RDRC S9 Round 3 - Rally Argentina (1st March - 7th March 2021)

Ahhh i manage to finish this rally, that is the only good ting after this event.
I just don't like driving here so no practice, i started a stage a few times but did not get to the first split so i give up that. I startet off the rally as the grandfather i am, slow but not steady,
Nevertheless i manage to go off in stage 2 and had a spin in stage 3. After that i start driving like my wife (the grandmother) very slow and maybe a little more steady, that result in that i manage to get to the end of this rally in one pice, but slowly.
Looking forward to the next one and forget about this one.

Last edited:
Oh boy, here comes the worst rally for me personally since starting this championship:

As described already @Michael Springer and myself had an utter lack of preparation due to participating in a different endurance event last weekend, so as compared to the usual 3-4 practice sessions we've just had one which was on the Monday after Sweden. Furthermore, Argentinia has got to be my least favourite location in this game, even surpassing Spain, which is quite a feat on its own if you think about DR2.0s lovely tarmac physics.

SS1 went okayish, but I had some pretty nasty graphical artifacts in the car which cost me around 10sec on this stage as compared to my practice run. Lead to me restarting the game. At least the graphical glitches were gone by then. :thumbsup:

night.jpg

SS2 was without hiccups, SS3 lead to me ditching the car in that 1 Left. I rolled the car down the ditch, had only cosmetical damage, but still needed to reset. Yikes. SS4 and SS5 went without further ****ups, at least if I remember correctly. (Currently busy trying to forget this rally!).

I liked the rainy stages as it was just slight showers not impeding the visibility, but actually improving the vision due to taking the dust out of the air. I think I rolled the car another time down the ditch in SS7 there still.

Final service arrived and the car was fixed up quite nicely, but I was quite annoyed by an utter lack of pace in the meantime. At least @Ole Marius Myrvold and @Daniel Monteiro kept us three company a bit in the stream chat, so thanks for joining in on this nightmare!

In the final devilish long leg of this rally I really had some grip issues and just wanted to be done with it. I threw the car a third time down the ditch (see ****up.jpg):

****up.jpg

And finally arrived after collecting about thirty or more rocks on the final stages of the rally. Argh. Car was pretty borked at this stage, tires felt like raw eggs, but hey, at least I arrived. And without punctures actually, as compared to my poor mate @Michael Springer

finish.jpg

BRING ON POOOOOOOOOOOOOLAND! At least I like the stages there, however, still not a lot of practice in that country either. Lets see how it goes. This time there is no concurring other event in another sim, so practice time should be back to normal. Good luck to all of you, you'll need it! :p

well... at this moment it is not fun anymore...

After last service i started with two spares (i checked!)
I punctured one tire on the rear in stage 9 i believe, but no others..
Until stage 11..

Puncture on left front just before the end of the stage, "no worries" i thought, i have one more spare wheel in the back..
So i started the powerstage and right of the line i noticed the wheel was not changed..
So i stopped the car to force a change, but no, not possible..

F****!

Broke the car down more and more trough the powerstage and ended with a stagetime where a descent bicyclist can beat me...
The rest of the rally was ok.. some minor mishaps but nothing too much...

Really lost some motivation on this one...

www.twitch.tv/videos/934298567

Last edited:
All went well until the power stage, when early on I went too fast into a 1 right and punctured the front left tyre. Fortunately I did have a spare in the back and took the minute's pain straight away. To be fair it was the right decision, in fact it transformed the handling for a couple of sectors and I went only 50 seconds slower than on the first pass, despite the older tyres.

Here's my video from stages 6 and 7, back when all the tyres worked and hadn't worn down to jelly.

Looking forward to Poland, a rally famous for all of its service stops ;)

First day complete and no dramas thankfully.

First shock came straight away because I haven't driven the Renault much before I decided to switch to it, but thankfully there have been a lot of H3 RWD events so I got some practice in. What I forgot though is that the car I used for the events only has the Stage 1 engine power compared to here where it's got the full tune, so launching off the line for the shakedown was a bit of a surprise.

