PC2 Real-time telemetry/race strategy tool released for PC2

Hello,

I have been developing a telemetry and race strategy tool for the F1 series since Codemasters started doing the game for PCs. In the years it has grown into a quite large package. The tool has been working with PC2 for quite some time, but I never announced it here, so here we go.

My tool provides:
  • real-time telemetry graphics
  • saves telemetry data (from you + limited data from your5 opponents), which you can then analyze later (i.e. how could the winner be 3 seconds per lap faster than me).
  • very accurate delta to all cars racing
  • race related data (track position history, laptime history views),
  • track map with opponent MP rating visible
  • raceinfo with data about the driver in front and behind and graphs of their laptime histories
  • "Driver DNA", way to look at many laps to see, where you are consistent

This is a tool, which I have developed for myself and use myself. The features I add are the ones, that I would like to have during racing.

I just released version 9.3, with plenty of fixes for PC2's online racing + fixes to the track data.

You can head to the F1 2019 subforum to get the tool. The link is https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/telemetry-application.27456/

If you run the tool on the same computer as PC2, the installation is pretty simple.

1. Unzip the package anywhere you like to install it, e.g. C:\bin\Telemetry.
  2. Read first the ReadMe.txt.
  3. Then run the runWin_PC2.bat, which starts the tool.
  4. Start PC2, enable the UDP Telemetry, restart PC2.
  5. Start driving
  6. Get Telemetry. Enjoy and get better.
The tool can be run on Windows, Linux or Mac, e.g. on a spare laptop. Or on second screen (as I do). If you run the Telemetry tool on separate computer from PC2, check the ReadMe.txt on how to get the data to the 2nd computer.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Enjoy, I do.

Few screenshots

Telemetry
V92_PC2_Telemetry.png

Track map
V92_PC2_Map_extra.png

Race history, 7 laps online race
V92_PC2_RaceHistory_history.png

Lap comparison tool
V92_PC2_Comparison.png

Looks amazing.:thumbsup:
But because I know how to use MoteC from iRacing and rF2 - then Im more interested if you with your skills would be able to make a "translator" app to take the telemetry output from Raceroom (or AMS2) and translate it to the MoteC format?
Just like 2 different guys have done with the the telemetry output from iRacing and rF2.;)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: And like what is allready possible from GTR2.

Looks amazing.:thumbsup:
But because I know how to use MoteC from iRacing and rF2 - then Im more interested if you with your skills would be able to make a "translator" app to take the telemetry output from Raceroom (or AMS2) and translate it to the MoteC format?
Just like 2 different guys have done with the the telemetry output from iRacing and rF2.;)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: And like what is allready possible from GTR2.

If this would be a "commercial product", I could work on adding other games too to the tool. I started this development journey with F1 2011. Since then I have added only those games, which I play actively. So that is the reason, there is now also support for DiRT Rally 2.0, PC2 and ACC, but not for other games.

With MoteC format there is also a licensing issue. The MoteC data format is proprietary and allowed to be only used with MoteC tools. So getting it out of these other games would be a violation of the terms. There is an API license, but it costs real money. This is most likely the reason, why for PC2 there is no MoteC feed or tools to export the PC2 UDP feed to MoteC.

Cheers.

@Iko Rein
Hey
If you still think there will be some license issue with MoteC then check this post of mine out.:thumbsup:
To the best of my knowledge then the 2 guys who have made a "translator" for rF2 and iRacing have never ever recieved any complaints from the australian MoteC company.
And the reason can be seen in the post.

Hey @Iko Rein:thumbsup:
I just thought that I will say that Im not in any way talking your tool and all your work on it down.
Hehe it must be slightly irritating when you have been and is still working on this tool for a long time - and then come some guy asking why dont you create something else instead.:sneaky:

But my problem is that the professional MoteC that is used all over the RL racing industry can do exactly what your (probably great) tool can do - but also almost everything else a pro telemetry tool should be able to do.
Allright maybe MoteC cannot make you a cuppa coffee - but its close.:roflmao:

Hey @Iko Rein:thumbsup:
I just thought that I will say that Im not in any way talking your tool and all your work on it down.
Hehe it must be slightly irritating when you have been and is still working on this tool for a long time - and then come some guy asking why dont you create something else instead.:sneaky:

I understood from your comments, that you have not used my tool. And on the other hand you asked me to break licensing terms of another software. And then I did not understand, why would I want to work to create data for a tool, which I don't use, from a game, I am not playing myself. I did not find that very constructive.

