Real Head Motion Plugin

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
I dont know how many of you have tried or are using this plugin. Its on the ISI site.

I installed it yesterday.
I ran a race vs AI at Spa in the ASR 1992
The 3 laps race at the Nordschliefe in the MX5 (what I call the spec Miata).
Today I did 35 laps practicing in the FR 3.5 at Magny Cours.

There is a good explanation on the site but in essence rather than locking your view to the car and having the world move around and up and down, it makes it work more like the human eye and brain deal with it.

I like it a lot. Its increased the realism of the view and the immersion.
In the MX5 at Nordschleife for example if the car was getting up on its side a bit your view stays largely (adjustable) fixed on the horizon and you see/feel the side of the car sort of higher than adviseable.
Over dips and compressions your head drops a little (in a crash in the MX5 I think I saw the floor).
Over jumps the car drops away under you a bit.

Anyway I drove it and thought "nice but will I be slower"
After increasing look ahead in Controller settings gradually from 0% to 50% I now sort of look where I would in a car. More to the apex and see where I am steering and the divergence as the chassis catches up. I think its helping me catch slides.
I went quicker in my last race lap than my (admittedly short) practice in the MX5. But that was 1st time too.

So today in the FR 3.5 practice went well and I have been finding pace anyway as I havent driven this track for 15 years. But the realheadmotion plugin cant have hurt as I found another second which was my target for today.

So thought I would share this with you. Happy to hear from anyone who has also tried it.
David
PS I have so far left the adjustments on default which seems quite nice.

ok...so i have downloaded and installed the plug in. then it says to do the following

Code:
"Car Vibration Mult1":0,
"Car Vibration Mult1#":"Primary engine vibration multiplier affects position of cameras attached directly to the car",
"Car Vibration Mult2":0,
"Car Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary engine vibration multiplier affects orientation of cameras attached directly to the car",
"Center Mirror Horiz":0,
"Center Mirror Horiz#":"use Ctrl+Alt+Seat* controls to save by vehicle",
"Center Mirror Size":1,
"Center Mirror Vert":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq1":31,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq1#":"Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)",
"Cockpit Vibration Freq2":37,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq2#":"Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation",
"Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Mult1#":"Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",
"Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",
Put all vibration MultX to 0

Configuration
Just edit RealHeadMotionRFactor2.xml

Code:
<RealHeadMotion><!-- Type = Inertia / LinearRegression / LockToWorldHorizon / LockToCockpit -->
<Filter Name="PitchFilter" Type="Inertia" Min="0" Val="0.99" Glance="0.4" Offset="-2" />
<Filter Name="RollFilter" Type="Inertia" Min="10" Val="0.90" Glance="0.75" Offset="0" />
</RealHeadMotion>
For both head/eye angle Pitch and Roll, that will be filtered, you can choose between 4 types

LockToCockpit : no filtering, the head will follow cockpit
LockToWorldHorizon : the Head angle is lock to world horizon, so if , for example, you set this type for RollFilter, the head will never roll in world coordinate, the head will stay straight
Inertia : Inertia filtering ( default ), Choose a filter Val between 0.0 and 1.0, It's my preferate choice. If you set to 0 it will be like LockToCockpit ( no filtering ) ,if you set to max 1.0 it will be like LockToWorldHorizon ( maximum filtering )
LinearRegression : another filtering, give different result. Val filter can be above 1.0

Min : if car angle is inferior than Min value, then the filter act like a LockToWorldHorizon.
Val : the filter value
Glance: the max angle glance value put same value than player.JSON ( those are default value ).
Offset : a fixed offset

the XML is read everytime you enter the track, so you can edit while in PIT.

i have done the first bit but can't seem to find the realheadmotionrfactor2.xml to edit the bottom bit.

in game it doesn't seem to do anything at present

I would leave that at default Paul. In game head physics at 0 and look ahead I have at 40% make sure in options - plugins it turned on. When you're in the pits, before you start out turn your wheel left and right and you should notice left and right movement so that means it's working.

Any idea if this still works. I got rfactor2 but the cockpit vibrations are killing me, cant drive without getting a headache after few mins.

Has it stopped working with the latest build?

I followed the instructions

- XML and dll files in the correct folders (32 bit and 64 bit respectively)
- Made the necessary changes in player.json file
- Tried with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. No luck.
- Plugin enabled as well

My .json file settings -

"Car Vibration Mult1":0,
"Car Vibration Mult1#":"Primary engine vibration multiplier affects position of cameras attached directly to the car",
"Car Vibration Mult2":0,
"Car Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary engine vibration multiplier affects orientation of cameras attached directly to the car",
"Center Mirror Horiz":0,
"Center Mirror Horiz#":"use Ctrl+Alt+Seat* controls to save by vehicle",
"Center Mirror Size":1,
"Center Mirror Vert":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq1":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq1#":"Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)",
"Cockpit Vibration Freq2":0,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq2#":"Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation",
"Cockpit Vibration Mult1#":"Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",
"Cockpit Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",

@David O'Reilly thanks for confirming.

Is the horizon locked with the plugin or is there still vibrations and the horizon shaking, even with the plugin installed.

Currently I have it installed and Im driving interlagos with the new FISI 1.6. On the long straight towards the braking zone and specially on the downhill mergulho the vibrations are bit much.

