RDRC S5 Round 3 - Sno*Drift Rally (6-9th April)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS1-Calm and stedy. No rush. The goal is to finish without (too many) mistakes
SS2- Could be better but no need for speeding.
SS3-Fast...very fast.
SS4-Good. 3sec faster then first time. 1min.in front of Lindgren overall
SS5-First mistake. Roll over few times after 3 km from start. Car is lightly damaged.
SS6-Damaged steering on stage before but still fast on Diamond.
SS7-New Bobs on snow with broken steering....very scary but i managed to get to end of it and to repair my car.
SS8-Flat out from start to finish.
SS9-Calm but fast.
SS10-Maybe too much braking but...RESPECT to Mineshaft.
SS11-A bit slower then first time but fast enough
SS12-Good, 1sec faster then on ss9. Let`s survive Mineshaft and New Bobs and this could be good result.
SS13-Something wierd happend. My road on Mineshaft become BLACK?!?!?!?!?!? Lost about 40 sec....WTF?!?!?!?!? Hope that wont happen on last stage.
SS14-Somhow and somewhere in "the dark" of Mineshaft i damaged steering so i had to go in "safe mode".

Great rally guys, can`t wait to see you all in the finish.
Here are pics of ss12 Mineshaft

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqn84y8cqpq0nko/Mineshaft 1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvniba2pum9tv8g/Mineshaft 2.jpg

SS1-3 - Not the best of starts for me as I'm a bit of the pace and made several small errors to add to that.

SS4-7 - Pushed a bit too hard on stage 4 and clipped the inside bank going into the final sector, rolled the car and plunged off the road. Rather miraculously the car was still running after that, albeit it with some rather major suspension and some new and varied camber angles for each of the wheels. Pushed as hard as I dared on the next three stages, but lost quite a bit of time as I struggled with the now unpredictable handling of my car.

SS8-10 - The second set of stages definitely suited me better than the first set and I had a reasonable run though these stages. A retirement by Lindgren on SS10 put me a minute ahead of him with 4 stages remaining.

SS11-14 - Got my head down and focused on doing my best to keep it on the road and minimizing the time loss to Lindgren behind me. Admittedly he was much quicker than me, but in the end I did just enough to stay ahead of him.

Pre-Rally Press Release
-----------------------

Unfortunately due to a busy schedule last week I've had close to no time practicing, so my aim for this event is just to drive clean and score some solid points.
I really want to improve my pace and be challenging for the RDRC-2 title and class wins later in the season, so some solid points at this stage will surely help in that endeavour, but I've still got a lot to learn.

End of Stage
------------

SS1 - OK, really felt the bumps on this stage :p. Wasn't quite on the pace in the final sector, but OK overall.
SS2 - I don't particularly like this stage, but it went OK.
SS3 - Softened the suspension after the first US stage, felt a lot better. Again though, I lost time in the last sector.
SS4 - Strangely the car felt a bit more oversteery in the damp, than in the wet, I'm about 2 seconds off my time in the first running.
SS5 - A little bit of understeer in one corner and I just scraped a tree. It made a loud sound, but no damage that I could tell. Just a smidgeon slower than the first running.
SS6 - Finally faster than the first run through. It looks like the time for my first 3 stages is roughly the same as my last 3. Interesting :p, I must prefer the wet or something.
SS7 - First big mistake, right near the beginning went off the road and slid sideways for quite a while, hoping to miss trees/rocks etc :p, got uot of it OK, and managed to return to track, lost around 10-15s~
SS8 - Not so good. Oversteered on one corner and slammed the front of my car into the side of a hill, luckily only
cosmetic damage and some lost speed. Later on, with a 5 left tightening to 2, I was carrying far too much speed,
knew I wasn't going to make it and decided to drive off-road than risk rolling, hit a little tree, but had scrubbed
off enough speed to come away undamaged. I lost quite a bit of time on this stage though, not too happy.
SS9 - All right, made a mistake approaching the 90-right junction, messed up my Scandinavian flick and ended up facing the wrong way. Turned it around, lost a few seconds.
SS10 - Junctions, junctions, junctions! I think I messed up every single one. None quite as badly as the one after
Mineshaft where I misheard and carried on straight. Also, I may have gone a bit too fast over Mineshaft, I was in
the air a long time, and my nose just kept creeping downwards, very frightening "have I done too much? :o". Landed with some cosmetic damage, but all OK. Phew!

Not a good start to day 2, going to take a short break, re-organize and tackle these last four stages.

SS11 - No mistakes this time, except at the end where I went a bit wide and slid along the guardrail. Still miles
off the default record for this stage though, will be interesting to compare times with others.
SS12 - Didn't face the wrong way on the junction this time, although I did find myself in neutral. D'oh. Just
skimmed a tree near the end, just cosmetic damage though.
SS13 - Over a minute off my previous run through - like Emil, I experienced a pitch black surface. Rolled near the
beginning and went down into a valley, had to CFH. Nearly rolled a second time later on too. Really hard to drive
without being able to tell road from off-road. But oh well, finished the stage, no DNF, only lost a minute, could
have been worse.
SS14 - A few small mistakes, so no points here I don't think.

pCF3024.jpg

SS10 - Mineshaft

Post-Rally Press Release
------------------------

A mixed-bag Rally really. On the positive side all the stages were finished. On the negative side, a lot of small mistakes cost me a bit of time.
Looking ahead though, a lot of these mistakes could have been rectified by practicing the stages beforehand. I didn't have time this rally, but I'll make time for the next one.
Strange bug on Mineshaft, but then again, in real-life one could easily have a mechanical issue causing such an effect, so I should be happy it wasn't a CTD or something similar. :p

Decided to give it a shot just for fun and see how many stages I can finish in a row from the very beginning, I dont think too many but lets see. Will go for the OC2

Viesturs Priede - Viesturs - OC2

This season is pretty screwed up anyways so I guess Im not so worried about NOT scoring points. But have to keep my self in the rally world anyways :p

That was an awful rally for me, these stages are disgusting for me, I never been so fast on these flat out stages...
Only positive thing for today, to not make any retirements, but a podium in the category would be a wonder.

Otherwise, I had a same problem on SS13 as Emil, everything was black, I could only orient by the trees...

It's certainly a strange error, completely black, not so dark is appears black, but completely black. I don't think different textures are used during night time, and the stage worked fine the first running. Some sort of weird shader glitch then.

I'm running W7 64bits with an AMD graphics card, how about you guys?

Edit: My headlights were illuminating trees, but not the ground. As if it were absorbing all the light. :O_o:

Finished the Rally and it went quite well, only a small overshoot of a junction on SS7 was my only mistake, and in the power stage I don't know how quick I was, big thanks to the organizers and congrats to everyone that participated and is going to. I like this Rally because it's the closest thing I have to a home event this year so I hope to do well when the results come out.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years