RDRC S3 Rally World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did get the norwegian and swedish names correct, the other ones were pronounced with a norwegian accent :tongue:

Warren Dawes said:
BTW, mine is pronounced "doors", in case you need it later.
I will keep this in mind :)

Watched the vid and I must say it's awesome! At first I thought (for some unknown reason) that it might be less immersive than circuit racing vids, as there is no side-by-side action in rallying, but Roy and Senad pulled it off beautifully. It has a feel very reminiscent (at least for me) to the WRC highlights and I love that. A simple word about getting top X times in class, being in position Y at the end of the day or Z before retiring - that's very climatic in a rally vid and also does a good job of informing the guys that don't race in RDRC or just don't follow the results digit-by-digit. 11/10 from me :)

One thing that needs fixing is the ini of Slavic Imprezas. Wee need to get rid of external plates, but that's my job :p

I'm so stupid that I forgot to send my replays, despite that It was bad run for me that could be fun in video.

Great work Senad and Roy, I was always dreaming about real comentary rally highlights!

As much as I love the Ford Abu Dhabi livery (I actually hate it. Who thought maroon and green go together?) I prefer my own wee little livery. It was in the post with my replays in case you missed it :p

RDRC S3: Rond 2 Review

Welcome back in RaceDepartment Rally Championship! Today, we take a look at the second round of the third season.

This round took us into gravel stages in South Australia, with center in coastal city Coffs Harbour. It's popular one among rallye fans, because local weather is warm and sea is not far away. Trough technical check successfully passed 55 crews, but only 51 of them could score. At those gravel stages, WRC cars had much more better conditions than any other class, so Production cars weren't dominative like in round 1.

Weather forecast announced no clouds for all days and very high temperature. Fortunately, fresh sea wind made nice conditions for stay. Before shakedown was scheduled stage for spectators in the early Thursday and track was built in the city itself. Visitors could watch all famous drivers flat-outing trough the tight city streets. Organizers planned it to be accessible for fans, so it was nearby service zone. After that, crews moved to north to shakedown stage, which was this time during night. It got by without accidents this time. Then, drivers went for a sleep to be fresh for next days and fans could experience night life of Coffs Harbour.

First stage started Mark Johnston. After his performance in round 1, he was supposed to be one of the fastest. But he wasn't able to be competitive at any stage. "I couldn't find suitable setup. I changed my suspension after each stage, but I just couldn't find the right setup. It was very painful." He finished first day deep in the grid with big loss, out of points. Different story was written by Tor Anders Berven, who set the fastest times at first two stages, but with Mark Birney attacking from behind. Gap between them at the first stage was under one second. Jakub Sulej was also fast enough to pack himself between them. After 3rd stage, it was close fight in A2 class. Jakub Sulej attacked hard to first Tor Anders Berven and managed to overtook him at next two stages, where he was the fastest. But then, a mistake was made by Jakub. "It was something shouldn't have happened. It was in the five left turn, after 200 meters straight. You have to brake very hard into that corner, because you must be fast on the straight. I told my co-driver to add note in the pacenotes about difficulty of this corner, but I was still too fast, because I just made the fastest time at previous stage. I wanted to maintain the gap. I locked wheels in try to turn and ended in bushes," he explained. "I got out of there, without damage. I was very lucky this time but lost about ten or fifteen seconds. I lost my lead at this stage." Thanks to this, Tor and Mark were now in front. Behind Jakub settled John Cunningham, who drove stable times, without mistakes before night service after day 1, which Mark Johnston didn't leave. "We had problems with cooling system and we didn't want to risk damaging the engine because of the hot weather."
Day 2 was best started by Jakub, who set the fastest time and jumped to the first place. But at the upcoming stage, he made huge mistake. It was in the second run of Greenhills stage. When he got to overcrowded viewing place, the famous ford, he just flat-outed trough the watter. This created big aquaplaning effect and he lost traction in next turn. He went straight and said hello to trees, where he stuck until rescue car arrived. He continued, but the loss was big and he disappeared down in the field. Tor now had nobody in front and took the lead. Gabor Tim also jumped into fights for podium. He found new speed in second runs and focused on stable times. This brought him sweet fruits. Firstly, he got ahead of Dariusz Swiderski, then it was John who must have let him pass. His ability to make no mistakes placed him to second position in the finish. Tor realized that insane drive could have cost him win, so he slowed down and just finished. John finished third with Dariusz behind, who was slower only by 4 seconds. "It was true fight until the end," John relieved.

In A1 class (old WRC and A8 cars cup) were signed 4 drivers. Norman Biscuit set the fastest time at the first stage, but he couldn't continue without mistakes. He missed a note about bump and full throttle pushed him off the road. It was fortunately viewing post, so visitors helped him immediately. Mistakes went the same for Hubert Smolders and Ben Tusting. Thanks to them, Ian Bundell took the lead and he dominated for the rest of the day. "I am sure my opponents could have done better. Not sure what happened to them, but I was winner of every stage after Norman's mistake."
Day 2 wasn't much exciting, Ian just won remaining stages, but he finished in top 10 overall. Second Hubert was losing over 15 minutes in the end. The rest of the field retired from the rallye.

