RDRC S8 Round 4 - Rally Finland (27th March - 2nd April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there she is, parked up on the side of the road with terminal engine damage midway through SS10 :cry:

Was flying high in the top 10 at around SS6 so it's a bit of a bummer. A good learning experience for me though! (dont go over every jump at top speed lol)

Good luck to everyone :cool:

I also crashed out on stage 10. Only had one more section to go but the car was as good as stuffed!
Was not looking forward to Finland but quite enjoyed it while it lasted

Apologies for my no show last rally, just got out of hospital mid week with a huge infection in my hand needing 3 operations to clear. Hope to make it to Finland.

Time to take the nice shiny Team Fate Rally Kadett and pummel it some more. Spent quite a while tuning before I started because it seems the Kadett likes to be in the air. With my base setup anytime you landed a big jump the rear end would bottom and rebound followed by the front end it was like riding a rodeo steer. I finally managed to tame that quite a bit and like what I have so far. Got through the first three stages with no major mistakes and close to or setting new PR's. Presently sitting 14th overall and 1st in 2wd- (I know that won't last). Really like Finland because it reminds me of a back road in Ohio I used to drive in my youth in a Opel Manta or a Plymouth Fire Arrow. Lots of Mid corner jumps and blind turns. (all at strictly legal speeds, mind you;)). Here's a few pics from the first stages and I'll be posting up some videos later.
226315ADCE9E92D80577B0C4545856D6E26EC47C

8892CFFDBF617061E8567317CD09EC584BBE0DB6

8A8824782C77F65D471CB288E8EDB309A007272E

A43274FB49028914F0C065E97F77D21081F6556D

A54AB3706B49DCD78F7FAFFFB6B66DD093FA6021

FDF6CF184D1E54D9A2C536777797B2627257AC99

• Deleted member 217114

Nice stuff, mate. Hopefully my csw 2.5 arrives tomorrow so I can fiddle with it a bit and then take for a ride on Thursday. It's going to be awesome I hope. 8 Newtown steering with kadett must be hard. Imagine direct wheel with 20+ Newton, hehe

..:: RALLY REPORT FINLAND "OASIS RALLYSPORT" ::..

Our driver Lutz Müller (Race Net Name: Walter Röhrl) finished his Finland Rally yesterday. Here's the report of his journey through the finish woods...

SS1: In his new livery - to celebrate Walter Röhrl's 70th birtday earlier this month - the Lancia Delta saw a rainy morning at Oksala.
rdrc_fin_01.jpg

Lutz had a nervous start, "safety first" was his motto as he did not want to loose all motivation caused by a fatal mistake. He had a clean run through the rain and P2 in 4WD- class (For the moment).
rdrc_fin_02.jpg

rdrc_fin_03.jpg

SS2: Another clean run at Jyrkysjärvi without any mistakes, despite the loss of rhythmn at about halfway. Still 2nd in class behind "Crazyhorse" Andy Jobin.

SS3: The first long stage held at Hämelahti - and the sun came out at Finland.The first half of Hämelahti was Jyrkysjärvi (SS2) so Lutz started very confident into this...much to confident...
rdrc_fin_04.jpg

That moment when your rear tyre explodes bit hitting the stones...:poop::poop::poop:
He went far to right over a crest and while flying around he already realised that the landing would be everything but comfortable...and some flips & rollovers werde added to the exploded tyre. Goodbye you lovely motivation... Mentally Finland was done at this point for him :cautious:

The car got back to the service at P9 in class with a loss of about 2 minutes.
The team thought about what to do: "All or nothing - DNF or podium :laugh:" or simply go on concentrated and safe in case other competitors might also make such mistakes or get a puncture. We decided to choose option 2 :p

SS4 and SS5 saw a clean run by Lutz who got back into the rhythmn of the woods in a heavy deformated Lancia Delta...
rdrc_fin_05.jpg

rdrc_fin_06.jpg

SS6: A long stage at night with a clear sky and all the stars looking down at us... What a scene...
rdrc_fin_07.jpg

The night went well and Lutz got the car safe back to the service at the end of Day 1 - Good night!

