RDRC S9 Round 2 - Rally Sweden (15th February - 21st February 2021)

Well, had my RDRC-3 run on the little 5 Turbo. I'm usually terribly slower than avg on Sweden, more so with this short MR car (or the Stratos) that scares me on the fast sections while hovercrafting on snow.

It was a bit of a relief to set the first times without any pressure except for the first two stages "against" Daniel's times. Without much surprise, on slower zones I recovered some time, only to lose it all on the faster sections where I seriously wished for something more stable to step on 5th gear. If @Daniel Monteiro goes back to the snow soon, I hope he has the same fun chasing my times on a very PT turbo battle :laugh: .

I was particularly weary of the fast Hamra stages (the first half where ugly crashes can happen), but these went event-less except for my :sleep: pace. In the end it was in Ransbysäter on both S5 and S12 where I spun twice by grazing inner snowbanks when braking unbalanced in fast sections, and lost some extra time by having to reverse - lucky enough without damage to the front. Specially on S12, right at the beginning I struggled a lot with grip to boost my way out of corners.

See you all at the hotel, and stay/drive safe! :coffee:

I knew you were going to be faster overall regardless, so when I saw at the end of the stage (I don't use split times) that our times were close, I already knew something unusual had happened to you :p You will shine again, and the next tarmac rally should be yours to lose ;)

So, my home event. I like it, but for some reason the clock is running very fast for me here so expectations where not sky high. The first few stages i was banging the snow walls quite hard and didn't really get into any rhytm, also took time to do a spin here and there. After the first service it started feeling better and my confidence grew, a top 5 finish was within reach!

Last loop was also god to begin with, but only 500m into SS11 i nugded a snow bank going out of a flat left hander, throwing the Polo into a violent roll. When it finally came to a stop i realised my right rear was flat. To begin with i thought of carrying on but only 500m later i brushed another snowbank, and decided it was time to change the wheel.
Speedy replace meant i lost just one minute before i was set to go again. Pushed hard on the power stage but unfortunately i've fallen out of the top ten.

SS11 crash on Twitch clip

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

My rally was really bad, trying to survive a small hit in the banking in the first 500 meters... The radiator starting leaking, by the 3rd stage, that climbed to an engine problem, and by stage 6 I retired with no engine, by the end of the first 2 inter, I was losing 3 minutes... So, see you guys in the next rally.

Attachments

• 20210217165740_1.jpg
    20210217165740_1.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 104
Puncture on Stage 1, and then a bogey radiator for the last stint meant a poopy engine for the last three stages... Not that it made that much of a difference because I had no front-left tire for the last two stages and no spare for some reason. Do I have to replace the spare after service?

In keeping with comparing my epic RD Rally comeback to the life of 80s action movies, I feel Elton John's Measure Of A Man from the closing titles of Rocky V sums up my Rally Sweden.

(For those curious, the measure of this man is 182cm)

Here's to Argentina, the land of steak, or so I hear.

Good night, and God bless my friends!

bob-ross-1.jpg

Puncture on Stage 1, and then a bogey radiator for the last stint meant a poopy engine for the last three stages... Not that it made that much of a difference because I had no front-left tire for the last two stages and no spare for some reason. Do I have to replace the spare after service?

(For those curious, the measure of this man is 182cm)

That's a thing I haven't thought about, replacing spares. But I know that the game at times sends you out with no spares. So I advice to take a look at the "spare tyres" tab in the service as well. Just to be sure to have the right amount of spares (0, 1 or 2).

So, I am, literally lesser of a man then. lol! :laugh:

Coming to this rally I had a feeling it may go better for me than Monte Carlo. During practice I was setting time trial times near or in the top 100 which was not a case at all previously.

It all started quite well on SS 1-5. Pace was good I made couple of sillly small mistakes from being a bit stressed. The biggest one being a half spin at the of stage 4. I felt like I was flying on that one and right at end I hit a snowbank a bit to hard in the fast section at the end. Lost me couple of seconds but nothing too big.

SS 6-8 went good. No major mistakes, not too many small ones. I was very happy.

And then it was time for the last 4 long stages. All of them went very good.

Except one.

On SS12 there is a left 3 corner that to me is more of a left 2. I sadly forgot about it, braked too late and hit the snowbank pretty hard. I was praying for the tires to be fine. Sadly a couple seconds later Phil says to me that we have a right front puncture. Moments of anger pass and it was time for a decision. Do I replace the tire or not? I decide to go on and see how it will feel. I was not sure how far away I am from the finish (I don't have the HUD on) so it was quite risky. After a bit I decided to finish on 3 tires. The car felt surprisingly fine and it proved to be the right decision. I was 54 seconds behind the fastest time. There was no chance for me to do that time with the 1 minute loss of time for the tire change.

All this and I finished P11 overall. Same as in Monte Carlo which is a bit disappointing.
If not for that puncture I think P6 overall would be possible but that's rally.

Let's hope for more luck in Argentina. Something tells me we're all gonna need it on these extreme roads.

Dirt Rally 2 Screenshot 2021.02.16 - 14.45.38.83.png

Last edited:
P12 and therefore out of the Top 10 :(, lets see if I am able to bounce back into the Top 10 in Argentinia :D I have a feeling that the further we are into the championship, the harder it will become to score points as the number of competent competitiors will be just going up from here on.

34th in class isn't all that great but definitely an improvement over the season opener so I'm happy with that! My run was filled with small little mistakes here and there, a roll or two towards the end when I tried to force some good pace but just wasn't supposed to be. Argentina usually was a rather good Rally for me so I'm hoping to break into the top 30 at least. If I don't crash out of course.

I couldn't do Sweden due to travelling for work, so I did an offline version for myself today.

I gotta say I can't understand why the swedes fill their snowbanks with suspension wrecking rocks. Here in Norway snowbanks are made out of snow and ice :whistling:

Now onto Argentina, and I gotta say I'm loving the Stratos there. Dunno if it's fast though, but it sure feels at home on the narrow twisty stages!

I gotta say I can't understand why the swedes fill their snowbanks with suspension wrecking rocks. Here in Norway snowbanks are made out of snow and ice :whistling:

Now onto Argentina, and I gotta say I'm loving the Stratos there. Dunno if it's fast though, but it sure feels at home on the narrow twisty stages!

The Swedes put some weird stuff in the snowbanks between 2017(DR1) and 2019(DR2). That's for sure. Then again, they are Swedes, eh? *nudge nudge, wink wink*

It's a good preparation for Argentina though, there the rocks aren't hidden by snow. Hah! :)

That's a thing I haven't thought about, replacing spares. But I know that the game at times sends you out with no spares. So I advice to take a look at the "spare tyres" tab in the service as well. Just to be sure to have the right amount of spares (0, 1 or 2).
In my experience, when I've used one or both of the spares, the spares tab shows fewer (or 0) the next time I opened it. I was only checking because I'm not used to DR2 yet, but it was not at all what I expected.

In my experience, when I've used one or both of the spares, the spares tab shows fewer (or 0) the next time I opened it. I was only checking because I'm not used to DR2 yet, but it was not at all what I expected.

Shouldn't be though. It is supposed to stay at the same number of spares every service. But as Ole said, always double check tyres before pressing continue

i have never compete r2 in sweden before, and i am not a fan of those narrow snow banked roads but with this little car it was unexpectedly fun. i started with great stage times in first 3 stages. but after that my lack of experience on snow pull me down from top 5 positions. exploding tyres, rolls and crashes here and there, take me down from point scoring places.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.7%