RDRC S9 Round 7 - Rally Scotland (26th April - 2nd May 2021)

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
DDCQ5Jr.jpg

This will be the first time that we visit Scotland in the RDRC. We've been to Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales multiple times, so it's just fair that we also visit the home of Colin McRae! The stages is far from easy, they are fast and has a lot of dangers around. In addition to this, it's typical muddy British conditions, and they have been inspired by Wales some years ago when it comes to how to set up a rally. This will be a very challenging rally, covering 128km of special stages. This will be an experience for all the participants, and it's clear that it's more than just outright speed that will be important here!

After Some of the different classes and championships have already been decided, but there is still a lot to fight for in the championship. It will also be very interesting to see if RDRC-2 gave throw in a seventh different winner in seven events. It's been a very interesting season in that class, that's for sure! a slight change in the standings after the tarmac made a difference in Spain, we are not any closer to any drivers taking any class-titles early. The fight for the titles and podiums are raging on, both overall and in the different classes. We didn't get an outright RDRC-2 win last time out, and while it looks unlikely that it will happen this season it is certainly possible. The last time RDRC visited New Zealand it was the same feeling, but that gave MINI and Emil Pribanic their only overall-win, so this is a rally that can throw up a surprise or three!
To read more about Scotland, how New Zealand unfolded, what the different drivers needs to do to clinch a championship and more, take a look at our Rally Magazine for Scotland:

View the Scotland Edition of the RDRC Rally Magazine here.
Download
the Scotland Edition of the RDRC Rally Magazine here (29mb)

RDRC Rally Magazine is designed and developed by: RACEM (Jack Hintz), Ole Marius Myrvold and Michael Nelson

C5Ys7Cu.png

Important Notes:
  • The Rally is from 26th April 00:00 UTC+1 until 2nd May 23:59 UTC+1. You must finish and have uploaded your times from the last stage before the end-time to register the stage result.
  • Remember to join the correct league/club for the class you drive in. If not, you will not be able to participate.
  • If your name on the results shown at dirtrally2.dirtgame.com doesn't match what you signed up with, or doesn't match what you have on the official entry list (see first post in the Sign-Up thread) and fail to inform us about your correct name within 48 hours of the provisional results being published. You will be removed from the results. There will be no exceptions to this. See Directors Note for rules-clarification on this.
  • If you haven't signed up, you can do that here. You must sign-up to be able to participate. The sign-up must be accepted and valid before the end of the rally to be accepted.
  • Feel free to take screenshots and videos and share it in our Rally World Thread. Screenshots can be end up being included in the next magazine!
  • Feel free to share your experience from the rally in this thread, share the perfect runs and the perfect failures! All in the name of fun!
  • Driving in more than one class will lead to an instant DQ(removal) from the results.
  • Any rule changes will be posted in the Directors Note Thread. Please keep yourself updated on any changes.
  • Good luck and have fun!! :)

Aaaand with that the thread for the season-finale is open! WoopWoop!

As usual lately the Magazine is a bit late. Sorry for this.
Also, the itinerary is... challenging. I feel like this have been hinted towards at various points during the season, so for some of you, this is probably not a surprise!

The whole RDRC-Crew wishes everyone good luck for this last event (we know it's likely that good luck is needed here!), have fun, and share the last experiences of the season! It's always fun and interesting to see and read! :)

What tires???
I've used this before, but it can't be used too much.

ouch! I will suffer! 75 km on day 2?
that is insane!
I hate you!:unsure: (Not really)
But then, I’ll do my best, and try to make it to stage 3...
FUN! :)

Hehe, it will be a though one, and while you might not - I am sure others will hate me. Maybe even myself. I don't like Scotland, wet gravel or night. Haha :)

However, FUN is right - these rallies tends to be massive fun even when the itinerary looks scary!

Had a single mission, to finish in one piece without major mistakes as in PL. Outcome: failed

As always, done in one go. Only had 1 stage warmup.
Until Service B everything went fine, spent the first 5 stages getting used to a slower tyre (and pace) than usual to increase survival chances for the last leg. With a fully repaired car and time to spare, SS6 started with a hiccup. Had a slow rollover that sent me tumbling downhill.
Some stages later, I spun on a wet square corner, and spent a bit too much with 2 wheels stuck on a ditch a couple of times. Car was still fine after SS11, all good.
On SS12 I fell off the road early and had a major frontal hit. Car got badly damaged on worn tyres, then I failed to avoid crashing thrice against trackside objects that brought me to full stops. These added to nearly 50s over the (already poor) SS6 night run on the same stage. Not the end I had in mind for this rally and series, compromising a final top10.

Honestly, as in AR, I much prefer this sort of grinding itinerary than the constant happy hour that NZ was, for as much as I'm terrible on Scotland. I hope in the future the RDRC crew considers sharing surface degradation info per stage (as in the RD Club), because that knowledge can be vital to avoid surprise accidents on first sectors, specially by the mid to end of a leg.

This was my farewell to DR2, and RDRC S9 was the best send off it could have. It comes to a point where the limited content loses it's charm, unless you want to properly learn stages.
Hopefully for RDRC S10, whenever it might be, I'll finally be on a wheel. This OG white xbox 360 controller might now be older than some participants. :roflmao:

Thank you all, and good luck for the remaining stages

Last edited:
Took one look at the itinerary and I just know for a fact that I'll have to take a time penalty at the service. Probably to fix my wheel geometry for the last time this season :roflmao:

I actually have never ran a stage in Scotland with the Mk. II Fiesta up to this point, so we'll see what sort of times I can get. The sponsors were surprisingly quite okay with my results from NZ despite me coming short of their set objectives so they agreed to fund me for this final event (though one sponsor did threaten to pay me only in instant noodles if I can't finish the rally...).

Gonna take the whole Monday to readjust my mental notes and the setup, will update after I'm through with the first day.

Good luck to everyone, it's all or nothing for this one!

Took one look at the itinerary and I just know for a fact that I'll have to take a time penalty at the service. Probably to fix my wheel geometry for the last time this season :roflmao:

It might actually be wise to take a small time penalty on the service in this rally!

Damn! Moisture is the essence of wetness eh? The twitchy Stratos is gonna be a handful with this itinerary :unsure:

Jack said he kinda liked the Stratos in Scotland I think.

Survived day 1 of the rally. Out of an abundance of caution I took 2 spare tyres, but I think I went far too slowly, I used none of them and only need about 6 minutes of service, most of which was to repair damage accrued on the last stage where I went wide at one of the right handers near the start of the stage. So plenty of time left on the table for those brave enough to find it!

Survived day 1 of the rally. Out of an abundance of caution I took 2 spare tyres, but I think I went far too slowly, I used none of them and only need about 6 minutes of service, most of which was to repair damage accrued on the last stage where I went wide at one of the right handers near the start of the stage. So plenty of time left on the table for those brave enough to find it!

Also plenty of time to shove off the table for those who gets a bit too eager, eh :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 495 39.1%