REAL AIRBAG in RACING SIM WHEEL?

Hello everybody!
I bought a VW Touareg Steering Wheel from 2005 with an Airbag inside. I would like to use that as my steering wheel on my racing sim. Do you guys think it is ok to have an unpluged airbag inside the sim steering wheel? What are your thoughts? Please let me know! :)
PS: I want to make a small Touareg Cockpit

You should be ok when the airbag doesn´t get a ignition signal ( electric impulse via the cable)

But you should research the legislation for airbags in your region.

I live in Germany and am friends with a handyman who works on car seats.
He had to take training with a test to be allowed to handle seats with airbags inside, here in Germany airbags are regulated as explosive devices ( which they are !!)

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Airbags require a voltage. The electrical connection on the airbag module shorts out (both connectors join together) when the electrical plug is removed. This means it is practically impossible to provide a voltage without a plug.

The air bag module should be easily removable from the wheel. Normally a small screw driver in a slot to release it.

I tested airbags every day for several years.

Upvote 0
Airbags require a voltage. The electrical connection on the airbag module shorts out (both connectors join together) when the electrical plug is removed. This means it is practically impossible to provide a voltage without a plug.

The air bag module should be easily removable from the wheel. Normally a small screw driver in a slot to release it.

Hey thank you for your reply. Is it possible to take of the airbag-cover from the airbag?

Upvote 0
You should be ok when the airbag doesn´t get a ignition signal ( electric impulse via the cable)

But you should research the legislation for airbags in your region.

I live in Germany and am friends with a handyman who works on car seats.
He had to take training with a test to be allowed to handle seats with airbags inside, here in Germany airbags are regulated as explosive devices ( which they are !!)

MFG Carsten
Thanks for your message. I would prefer to make the airbag-remove-process in a repair shop were experts do that.

Upvote 0

I am little bit afraid of screwing it out on my own. I have no experience with airbags but I know that they are very dangerous if used inproperly. I will get to a repairshop and let it be removed :)

Upvote 0
Get one of these, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

medeng-eod10-0116-straight-crop-print.0x1920.jpg

You could also use them for blind dates during covid19!! Win-Win

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good point. I also thought about that because the touareg wheel is actually pretty big and heavy and less weight would be great for my ffb
I think you don't save like a couple of kilos there, it's a big wheel, the alloy core is also big plus the whole leather and applications on it. In this category of car also not plastic.
But it saves a bit of course.

I don't know how it is actually, but normally the cap over the airbag (you wanna keep of course for looks) is mostly one part with the airbag module itself. You have to see how to use that without the airbag module itself.

Upvote 0
I think you don't save like a couple of kilos there, it's a big wheel, the alloy core is also big plus the whole leather and applications on it. In this category of car also not plastic.
But it saves a bit of course.

I don't know how it is actually, but normally the cap over the airbag (you wanna keep of course for looks) is mostly one part with the airbag module itself. You have to see how to use that without the airbag module itself.
Yeah, actually I bought a wheel from the touareg R5 because this is my first time trying to put a real wheel on my setup and I didnt want to spend to much money on a experiment.

yes the cap is mounted on the airbag so I need to find a repairshop were they can take that off :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I think it is not possible to take off the original cover from the airbag.
However you can get dummy airbag covers quite easily online. Just take out the whole airbag, and put the cover in its place. Not sure if it's worth it though

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 340 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 8.0%
  • < 5 years