RDRC S5 Round 8 - Safari Rally (24th - 27th August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the Rally...

It was a long long tough night, full of dissapointments but fortunately no retirements just 1 small spin was the mistake but I think I destroyed my tires or something on the first pass trough Noiker, after that I lost 50+ seconds on the next 3 stages (comparing to practice) then had the brilliant idea to break the suspension on jourdain and had to drive 4 long stages with the car handling weird, atleast some times I was happy with and the power stage went somewhat ok. In spite of being a very hard event for me I liked this roadbook very much Jack, nice balance and choice of stages and I tought of your 3 day idea while I drove, good luck to the guys left to run and I hope I can get a little bit of those so valuable points, I don't think I will win here I see that very distant at the moment but I was the first to run and still everything is to happen, anyway not hpoing for too much.

Thanks guys, cheers :)

SS1-SS4
Everything goes "by the book" I`m still a bit confused by triple screen but times are ok.

SS5-SS8
First two stages great. I made good tyre setup and car was ready to fly. SS5 & ss6 it was fantastic. BUT.......in SS7 i forget to took my setup and went to start of the stage on default setup..HORRROR!!!!! Braking was hard, turning was harder, gearbox was too short (maybe that was the good thing), car was dancing all over Noiker, had two or three big spins in the woods...UFFFF!!!! At SS8 i was so upset that i made several stupid mistakes so after finished i lost about 1,5min.

SS9-SS12
I hit something at SS10 New Bobs and lightly damaged my steering so car was pulling to the left so i had to take caution on next two stages. Everything went ok.

SS13
Just for fun.

To bad that i had to drive alone.
Thanx to organizers for this great rally. Good luck to all who have to start this rally. See you at the finish.

I made a total mess of this round, I had more retirements than I've had all season. I will not be submitting any times for this round and I will definatley have to find some time to prepare for the next round:redface:

I competed this morning but unfortunately couldn't complete the rally. Here are my impressions for the first 8 stages

ss01 : jump start, shitty headlights/cannot see, bad stage
ss02 : okay, could have been faster
ss03 : pacesnotes not so good, I had a bit of a moment but it ended well
ss04 : a moment at the start but I regained confidence quickly. pretty good stage, scary at times
ss05 : nice stage, good pace, no problem. My favourite stage of the rally no doubt.
ss06 : nice and twisty, I like. Evo X's gearbox not so well fitted for this kind of road, I was shifting between 2nd-3rd-4th gear all the time.
ss07 : extremely slippery, I had a couple of moments. I also had an excursion into the bushes to avoid hitting a photographer
ss08 : was going great until I locked the wheels in a downhill right hander. Hit the tree at about 30 km/h and the engine would not restart. Disappointed
ss09 : had some technical problems with my computer at the beginning of the stage, my time will probably be invalidated
retirement due to faulty computer

My rally:

SS01 - Careful start
SS02 - Almost left the road halfway through when I touched a bank and the car turned the wrong way ito a corner.
SS03 - Tricky stage, took it a bit more careful than usual. Almost left the road at one point, though...
SS04 - A bit too slow, maybe?

SS05 - Struggeling a bit with the concentration and left the road twice.
SS06 - Still not fully concentrated...
SS07 - Holy hell, that was slippery! I thought I was done at the final km with a roll in 6th gear!
SS08 - First I derailed straight into a creek. then I clipped a bank and went into a tree on the other side of the road. Locked the gearbox in neutral... DNF.

SS09 - Okay stage, felt good.
SS10 - Felt good :)
SS11 - A bit nervous, but I got through
SS12 - Calm and collected, maybe a bit too careful...

SS13 - Okay finish to the rally, I really like this stage :)

Overall I am quite satisfied with this rally. Could have done without the DNF, but there goes. Looking forward to see the final results, this was indeed a tough rally!

Great driving guys. I tested tonight my driving skils from cockpit view to see if i`m competitive to you. Im more then happy with my driving but not so much happy about my pc crashed after ss8 so i didn`t finish but my official time in EU1 was 59:25.76. I have recorded "live onboard" on SS5 Noiker so in a few days i hope i will upload it here.
So far.....bye!!!

Cool and tough rally, liked the stages although some of them didn't like me so much hehe.
3 retirements are still too bad, but I was happy with how it went nevertheless, but still way off the pace especially in the rain!

Thank you to the organizers for putting up a nice event :)

to be honest I could have retired in every stage and still be happy because I'm finally able to compete again. Its been a rough year but I'm getting there now.

The first loop was ok, these aren't my favourite stages anyway and i drove fairly cautiously. I definitely feel rusty after not driving since the first round this year.

Started to get the flow back a wee bit in the second loop. I had a few spins and the like but I was reasonably happy, especially considering the really tough wet stages.

Third loop was going ok until I retired on the second Jourdain. I turned a fraction late into a medium left and hit an unseen bump which speared me head on into the only tree for about 3 miles.......lol. I had only driven Jourdain once before in a club rally designed by Roy where we used rear wheel drive Celicas so I really didn't have a clue about the stage at all.

The power stage went fine, I tried to do some showboating.

I think I did ok but I was comparing my times to a couple of the new gen WRC cars and all I can say is that technology has moved on a bit from when my car was competing.

But hell, I don't care I'm just happy to be back! You've no idea how much I've missed this, I even took up competitive call of duty for something to do. Its fun but not as good as this.

Thanks to the organisers for keeping this going, looking forward to the next one :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%