Big fights were in Production class. Simone Demi was setting fast times and was increasing his gap to the others stage by stage. "I had no opponent there," he said. "Warren tried to keep with me and he was even able to at the first stage, but then anyone could stay against my times." He was very pleased and self-confident, after he could beat WRC cars in the first round. He has day 1 under control for the whole time. Interesting things happened behind him, while Warren Dawes, second at that time, was trying to find a way how to improve his times, Łukasz Demolin in his out classed, old Subaru showed on the time table just few seconds behind. Jeremy Loveland did big mistake earlier the day and was losing several seconds on Łukasz. He was 4th after day 1.
Day 2 was important for Warren. He was still losing time on Simone during the day. Then, Simone crashed at the last stage and lost two minutes on Warren, who didn't know that yet. It was told him in the finish. "You must be kidding. I don't believe you," he was surprised. But when he looked at time table he realized the meaning of it. He won his class and even finished in top ten and scored in the outright. Sad Simone had arrived to last time control without front bumper. "I don't know what happened, really no," he said and went away. Another close finish was done by Jeremy and Łukasz. They were overtaking each other trough the day, but the luckier one was Jeremy, and only by 1 second. "Naaaaaaarrrgh! You know what it is one second? I lost by length of the car!" was Łukasz screaming. But when he calmed down, he congratulated to Jeremy like a real man.

Jani Nylander was leading junior class before overnight service. He managed to win most of the stages and avoid any mistakes. Troy Ament tried to attack and did a mistake at stage n°5, where he did defect of left rear wheel. "I hit retarder, I was lucky marshals didn't penalized me with 30 seconds." Close fights for the last podium place were in hands of Mikka Peltola and Pete Mull.
After night service, Jani held the first place until finish, even though he didn't win all stages in day 2. But Troy wasn't just fast enough. He knew he can't win and finished with sure drive. Big surprise was Olli Kauppinen, who overtook both, Mikka and Pete and finished third. "I think they were just concentrated on their fight only and I could easily drive my race until the end".

In rookie class were 5 drivers fighting for points. Everyone of them made at least one fastest time, except Teemu Toikka. But situation played into his cards, because Michael Hammond with Daniel Olsson were just pushing too hard and had a lot of accidents. They both retired from the rallye in the end. Viesturs Pried was leading, either in the first day and day 2. But Norman Bruce didn't give anything for free, he improved setup of the car at night and did well in the second day. " I did my best, I drove trough several stages with amazing times, but 'Vies' is good driver. He deserved to win."

The second round mixed up Teams Championship. JME-Rookie is now leading with just 2 points ahead of Team Terror Australis A. Third is Ford Motorsport, losing 7 points to second place.

You can find round 2 results here and overall results after round 2 here.

We asked again Rick Bamford, RDRC director, what can we expect in round 3.
"Round 3 is a new event for the RDRC. Rallye Terre De L'Auxerrois brings us to France for some fantasic gravel roads.
The event starts with two very different stages. First is Bisanne 2, tight and twisting at first going up the mountain before the downhill run through a number of switchback hairpins. Second takes os to the open fields and ultra fast roads of Limbo. Both stages repeated in the afternoon before finishing with a run around the Essay Circuits des DUCS rallycroos stage. The top crews will most likely have a different setup for each stage.
Over night rain continuing into the morning will make day 2 the most challenging of the championship so far. An early start sees a predawn run over Cote D'Abroz 2 before sunrise. Then the two Joux stages, Verte 2 and Plane 2. The weather will fine up for the second run over these stages but the surface will still be damp. Returning the the rallycross stage will finish out the event."

Changes were done by Ondřej Kapal, who left RedBull team and regained contract with DSC Delimax Motorsport from season 2 after several negatives with Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX. He will drive the same car like last year, at the moment older version of Škoda Fabia S2000 evo 1.

That is all for now. Say hello to us and see you after round 3!

Senad and Roy, you two are an excellent combination, excellent work :D

Ondrej, as usual fantastic rally report and thank you for adding in the Junior and Rookie classes, it makes us feel good when we get some recognition as well.

Well done Ondrej, combined with the Senad/Roy movie, this really feels like a real Rally Championship.
You guys are all adding some excellent atmosphere. :thumb::thanks:

TTFR World Rally Team have unveiled their season 3 production class challenger, in the skoda fabia S2000 evo 2. The will be sporting the teams 2011 livery. Tyrone Frith will be driving the skoda under car No 101, after having a shakedown session during round 2.

"This will be the first time that i be driving a S2000 rally car, and it's a challenge that i am looking forward to. This new rally will present a huge challenge for everyone with a mixer of fast and slow stages. Being on the right setup and tyres will make the main difference between the winner and loser."

The drivers will be under way on Saturday morning with the event finishing on tuesday night. Highlights of day 1 of round 2 can be found on the teams main page at www.ttfracing.co.cc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A fantastic read from Ondrej (TBH you nailed my emotions. When I realized how close I lost the 3rd I was pissed at myself, but then calmed down, as it was caused by my stupid, stupid mistakes :)) and a really good-looking skin from Tyrone.

Looks like two rusty Scoobies is all that's left of N4 cars at this point. Can't give them up now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back