SS7: Day 2 started as day 1 with rain and the car felt somehow slow - maybe caused by the warning lamps for motor and radiator. With a slower car you make less mistakes than with a faster car - so did Lutz and set a clean start into day 2 :ninja:

SS8: Kailajärvi in the rain - clean & solid run by Lutz.

SS9: One to forget :mad: Lutz had 2 spins and needed help by the spectators to get the car back on the wheels again... Hello motivation...where are you??? :cautious:

SS10: Pitkäjärvi in the sun and against all fears of Co-Driver C. Geistdörfer he didn't have to change a tyre during this 7:20min run as Lutz made no mistakes :p Service Park reached...

SS11: At Paskuri the car felt even slower but still good to handle...clean run!

SS12: Kailajärvi at night and just 1s slower than in the rain this morning, nice one!

SS13: Last long stage at Finland and last stage at night - and it was great fun. Lutz dived completely into the rhythmn of the jumps and crests...slow (car) but constant ;)

SS14: Day 3 saw 4 short stages on the schedule, starting at Iso Oksjärvi - and no rain :) The car still damaged quite heavily Lutz added a deformated door as he hit the finish marks after a clean run :thumbsdown:
rdrc_fin_08.jpg

SS15 and SS16 were free of mistakes and brought a lot of fun...

rdrc_fin_09.jpg

SS17: Final stage at Finland - Naarajärvi. Lutz had a spin in the last sector when hitting an obstacle, aftterwards the car made a strange sound...a bit like a whistle, but neither Lutz or Co-Driver Christian were able to recognize the song behind the melody :roflmao:
Finished at last :thumbsup:
rdrc_fin_10.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my little report and wishing all the best to those who are about to come...

Rally Finland Completed.

I had a good rally, better than I expected with a satisfying pace throughout all of the stages, with only one roll at the end of the last stage. I'm happy that I could keep the car in good shape and only had the radiator light on at the end of stage 10.
For now, I finished second behind Ariwalk but I'm sure that there are going to be drivers that will be a lot faster than me.
Here is how I have done.

In the first part I went for a small test and the actual stuff begins at 11-th minute.

Enjoy

• Deleted member 217114

Lutz report reminds me of that awesome matchreport of Hattrick. An awesome football game. Well done, mate

Subaru is, actually, not invunerable to punctures.

Also not immune to engine failures in the night*. A ghost story in the making? :p

*Put me out of my misery anyway - busy me had no time to practice and I was having a dreadful rally as a result! :cry:

great reports all around!
started my rally yesterday night and was happy to have at least done a recce of stages one and two the night before. Like Lutz I decided to take slitherin' stage one easy and thankfully survived. stages two and three i raised the amp a little and still stayed on track except for one tiny off after the very last jump on stage three. So far the Lancia feels fine thanks to a set provided by my teammate Thomas L., also he stiffened the suspension so much that after repairs almost all my values will be at 100%, good job, Thomas!
Stages 4-6 to be tackled tonight, and so forth until I finish the event on Saturday (fingers crossed).

Did my "pre event test" in my real rallycar, driving the first gravelevent of the season here in Sweden. Won my class and finished 15th overall in this "blind" rally without pacenotes.

Went on to tackle the finnish roads today and apart from a few stupid mistakes im kinda happy with my performance. I dont think it will be enough to win the class but hopefully a top-5 position.

Drove the first 6 stages yesterday with the strategy of being better safe than sorry, and trying to bring the car home avoiding too much damage since Finland is most definately not my favourite rally. Something that would prove to be quite a challenge, damn those jumps are hard on the cooling! At first service everything was going well, involved in an intense battle for the class lead (at the moment) with @Borgen with only four tenths separating us :D Second loop continued in a good pace, loosing a couple fo seconds but still in the fight. However on the final night stage things started to go wrong, had some moments early in the stage and towards the end also went off and i had to reverse to get back on track. Finished leg 1 about 10 seconds off the lead, so we are still in the fight! :ninja:

20170329191629_1.jpg
20170329191716_1.jpg
20170329194121_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years