, its was really realistic, until one day i crashed my plane, the strong force feedback damn near ripped my arm off and the entire desk got shook to peices and collapsed in a heap on the floor. fortunateley i can laugh about it as nothing was damaged except the desk. hows that for realism, lol. :silly:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%