Took screenshots this time instead of going on twitch as it's a bit sore on my computer streaming in VR. I even managed to remember to put the correct number on the car this time though:
1.jpg

The first stage was a nice chance to stretch the new legs in the mean green machine:
2.jpg

Lights required coming into the shadow of the rocks. These people on the bridge blocking a good shortcut though:
3.jpg

Into the night stages and the plan was to be precise and not overdrive the car:
4.jpg

Except for a chance to scare the marshalls by coming through the timing gate on opposite lock:
5.jpg

By the last stage much of the grip was gone but I managed to get it home okay; but am no wiser on what to do with tyres on day 2. Hmm...
6.jpg

Hi. I have been having some issues with my internet connection today and it keeps cutting out from time to time. The problem is that i was doing my Rodeo stage when one of those cuts happened and when uploading my time of course it couldn't find the server. After a while the internet was on again and i saw on the dirtrally2.dirtgame.com website that my time was not uploaded, so i tried to do it again. The problem is that when i started dirt rally, it started on the stage after rodeo. So now i am missing the rodeo time.
Is there any solution or way to remake that stage?
Tks in advanced.

Hi. I have been having some issues with my internet connection today and it keeps cutting out from time to time. The problem is that i was doing my Rodeo stage when one of those cuts happened and when uploading my time of course it couldn't find the server. After a while the internet was on again and i saw on the dirtrally2.dirtgame.com website that my time was not uploaded, so i tried to do it again. The problem is that when i started dirt rally, it started on the stage after rodeo. So now i am missing the rodeo time.
Is there any solution or way to remake that stage?
Tks in advanced.
Sorry mate.. that's a DNF for you.. :/

Oh well...:(

Thanks for the quick reply buddy.

That's sadly correct.

Now, for people livestreaming the whole thing in one go, I can, in theory fix the stage-times if there is a upload-bug.
With that I mean, it's doable, it just takes quite some time. It also gives a potential advantage to those with powerful enough computer/enough bandwith (as I know, while I've never had it at all, I know there are many places in the world with limits on monthly DL/UL) etc. So for that reason, a DNF/No-time is a DNF.

If you do get the "failed to connect to steam". Wait it out a little bit, the retry. If you "give up" then it will be a DNF.
I'll try to remember it in future event notes, but IIRC Steam has weekly maintenance that takes 10-15 minutes. If you do the rally in that time, you just have to wait for the maintenance to be done before the "retry" actually works.

Second RD rally for me after missing out on Sweden. Knew from practice that I needed to be cautious of the "left one tightens" pacenotes which could very easily send you hurtling off a cliff. So slow and steady was the mantra :)

Managed to keep it on the road and between all the rocks through both the night stages and the rainy bits, but when Phil said "don't cut" and I heard "cut" somewhere on stage 11 I ended up with a smashed front fender and headlight on my lovely Stratos. A frantic few seconds of Austin Powers-style three point turns and we were off again. I only had the fast times of Jack Hintz to compare to, and was trailing him by 10 to 30 seconds on most stages, except for the last one.

I drive in vr so no screenshots from the actual rally, but here's a couple from testing. Eat my dust (not hard to do ;))

20210303105007_1.jpg

20210303105923_1.jpg

20210303110031_1.jpg

Last edited:
I drive in vr so no screenshots from the actual rally, but here's a couple from testing.

Nice screenshots. If you have the Rift, How I get them in VR is to run the oculus mirror utility (needed to stream DR2 as well without the double vision) then take print screens of that from the monitor. Paste into photoshop (you could use paint) and quickly crop the edges. Not sure if there's an equivalent for other headsets.

Nice screenshots. If you have the Rift, How I get them in VR is to run the oculus mirror utility (needed to stream DR2 as well without the double vision) then take print screens of that from the monitor. Paste into photoshop (you could use paint) and quickly crop the edges. Not sure if there's an equivalent for other headsets.

Thanks, I need to look into if I can get screenshots from the steamvr window.

I had no idea I could be so slow, even when the stages are already slow :O_o:

First day finished, and with barely any practice, it was all about survival... But of course, the traps one finds during the recce were all a surprise to me, so yeah, I did manage to fall off the road on that right turn just before the bridge :geek:

But all in all it was ok. Despite being already more than two minutes behind the next driver, I enjoyed the challenge and the night atmosphere was on point and hopefully those spectators in their tents managed to fall asleep at some point :)

Rd3 Argentina ss5 a .jpg

The rocks were a solid friend; a very good friend - that friend which is also not afraid to hit you back if you hit it with no reason.

Rd3 Argentina ss5 c.jpg

Literally in the hill's valley, the Vale da Serra team makes its way through the last stage before the overnight break, where some tasty Argentinian steak awaits.

Rd3 Argentina ss5 e.jpg

See you at service, survivors!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%