Real Head Motion Plugin

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
I dont know how many of you have tried or are using this plugin. Its on the ISI site.

I installed it yesterday.
I ran a race vs AI at Spa in the ASR 1992
The 3 laps race at the Nordschliefe in the MX5 (what I call the spec Miata).
Today I did 35 laps practicing in the FR 3.5 at Magny Cours.

There is a good explanation on the site but in essence rather than locking your view to the car and having the world move around and up and down, it makes it work more like the human eye and brain deal with it.

I like it a lot. Its increased the realism of the view and the immersion.
In the MX5 at Nordschleife for example if the car was getting up on its side a bit your view stays largely (adjustable) fixed on the horizon and you see/feel the side of the car sort of higher than adviseable.
Over dips and compressions your head drops a little (in a crash in the MX5 I think I saw the floor).
Over jumps the car drops away under you a bit.

Anyway I drove it and thought "nice but will I be slower"
After increasing look ahead in Controller settings gradually from 0% to 50% I now sort of look where I would in a car. More to the apex and see where I am steering and the divergence as the chassis catches up. I think its helping me catch slides.
I went quicker in my last race lap than my (admittedly short) practice in the MX5. But that was 1st time too.

So today in the FR 3.5 practice went well and I have been finding pace anyway as I havent driven this track for 15 years. But the realheadmotion plugin cant have hurt as I found another second which was my target for today.

So thought I would share this with you. Happy to hear from anyone who has also tried it.
David
PS I have so far left the adjustments on default which seems quite nice.

David, I also left all on default and I can´t imagine how to drive rF2 without RealHead plugin. If I remember well, it didn˙t work with my first 64 version, so I drove some time 32 bit just because this plugin.
ah ha, one of the Zen masters secrets have been unlocked.
This gets me up a level!:ninja:
Now I must re arm, check my weapons and seek new targets to get to level 3:)

The Real Head Plugin is not just a script that changes the lines in the file Player.json ?
I make this values manually :

"Exaggerate Yaw":0.64,
"Exaggerate Yaw#":"Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve \"feel\")",

"Glance Angle":1,
"Glance Angle#":"Angle to look left\/right (yaw) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",

"Head Physics":1,
"Head Physics#":"Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)",
"Head Rotation":0.5,
"Head Rotation#":"Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only",

"Leanahead Angle":0.25,
"Leanahead Angle#":"Angle to lean head (roll) w\/ steering in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",

"Look Roll Angle":1,
"Look Roll Angle#":"Angle to lean head (roll) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
"Look Up/Down Angle":1,
"Look Up/Down Angle#":"Angle to look up\/down (pitch) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
"Lookahead Angle":0.2,
"Lookahead Angle#":"Angle to lookahead (yaw) w\/ steering in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",

And this is the render :

I downloaded the file from the blue highlighted website on this page.
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20746-Real-Head-Motion-for-rf2-rebooted-1-0-3
Ensure you read and follow the intructions on that first page regarding the download.
copied here

"Download
RealHeadMotionRFactor2_1.0.zip to download on my website. File is on bottom, it's a google site, so don't click the file but the down arrow on the right."

I followed the instructions and had no problems.

arghhh yeah that arrow works doh! i managed to find a copy on another forum that worked and man was i impressed with the result, brilliant find David!

edit: note to self, slow down and actually read instructions on web pages...

Last edited:
Just gave this a go and i must say i was doubting if i would actually like it. I am seriously impressed, it feels almost natural now. At first it was a bit weird with the car being on funny angles but it quickly became normal. I felt like it added another bit of realism in my opinion. Great find and thanks for sharing David. :thumbsup:

Just gave this a go and i must say i was doubting if i would actually like it. I am seriously impressed, it feels almost natural now. At first it was a bit weird with the car being on funny angles but it quickly became normal. I felt like it added another bit of realism in my opinion. Great find and thanks for sharing David. :thumbsup:
Yes same for me James. Its lifted to whole driving experience. I'm sure I ride the Kerbs with more accuracy now.
Nice over the little jumps at the Ring.
The funny thing is when you have a big off and the car bounces around. You get to see parts of the interior you dont normally see- Pedals-floor-roof-pedals-armco-grass-trees.

Cheers it works fine.
Hope you like it Jim. Let us know how you get on.
There is an XML file where you can change some settings. But its not simple and the defaults are what its inventor settled on as his personal favourites.

I dont know how many of you have tried or are using this plugin. Its on the ISI site.

I installed it yesterday.
I ran a race vs AI at Spa in the ASR 1992
The 3 laps race at the Nordschliefe in the MX5 (what I call the spec Miata).
Today I did 35 laps practicing in the FR 3.5 at Magny Cours.

There is a good explanation on the site but in essence rather than locking your view to the car and having the world move around and up and down, it makes it work more like the human eye and brain deal with it.

I like it a lot. Its increased the realism of the view and the immersion.
In the MX5 at Nordschleife for example if the car was getting up on its side a bit your view stays largely (adjustable) fixed on the horizon and you see/feel the side of the car sort of higher than adviseable.
Over dips and compressions your head drops a little (in a crash in the MX5 I think I saw the floor).
Over jumps the car drops away under you a bit.

Anyway I drove it and thought "nice but will I be slower"
After increasing look ahead in Controller settings gradually from 0% to 50% I now sort of look where I would in a car. More to the apex and see where I am steering and the divergence as the chassis catches up. I think its helping me catch slides.
I went quicker in my last race lap than my (admittedly short) practice in the MX5. But that was 1st time too.

So today in the FR 3.5 practice went well and I have been finding pace anyway as I havent driven this track for 15 years. But the realheadmotion plugin cant have hurt as I found another second which was my target for today.

So thought I would share this with you. Happy to hear from anyone who has also tried it.
David
PS I have so far left the adjustments on default which seems quite nice.
The look ahead setting David, is that personal preference or do you think we should be on 50% I like this plug in though, really good.

The look ahead setting David, is that personal preference or do you think we should be on 50% I like this plug in though, really good.
Well I just tested it and kept increasing it from 0 where I had it before. So its just personal.
It just moves your viewpoint to apex. You can see it when parked and you turn the wheel.
So when turning in instead of looking dead ahead you get a view to the apex, it helps me aim and also seems to give a view of how much behind your aiming point that the car is currently pointing. I ve also made some saves I think I would have failed to make.
I seem to like 50% but haven't tried higher. This is in controller of course.

There are various settings available in the XML file for the plugin that can change the amount that the view follows the car or follows the horizon and the algorithm it uses. But I'm happy with defaults and dont want to play with it too much. However a team mate has sent me his XML file so Ill whack that in and try it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%