RDRC Season 5 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Finnish guys are having trouble with the EU session starting at 19:00 GMT (which is 22:00 their time).

Would the other guys running in EU sessions have problems if it was moved an hour earlier?
So, 19:00 local time for the Brits, 20:00 for central Europe, and 21:00 for the Finns.

An alternative could be a couple of extra sessions on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 15:00 GMT or something.

I just thought I would throw down some of my half assed barely thought out ideas.... I am quite sure it's not worth the read but here goes:

I always wondered why you have any grading events at all. Why not let anyone drive in which ever c'ship they want.

I understand that grading etc gives people something to aim for. But conversely it may put a few people off.

Personally I drove for years before signing up (yes, yes I hear you all cry 'well why can't you drive after all this time' but that's another debate). To be frank I wanted to run in the WRC's purely because they are great fun and the fastest to drive. I probably would not have joined if I was put to the bottom tier.I want to be playing aginst the best in the fastetst car. Even if I am last I know just how far away from the top guys I am.

I am driving the RRC right now, and throughly getting my ass handed to me by basically anyone who turns up. So I know there are some guys driving slower cars that in an equal car who leave me sitting, I would like to see them in the top flight if they want to as well. (In reality the cars per category drive so differently that its a different skill set per class)

I appreciate that some people may relish the whole 'working your way to the top' but I ain't one of them

I would be fairly sure that grading/licensing in real life has a lot to do with safety. Slow idiots like me not holding up competitors and not barrel rolling through the spectators.

But surely this is one of the great things about sims, no one here will ever get in the way or kill anyone (apart from perhaps, the other half coming in mid race and asking to have a 'chat', then they are fair game)

You could have the same set-up exactly but let who-ever wants to race in each category. Everyone's happy!

I really think we are missing the full benefits of driving on a computer, ie the choice.

Same one car change per season (early on) to allow people to perhaps change if they thought they had bitten off more than they can chew.

Also if someone wants to join mid c'ship let them just join, no-scoring, and then let them choose which they want to go for after they see how they get on.

You never know it may mean less categories and less admin.

Anywhooooo after all that I would like to state that I am quite happy with how things are, and the team have my full support for whichever way they run the show, as I said at the top, I was only wondering...

jc

There's a bit of discussion on grading in the beginning of the Season 5 rules thread here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/season-5-rules-discussion.59392/

The gist of it, from what I understand, is that the grading:
1) ensures new drivers do not pick a car too fast for them and get discouraged when they crash.
2) are able to compete against drivers of a similar skill level to them
3) to promote fair competition, by not allowing faster drivers to drive in slower competitions (re point 2)

Which all sounds good, and theoretically very nice. But in practice, I'm not so sure.

Looking over the rallies this season, there's been A LOT of retirements, in all the classes, so I'm not sure whether the choice of car plays such a big role. I know for me personally, when I crash it's due to lapses in concentration and missing pace-notes. Although a faster car doesn't allow as much time to correct as a slower one, if I'm full throttle towards a junction, I'm going to miss it in a WRC Fiesta, or an N14 Subaru.

And looking over the points table, there's clear-cut leaders in all the competition classes. And although the grade competitions are closer, personally, I don't even look at those. (besides which, the grade 3 drivers in group N cars aren't going to be able to compete with the S2000 runners.) I feel like it's a handicap, and I'd rather compare myself to other drivers in the same class, regardless of grades.

If you look at the RDRC-3 competition, where it's open to all grades, you can see that the grade 1 drivers are out in front, which is what I think the grading system tries to prevent in other categories. But personally, I don't see what the problem is with fighting for 8th place in the championship, with drivers of your skill. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun competing with drivers for 2nd place in the RDRC-2 championship, and I don't need to be fighting for first to have fun.

As long as there are a number of competitors racing, then there will be drivers with your skill level, and hence, fun will be had. If the grading system turns away a few new drivers, then for me, that's a horrible outcome.

to be honest I didnt want to add to the discussion earlier, because we had new management, the season was about to begin, and the system does work. I decided to post here and now mid season just so we could slowly and calmly pick through the pro's and con's of the rules.

