• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Real Car Buying Decisions using Sim Racing Titles

Discussion in 'Car Culture' started by Michel Bélisle, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Alright, lets just skip on the Genesis. I don't want to be the person that steers you towards one that is a lemon. I'm just glad that mine is not going through any of the noted issues.

2. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,098
    There's no shame with owning an AWD vehicle. I've got four of them and maybe a fifth one might be on its way.

3. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    Last night, I went to a dealership and I road tested a car, for fun really. I am a bit ashamed. It is a bit unrelated to the discussion but I feel I have to come clean. I road tested a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan; a grown up car. I was intrigued by that car after watching YouTube videos. I have found expert reviews that claim it was a great value and I agree it is. A great value overall, expect for the car that I road tested yesterday.

I showed up at the dealership with an appointment taken last Friday. The Salesman was busy so he just took a photocopy of my driver's license and he gave me the keys. I drove the car in all sorts of situations for 45 minutes by myself. I had a good time. In the reviews, It is portrayed as a big luxury "Poor Man" Mercedes-Benz E-Class wannabe. It is in some ways and it is not in others. Leather everywhere, faux-wood trimmings, 8-way front seats, etc. As for the ride, it is a bit more taut than expected. I drove it hard in a couple of corners and the car just goes where you tell it to go. The steering is compliant and the suspension is firm enough not to induce much lateral weight transfer in corners. I was impressed. The brakes are good too with a smidgin of neck dive when you brake hard. The transmission is a 7-gear auto that is configured for economy but in manual mode it is good. Not spectacularly fast on shifts but OK.

I came back to the dealership with the car, the salesman was eager to talk numbers.Then, I asked him to show me a CarProof report for the car. I learned that it was a fleet car with a $5K insurance claim and that the dealer spent over $2K to refurbish the car on top of that. The salesman wanted $11,599 CAD for it. I countered with $10,000 because, after I saw the CarProof report, I was in no mood to buy that car. He came back with $11,299 and he knocked 0.5% on the interest rate for the financing. I said thank you, shook his hand and I walked out.

When I was running around with that RWD car, it was cool to feel the back end push the car. Since that car is kind of big, it reminded me car rides from the 70's that I took in my Dad's and older brother's cars.

4. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    When it comes to AWD, I am really comfortable with Subarus for a used car purchase and I am very hesitant with all other brands. Subaru has AWD figured out. AWD is their core competency. I would not fear that in a year or two I would have to spend thousand of dollars fixing the drivetrain.

However, I am a bit petrified in by an BMW XDrive or a Mercedes-Benz 4Matic. If there is major repairs on the drivetrain, it is either spending thousand of dollars to fix or send the car to the junk yard.

5. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Your searching is over. With this badass beast you'll need nothing else...Lol!
    Screenshot_20190309-224631.png

• Love Love x 1
  6. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,098
  7. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    That is interesting you mention that. This weekend I was thinking, maybe I should just get myself a cheap hatch with a manual transmission and mod the thing over time?

Like an Hyundai Accent or Suzuki SX4 for example?

8. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    It is on the list, I am a bit concerned whether theses cars are roomy enough on the interior. I am a big guy 6'/300 lbs...

9. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    Also, I have not ruled out the Hyundai Genesis Coupe either. YouTube reviews are just what they are; opinions. Some more scientific than others.

10. arthur666

arthur666

Ratings:
    +143
    Hmm, have you considered a turbo Beetle? I used work with an ex linebacker for the Patriots. He drove one because it had some serious interior room for something small and sporty. He was NOT worried about driving a "chick's" car. :p

11. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    My daily driver is a 2016 Beetle Classic. Yes, it is roomy but it is no sports car. The handling is not as crisp as a Jetta or a Golf.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,098
    I wouldn't just settle for something. I've done that in the past and i regret doing so.

13. Michel Bélisle

Michel Bélisle
    Premium

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes. I am slowing down on this big time. I am looking around and if and only if, I find what I am really looking for will I pull the trigger. In the end, it is quite possible that I don't buy anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.