I have tried everything and still no luck. I even went into the cam files and edited the orientation rate and still feels like something is wrong.

I go to AC and there the horizon is locked and the car is moving around on the bumps. I cant seem to reproduce that with rF2.

Any help would be appreciated.

@David O'Reilly thanks for confirming.

Is the horizon locked with the plugin or is there still vibrations and the horizon shaking, even with the plugin installed.

Currently I have it installed and Im driving interlagos with the new FISI 1.6. On the long straight towards the braking zone and specially on the downhill mergulho the vibrations are bit much.

I have tried everything and still no luck. I even went into the cam files and edited the orientation rate and still feels like something is wrong.

I go to AC and there the horizon is locked and the car is moving around on the bumps. I cant seem to reproduce that with rF2.

Thats what I have got, horizon locked and the total lack of high frequency vibration, car moves around on the bumps. I didnt do anything special, just adjusted the JSON as instructed and used the defaul settings. In controller settings I have look ahead quite high too which is very good.
So I cant understand why you are getting vibrations like that.
Maybe just double check it has saved correctly.
It sounds like it may not be properly installed. 64 bit in 64 bit plugin bin. or 32 bit in its bin?

@David O'Reilly @jimortality

I have tried everything and still no luck.

1. I tried all the various versions from 1.0 to 1.0.3.
2. Did a fresh install of rfactor 2, installed plugins and still nothing
3. Tried it in 32 bit mode still nothing
4. Deleted all other plugin dll files and still nothing
5. In game options - head physics set to 0, look ahead 20%, plugin enabled, head vibrations off
6. player.Json settings adjusted accordingly (based on instructions from the magicfr site)

Im almost ready to give up. I cant drive with the vibrations, I get motion sick easy.

Is there any way to manually edit files and achieve the lock to horizon effect.

I read an old rF1 thread on editing orientationrate of cameras and this helps, I tried this too and still no luck.

Currently I am driving with the FISI 1.60, havent installed or tried with any other cars.

Guys I managed to find a way around the issue.
I couldnt get the plugin to work however I managed to achieve the lock to horizon by editing the cam files.

I must have been doing something wrong earlier.
1. I edited the cam files (orientation rate , set all three values to 010)
2. Repacked the MAS file
3. Repackaged all the components to create the rfcmp
4. Installed and works like a charm
Finally I can start enjoying rfactor 2.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I tried installing this. Is this how it's supposed to look in the plugins folder?

XUGKVlt.jpg

I get no effect from it at all and it doesnt show up under plugins in the game menu.

I tried installing this. Is this how it's supposed to look in the plugins folder?

XUGKVlt.jpg

I get no effect from it at all and it doesnt show up under plugins in the game menu.
I would delete the "RealHeadMotionRFactor2.dll" from your \Bin64\Plugins folder, because it's the 32bit-plugin. Maybe it interferes with the 64bit-plugin ("RealHeadMotionRFactor2_x64.dll").

@David O'Reilly @jimortality

I have tried everything and still no luck.
I don't know in which folder you've installed rF2, but if you're using the default programs-folder, you should run rF2 as admin. Perhaps it solves your problem.

Thanks but that didnt do it.

Never mind, being new to rfactor2 I just found the controls for look ahead, exaggerate yaw and head physics.

I understand the term yaw, basically side to side. But what exactly does this funktion do? I couldnt feel or see the difference when turning it up and down...

I understand the term yaw, basically side to side. But what exactly does this funktion do? I couldnt feel or see the difference when turning it up and down...
Found this somewhere else ....
Cars attain a heading angle, as they go through a corner. This heading angle is the difference between where your car is pointed and the direction your car is heading.
The "exaggerate yaw" feature rotates your driving view slightly based on the car's heading angle. This helps increase the perception of the sideways motion to enhance feel.

Try to drift the car and you'll see the difference.;)

Does this still work? I can't get ti working in either 64bit or 32bit. I changed the following in my player file:
"Cockpit Vibration Freq1":31,
"Cockpit Vibration Freq2":37,

"Head Physics":0,
"Head Physics#":"Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)",
"Head Rotation":0,

Is head physics and rotation supposed to be at 0?
Put it in bin64 folder, but the view stays locked to the cockpit with a lot of vibration.

I got it from here:
https://sites.google.com/site/midid...dmotion-plugin/real-head-motion-for-rfactor-2

I can't seem to get this working either. I followed the directions by placing the files in the correct folders and editing the player.JSON file. The plugin shows up in rF2 but I see no difference at all no matter if the plugin is enabled or not.

Its a shame because I really like rF2. I used to drive it all the time and never noticed the vibration effects. I started playing AMS for a few months and when I came back to rF2 the vibration effects were almost unbearable. I really need to get this mod working, can anyone help me?

I can't seem to get this working either. I followed the directions by placing the files in the correct folders and editing the player.JSON file. The plugin shows up in rF2 but I see no difference at all no matter if the plugin is enabled or not.

Its a shame because I really like rF2. I used to drive it all the time and never noticed the vibration effects. I started playing AMS for a few months and when I came back to rF2 the vibration effects were almost unbearable. I really need to get this mod working, can anyone help me?

I have been asking for a LONG time how to replicate AMS head physics with Realheadmotion, because you certainly cannot with stock rF2. It's not that everyone would prefer the AMS default settings, but if you can't even set those as an option in rF2, what is wrong?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%