I must point out that my speculation that grading puts people off is based on NO FACTS whatsoever and is just from a personal point of view, of which I am happy to be in a minority.

Bottom line is I will be racing here no matter what the format is

The Finnish guys are having trouble with the EU session starting at 19:00 GMT (which is 22:00 their time).

Would the other guys running in EU sessions have problems if it was moved an hour earlier?
So, 19:00 local time for the Brits, 20:00 for central Europe, and 21:00 for the Finns.

An alternative could be a couple of extra sessions on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 15:00 GMT or something.
Would mean a problem for me. Can never drive earlier than 21.00 CET. So GMT 19.00 or 20.00 are the best options for me.

Personally I think the grading system works very well.

Right now we have different levels of competition in each car class, which is nice as everyone has someone to fight with if for 1st or a position behind. Apart from RDRC-3 but that already shows the whole problem if we could choose any category. If you see the standings there are 2 clearly faster guys (even if 1 of them didn´t compete the last 2 rallies), then there is Sion and behind him a group of 3 guys actually competing with eachother. The rest either isn´t regularly competing or just in a class of their own.

If everyone would choose freely we would probably see huge competition in the WRC class with 30 starters, but all the other classes would be almost empty and you would rarely get any competition at all because those few starters probably have totally different speed levels.

Also the grading system gives a bit extra motivation to improve and climb up the grades. When I entered I would have liked to drive a S2000 or WRC car, but I´m to slow so I had to settle for a lower class and a slower car but at least that gives me the chance to restart my rallying practice of some sort and improve from there, instead of just jumping in a fast car where i would probably fail at half of the stages.

Review videos after every round would be cool. But the time delay, and effort involved in making them would be quite excessive. So I had an idea for something that yields a lot of the same benefits, but without that time-delay: A post-round audio review.

Pros

-Could be posted the same day as the rally results, so users could instead choose to listen to the program, instead of viewing the results directly, and hence get more excitement, as a sense of progression over the rally is achieved.
-Much more portable, users can listen to the program anywhere.
-Doesn't matter that DNF replays can't be saved, because they can be described.

Cons

-No visual element.
-Less attractive to non-competitors, and hence unlikely to bring any new recruits.

Anyway, just an idea I had, curious what you guys think.

I had an idea for next season.

I noticed that the sign-ups tend to be dropping off as the season progresses. I think (although I am just guessing) that a lot of this has to do with the difficulty of this game and number of retirements.

So I had an idea to address that, something targeted towards beginners, so they don't feel intimated, and something that aims to teach them how to drive safely, and quickly.

So my idea was the RDRC Academy. But a little bit different to how the real-life WRC academy is run.
Firstly, since this is a simulation, budgets aren't an issue, and so different cars could be assigned for different rounds, to give the drivers the chance to feel how different types of cars feel on different surfaces.
The points system should be slightly different to the other categories, with bonus points assigned for each completed stage, to encourage gaining experience, and finishing a rally even after an off.
Video lessons by experienced drivers. I know we have a few on here (drivers), but it would be a commitment from them if they were to partake, but on the plus side, the videos could be used year after year, and could also be made public, so not only the academy drivers could watch them (and hence hopefully prevent competent drivers from driving in the academy to try it out)

I was thinking maybe a few rounds with an R1, then go on to an R2, then R3, then try a RWD, a few other cars, before eventually progressing to a Group N for the final round of the season, in preparation for next season (or maybe a Group N penultimate, followed by an S2000 the next round)(also, I think the drivers should be ineligible for the respective championships points during those rounds, so as not to confuse the standings).

This gives the drivers a progressive arc, whilst still making progress within the season, and not getting frustrated. Obviously, it would be contingent on competent drivers willing to donate their time in planning lessons, and additionally effort from the organizers to set-up a different class. But I think that player retainment is a key issue for this championship, and issues to combat that should be made.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years