RDRC S8 Round 2 - Rally Sweden (13th - 19th February 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
welp, finally got around to finishing. Cant say I enjoyed it. The only enjoyment I got was watching guys leave Discord with "im gonna do a few stages now" and come back 40 minutes LATER screaming "OMG THE PACENOTES ARE PURE WANK!"

I destroyed my car on day 2 after a crash on a "3 right" (that was way tighter than a 3) that I was told about after i launched off a jump. I got a 15 second recovery for merely brushing a snowbank with the quarter panel on a corner exit and I hit an invisible wall in the middle of the road in one of the final stages.

I hope Sweden is just a weak one for codemasters, I hope the other venues are better. Monaco was good, this was a very buggy disappointment.

Man this Sweden was hard as a cement apple
Day 1
Did it during the week and just pissed myself, did only a few runs of each stage and I was confident, what a moron I was. End of day 1 was sitting in 3ed, with 5sec ahead of @Kieran Poole, 30sec behind K. Johannson and all most 1min behind @PresidentSmug, so my work was cut out for me, was focusing on getting 3ed or 2nd by the end.
Day 2
Well, I knew I was going to be home for the weekend and Friday night when I did arrive home, dove right in. Saturday morning was still doing stages and looking for setups, Ismail was bonkers fast, I was struggling to get withing 5sec of him.
I know that going full manual is harder but it's also faster in the same regard SEQ it's easier but slower, especially at changing gears so spent 2-3h trying manual everything I was about 10-15sec slower than my PB's so reverted to SEQ.
Tested some more and @Evilsmurf helped me a bit and I was hitting my times, 3 stages do I could not go under 5sec gap to Ismail but the rest of the stages I was even faster by 1-2 sec.
Come Sunday afternoon to get my **** together and do Day 2, and I was a bit cocky as Johanson had a very poor stage 9 so was counting on that but on stage 8 I lost about 15sec to a massive spin.....argh....anyway.
Stage 9 nailed and I was 10sec behind Johansson, the light at the end of the tunnel was in front of me.SS10-11-12-13 it was back and forward but at the end fo day, 2 was 8sec behind, with only day 3 left.
Day 3
8sec to be or not to be, was thinking that 3ed it's enough as Kieran was about 25sec behind but wanted to be 2nd so I was equal on points with Ismail, decided to push and push I did, beating Johansson in every stage from day 3 wich gave me 2nd place by some 8sec I think, yey for me

What I have learned
- Ismail is gone, unless the other guy's start doing some more work, will see on gravel how it stands
- need to focus for Germany, maybe another podium, as gravel stages, especially Finland will be crazy crazy scary
- best league ever

thank you

Finished in 68'th place before the last 8 hours. Closer to the top than the bottom. Far from the best Group B-car, and my team-mate, and having no group B cars behind me tells me it could have been better. I was too careless and trying too hard with a very unstable car. In fact could have done much better than this if I had a modern car or even a RWD-car. This 4WD 1980's car bounces like a rabbit. If you have the 2000-2010 class here, it's as comfortable as a limousine in comparison. So my warmup with a Ford Focus 2001 was not good. Then I managed to get close to personal best, but this was failure. In the straighter sections I was better, so I could go fast without too much problems, but the problems was the twisty stages where I usually find I am faster.
6DFB2E212E59F82357D8A88B7AF9C6A82D67F786
924C33AEA89D3FF7C655D44EDB831077CE72ED8D

Last edited:
Well, 2nd event, 2nd time Dirt Rally and Oculus have conspired to screw me. At the start of the next stage after saving, Oculus starts in theatre mode and even though I have a saved game it is impossible to quit try again (you just lose all of your stages, despite them being on the server) or even adjust the graphics settings to kick into action... So DNF for me, I don't see that I'll ever have the time to play 17 stages through in one sitting... was super happy with my times too.

Can't you just after a save, start a custom rally 1 stage, and test the oculus settings?
I take it you pressed save and quit. Then next day or something you start dirt again, straight into leagues. Because save and quit just to save is pointless. Upload to racenet happes every stage. If possible drive until the checkpoint services. From there you can restart if oculus farts you, by alt f4 the game.
Losing your stages is supposed to happen because otherwise if you crash you could just crash the game and start the same stage again. Basically the same as retry.

I had the same issue with my rift after the first checkpoint, but it only does it for the one stage then it's back to normal.
I think its just a bug in leagues mode to be honest.

So, that was a terrible rally. Me and my 306 doesn not get along well on snow. The flat out bumpy section were absolutely frightening.
I don't think I made it through any of the long stages without spins. I even had a roll.

So to conclude. 1 roll, 6-7 spins and a sick radiator. Hopefully I get a point or two atleast.

Here's some favourite snaps for the sponsors ;)

Dw25i0m.jpg

Lean against the snow banks they said. Yeeeeeees.

lRF7Iyw.jpg

Can someone tell the organizers NOT to fill the red finish signs with cement. My radiator died and my ride was shortened.

69dc3K3.jpg

Front heavy.

mXXzF9r.jpg

My wheel geometry was perfect by the end of the rally.

Guess thats me out then, ffs...... What a grind :(
Damn, that sucks. I've never seen that happen before, but if it did ever happen again to you, remember that Alt-F4 (ah, I see you're on the Xbone, so maybe there's a console equivalent? poss yank the network cable or even a hard reset) will mean you can restart after the last checkpoint, which for you would have lost you three stages; still sucky but not an unearned DNF...

Finished! Silly mistakes in every stage though and major issues in SS11. Might scrap a top 10 possibly but I'm not confident.

Thanks again for putting this on, enjoying it regardless!

Damn, that sucks. I've never seen that happen before, but if it did ever happen again to you, remember that Alt-F4 (ah, I see you're on the Xbone, so maybe there's a console equivalent? poss yank the network cable or even a hard reset) will mean you can restart after the last checkpoint, which for you would have lost you three stages; still sucky but not an unearned DNF...

Nuts.... I was so pee'd off by this point that I didnt even think of flicking the switch! :( Ah well, lesson learned. Annoyed because I was actually beating a couple of Scoobies as well!

Still, thank you for the advice buddy, I will be better armed should it ever happen again.

Rally done for me as well :) Not the best lead-up to the rally, so I had time to do one single stage with testing. And on that stage I was 26 seconds behind my PB, so I kinda understood that I had an uphill battle on my hands! I would need to be at my very best to be able to beat the Opel's in the class, as I'm driving an inferior car compared to the other 70's cars, but luckily not as hopeless as a Mini Cooper or Fulvia!

It started out surprisingly good on the first stage, but then I started to lose out to the rest of the top guys in the class. I had a good SS5 as well, but the rest of the 13 first stages was variable to put it mildly. I tried to use the first stages of the rally as practice, and when I had a good SS5 I thought I was in to the rythm, and could push. That was slightly wrong, and I had to do a regroup in my head. Never got going as I wanted, but at least I was just slow, and didn't make any big mistakes.

Had to head to the gym before it closed, and then have some dinner, before I did the last four stages, and I really saw the benefit of not doing the whole rally in one go, I was faster and got a better rythm on those stages.

4th in class overall at the time of finish, and over 1min50sec ahead of closest non-Kadett which will be my goal for the remaining rallies as well! To be the best non-Kadett :)

With how the lead up to the event was, I cannot be disappointed in my position, but my initial goal was to win Rally Sweden, so I sorta failed there :) Bring on the rest of the season, it's gonna be some hard rallies until Wales for me now :)

6oYPNOH.png

U1yb6G5.png

vPkrRWQ.png

S9JCax4.png

jm6yJmn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.