RDRC S7 Round 3 - Rally Alsace (12th-14th April 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good rally tonight, after a poor last round in Norway. Back to tarmac, my favourite surface and had done some productive practice, not as much as I'd have liked, but I was able to be confident in my tyre choices and gear ratio setup as well.

Unfortunately @Mark Johnston was working and couldn't join us for this round, but had some good battles on the road until the last two stages when I managed to pull a bit of a gap.

I made a stupid mistake at the final service, I'd done all my practice for the last four stages on Inter tyres, but forgot to change this and was stuck on Dry's. Pushed hard in Alsace and Sieversdorf to try and make up the time I would inevitably loose on the streets of Lyon, and managed good times compared to if I had ran on Inter tyres, and set my PB ever time on Alsace. Had an ok run on SS10, ran wide at the first hairpin but took it easy and did a 45.98, only four seconds off my predicted Inter run time.

I was dreading Bruschal Unterowisheim on Dry tyres, I love the stage and have seen that a few have tried this setup over the last few days, and made it work. Managed to keep it relatively clean apart from two small spins which maybe cost me 3 seconds a piece, but still did a better time than I had in practice on the Inters, so I was happy.

Im slowly starting to get the hang of this, and I want to thank everyone that has helped me, @Ole Marius Myrvold and my teammate @Mark Johnston especially, for their patience in helping a rookie understand the ropes. I wasn't in the right mindset for Norway, hence my stupid mistakes, and I was pushing to get a few extra seconds, and then crashed twice heavily which undid all that good work. So for Rally Alsace, I really tried to be relaxed and make no mistakes. Think I lost a few seconds on each of the early stages compared to me PB's (SS1 - 2 sec lost, SS2 - 7 sec lost) but from then I was starting to relax, and made up that lost time and more, with 6 PB's.

Looking forward to seeing the results, and the next rally too. Thank you guys, enjoy the screenshot of the Fiesta R5 through the last corner of the Lyon stage.

I took a different approach to the rally this weekend after two semi-disappointing rallyes. My pace isn't the greatest on bumpy tarmac, which requires a lot of confidence. For me it was important to drive with absolutely no mistakes, after how much it has cost me in the past.

First 4 stages were pretty average, couldn't find a rhythm and was a bit slower than practice times. On Sieversdorf I managed to hit the inside post of the left-hander hairpin right at the start, luckily only got a dent in my car and maybe lost 5s.
SS5 I felt pretty good, though Puy de Luc is not one of my strongest stages, so curious what my pace was like.
On Bergheim I set a new PB, and felt pretty good there as well, so was happy heading into the final loop.

After extensive testing I found the dries were quicker, unfortunately I couldn't get into a grove on Alsace and was quite slower than practice, so I pushed hard on Sieversdorf next to maximize the dry advantage. Set a new PB there, so was happy with that.

But unfortunately I may have undone most of the advantage on Lyon, when I understeered into a barrier and had to spin my car around (which is very tricky to do in the wet on dry tires), costing me nearly 10 seconds. Bruchsal went well, was a PB on dries there too, so a nice way to finish.

Quite annoyed at the mistakes, though the Lyon one was "free" in a way, since I had the advantageous tyres.

Still, I think the new approach I took worked better, I had more confidence going into the rally, and 15s is a lot less time than I lost in Norway. Looking forward to the results and to Rally Finland next time out.

Well done all :)

yvjMB3L.jpg

If you dont listen to your codriver before roundabout so you dont turn left but you go right to Shell gas station its possible. I know what you aiming at and i belive race judges will notice that. If they dont we will point the problem to them.
So, first to congrat to you Karl for good fight and tight photofinish in my favor for -00:00:75 :thumbsup:
I started this rally with no preparation and just with desire to finish in one piece. Tarmac rally is not my favorite so any point (IF i get any) is huge for me. I had smooth pace and i made 1 or two minor mistakes. My teammate did great job this time and i hope he will get some points for team. Tnx Dudo for cover me. Tny for organizers and see you soon...

@Emil Pribanić and you did fully Bergheim according to the codriver?
Because I have seen that the first split place time of 1:30 which is also very little, or WRC get that :confused:

@Emil Pribanić and you did fully Bergheim according to the codriver?
Because I have seen that the first split place time of 1:30 which is also very little, or WRC get that :confused:
HAHAHAHAHAHA you are right. It looks like i made same **** but with one round less. DAMN!!!

Edit: And for showoff... its with RRC not WRC:). With WRC i would be at finish in notime:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
ah. I waited for long time to this rally, but I haven't got any time for practice, plus I wasn't on the track in my head. I lost my little concetration what I had for :( -> crash, spin. gearbox flew away :) I must gave up, I haven't got any patience

Yep...just like i said...if you dont listen carefully your codriver......so i didn`t....specialy at Bergheim...NEVER. This was "bother" my all day at work and first thing i did when i come home, i was watching my replay from Bergheim....with WorkerBee pacenote editor ON. I really i did drive one circule less before going right on roundabout :redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:. To reasure myself i watch my Bergheim video from 2013 on Youtube and saw something stunning...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:.....It looks that i ALLWAYS DRIVE with one circule less:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:.

Really happy to have put the 2 fastest times in RDRC-2 on the board and to put an R5 2nd overall on SS2! :D

Ye, you started out extremely fast!
BTW; I don't think you were ahead with 1 min in your session as you wrote in your last post! :) As the ones that have not finished the stage will get a nominal time until then ;) I saw that Withbro and Haarstadsveen was ahead of you :)

Ye, you started out extremely fast!
BTW; I don't think you were ahead with 1 min in your session as you wrote in your last post! :) As the ones that have not finished the stage will get a nominal time until then ;) I saw that Withbro and Haarstadsveen was ahead of you :)

Yeah I didn't wait to see other's times and just sped through pressing GO at the first chance :) Looking forward to Round 4, I'm stronger on Snow / Monte Carlo than Gravel but I think I could be ok.

Very pleased with that result, only my second overall RDRC podium, and my first in a WRC car.

Very close fight with Norbert too, I wonder how far apart we were in metres at the finish line in Bruchsal after it all.

Congrats to my teammate for the win, absolutely incredible pace, and a great team result. Well done also to Magnar for once again putting the R5 on the podium. Congratulations to the RDRC-2 podium drivers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%