When I started doing this tool, the Telemetry tools for the Codemasters F1 (2011 and 2012) series were pretty limited (apart F1PerfView used with the F1Speed from Rob Gray). I wanted to get better with more analytical approach than just driving around blindly. At that time what I needed, was not available. Thus I created my tool.

Over the years the tool has grown into a race engineering, race tactics, statistics & telemetry tool, which is more than just a "plain offline telemetry channel analyzer". When I started to play PC2, DiRT Rally 2.0, and lately ACC, I added support to those games too.

But my problem is that the professional MoteC that is used all over the RL racing industry can do exactly what your (probably great) tool can do - but also almost everything else a pro telemetry tool should be able to do.
Allright maybe MoteC cannot make you a cuppa coffee - but its close.:roflmao:

I know, MoteC can do a lot of wonderful things. But MoteC or MoteC data is not available for F1 series, or PC2. Thus with MoteC you cannot do anything with those games.

For ACC the MoteC data is available. But the MoteC data for ACC provides only limited number of laps of Telemetry data logs for your own car (oldest are automatically deleted), and I really don't know if the MoteC Race Management tool could be used with ACC. The hard fact is, the data in ACC MoteC is "after the fact". In ACC MoteC there is no real-time race data or real-time telemetry, so you are still flying blind while driving. And you cannot have race engineer in different location to help you using the MoteC data.

As my tool is real-time, you can visualize right after the turn, if with certain type of driving you were faster - am I faster going through the apex with 3rd or 2nd gear? - thus it helps the kinetic learning with immediate feedback.

And with my tool you have pretty good way of understanding the race situation. And it helps you to make decisions to give you advantage. Or your race engineer can help you to make those decisions. And your race engineer can reside anywhere in the world. I doubt you can do that with MoteC, even when using it with the other race simulators.

And my strong opinion is that 99.99% of the Sim drivers don't need to have access to rear-right suspension movement histogram with 0.05mm data granularity, or the lateral slip values for each wheel 10.3 meters into T9 in Monza, or if their top speed at the end of Barcelona main straight is 258.9 or 259.3, when those 99.99% cannot drive two subsequent identical laps within 0.5 secs (or even within 1 second).

That 99.99% needs to be able to visually, in real-time, see how their driving affects their laptime. And on grander scheme compare many laps to see, where they could reduce their laptime by the needed multiple seconds to reach fastest drivers in online lobbies. And on top of that have access to detailed race history information to learn and to make better decisions in subsequent races. And to be honest, for the 99.99% there are much better tools than MoteC.

Cheers.

There is probably a reason both F1 teams and all other RL racing teams solely use telemetry to analyze what happens on the track to be able to go through the data afterwards and decide what should be changed in the setting of the car and what should be changed with the driver input.

Its mainly office chair racers who are interested in as example displaying the temp of the tires or the friction circle on the display in real time.
Hehe or the steering wheel and brake position in real time.;)

But to end this fruitless discussion I will just post how advanced calculations and analyzes can be made by MoteC - to the contrary of all/most socalled real time "telemetry" tools.

Here you see how MoteC is able to calculate both the average grip from 2 different sessions using 2 different setups (to the left)
- and at the same time show the grip values measured on the individual laps in the two sessions (lap 1-7 + lap 1-7) in the middle of the pic.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I guess that as example your real time tool (respect for that!) will have a hard time to be able to calculate the grip values at all.
But I just wanted to show a tiny bit of what you can make a real MoteC telemetry to do.:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs2: The pic is from iRacing - and the guy who created the "translator" between iRacing and MoteC will ofcourse never get troubles from MoteC. Even without an official licence. Because it gives good advertising to the australian MoteC Company. :)

GripCompare.png

I have asked this in the F1 2020 topic about this same app but hoping someone here can help me with my problem. I use Iko's app with F1 with loads of success. I have recently bought this game on a sale and want to now assess my telemetry.

I have updated to Iko's latest version, however the app does not produce the traces of speed, throttle etc. It does show the driving like wheel input and other data, it just seems the lap times are not being saved and can't be loaded.

Any ideas? (Iplay in PS4, the app is on the laptop)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.1%