RDIWS | Round 4 - The Indy 500

Valrys

100RPM
Premium
So, we're all in agreement that I get all the points today, right? Good.

No but for reals, I started to suspect something was up when Charles and I warped inside each other despite being hundreds of meters apart during the first safety car, and then there being so many accidents. Were people being too aggressive or was it all lag related?

Right decision to call it as well, so thanks for that. Would have been a bit boring driving around for another 110 laps with only 6 cars or however many it was.

I do hope that counts for something, but obviously I would say that. Either way, P2/3 is a hilariously great result and I'm pleased regardless of what happens.

Racing-wise, it was fairly quiet but I made pretty steady progress. I passed @Norman Bruce at least twice, punted @Otune on the first restart (really sorry about that) and had a really nice battle with @Tal and @Kresh just before the red flag before jumping Tal in the pits. This got me into 3rd, which became 2nd when @Frederic Schornstein crashed to bring out the red flag.

Thanks guys!

Chark

500RPM
Premium
Were people being too aggressive or was it all lag related?
A lot of the incidents were indeed "lag" related. Not all of them, because I've seen some pretty bold and unconsidered moves around the track while being only in the first quarter of the race. I would say at least half of the full course yellows were caused independently from the driver's will.

I do apologize to everyone that was involved in the incidents with me, I think especially @Valrys and @Standa Sehnal. I had insane stutters (visual, not related to my ping), and I realized quickly that it was causing mayhem around me each time it happened. I'd rather be out of the race for the safety of all. This is the first time it happens to me in rF2, previously it was running smoothly, even today in practice and qualy. Really gutted to do only 13 laps in the 500...

Good decision by the stewards to red flag the race, hopefully we'll find out what happened and what caused all the problems.

Charles and I warped inside each other
:inlove:

EDIT: Just kidding of course, couldn't help it. :D

Otune

SpeedyMite Racing
punted @Otune on the first restart (really sorry about that)
No worries, those restarts were really confusing.

I think it might be better if the green flag was just called by the race director instead of letting the leader dictate it. When you're further back you can't see when the leader starts accelerating, so on most of the restarts there were people accelerating and then having to hit the brakes (including myself) because it's difficult to judge when to actually go.

TobiasR

Czarleeese Baygio
Premium
No worries, those restarts were really confusing.

I think it might be better if the green flag was just called by the race director instead of letting the leader dictate it. When you're further back you can't see when the leader starts accelerating, so on most of the restarts there were people accelerating and then having to hit the brakes (including myself) because it's difficult to judge when to actually go.
Actually, the leader should accelerate gradually and earlier. He can't get passed before the start finish line anyhow. I had the feeling that the restarts where just inexperience on the leaders part sometimes, which is no problem, but it lead to some very hairy moments.

Was still fun. Messed up Qualy with the lap counts, but was not so bad starting at the rear. I knew we will have Safety Cars, so I used the first green stint to pick up positions very savely and saving some fuel. First stop was I think under the third SC which was great timing and I managed to overtake Tal and Matthew by positioning my car well (avoiding delays) and having a good launch from my pit box.

When I was in P4 I did not manage to overtake P3 quickly and Allie and James went up the road, but I knew I could go very long. Then James pitted first and then Allie and I still had quite some fuel. It was so funny I thought I want to do one more lap, but decided to go into the pits, I am just on the limiter for a few seconds and we have a full course yellow. This made me pass Allie.

After the restart I had to concentrate hard to keep Allie out of the draft which worked fine and then the strange incident happened.

Still a shame as I was in a strong position, but 200 Laps was just too much and it was a very good decision to cancel it as Matthew was already out and would loose the chance at the championship. All in all it was fun racing so many cars and the car felt great thanks to Matthews setup

Sherwin van der Sloot

SimTech International - RDLMS#3
It all started off great with a very good qualifying for me (my first pole in league racing for SimTech Motorsport :D )
The race itself was a different story, it started off quite well with a good start but soon my car got very loose, that's when i noticed that after qualy, I changed the front end of my car from qualy to race set, but forgot the rear :speechless: , however i knew i could at least make it better during the first stop. Had a great battle with Alex for the lead (we had some contact, sorry about that) and later with Matthew I believe. Lap 30, I got a little loose between 2 and 3, did all i could to keep it down, the car moved up onto the track so i was just hoping i could keep it there, and out of everybody's way, but Alex and I made heavy contact, resulting in heavy damage for me, and then going down pit road, my rF2 lagged/crashed, whatever it did, and my race was over regardless.

Great stuff by everybody who showed up though, and thumbs up to the admins/stewards, It can't be an easy job by no means. Personally I look forward to runnig the rest of the race (if i'm allowed in :D ) and I really, really hope the 2nd oval stays on the calendar because, if anything, that one is easier to keep your foot down as you can take many, many different lines on that track (if my memory serves me right)

Matt88

100RPM
Qually felt really good and thought I had pole until Sherwins awesome lap. And was pleased the spread of the field was close.

Race: Good start, again car felt good, was able to take the lead and start pulling out a gap and knew i had the pace throughout each stint. Got jumped by a few guys on my 1st pitstop.

Then the restart.....Hands up, I could of held back and not made it 3 wide going into turn 3, however i had so much overspeed, I didn't feel like i Divebombed, it felt i was well in line with the person on the outside (I don't know who it was), as I turned in me right rear was clipped. I feel like it was a racing incident and I probably should have been more conservative, but I felt if anything i had right to the line I was on as i was there long before the 3rd corner. But hands up and apologies for making it 3 wide so early in the race.

The second incident my screen froze. I was on the inside line, everything was fine, screen froze and the next thing i Know I am on top of the fence. Came into pits, got everything repaired, but my top end afterwards was 212mph. I carried ontried making adjustments to the 'wedge' to create more straight line speed and on my last stop just took all the wing out the car. However i was unable to improve the top speed issue. I soon felt like a mobile chicane and with the worry of ruining someone elses race, I retired.

Such a shame was looking foward to this race more than any other. But what I did take part in was great fun.

I personally would like to keep the next Oval race. And with the restarts i thought at the front a constant speed was better, but then i started from the mid pack when James Wilson restarted, he did what I did and held a constant speed. However it is so difficult to judge, I agree the marshall should wave the green flag then we are good to go. I liked the idea of everyone on pit lane speed limiter prior to green flag. The Pit lane speed limiter rule only seemed to cause issues when a 'Full Course Yellow' came out. I feel for restarts it is fine.

Despite the issue, thanks again Racedepartment for hosting it and putting on tv coverage etc. My friends and family are amazed when I show them!

I will upload my final race setup shortly.

Valrys

100RPM
Premium
Would just like to echo Matt's thoughts regarding RaceDepartment and their broadcasting, as well as keeping the next oval race. If we're that desperate to run one of the other great American racetracks not currently on the schedule, I'm sure people would be happy to either extend the championship by one round, or run a fun event to wind down after the season is over. Oval racing is an important element of modern Indycar, so if we were to scrub the results from yesterday and not re-run it while also not doing Fontana, it wouldn't feel like a proper season to me.

However, saying that, if we re-ran last night as an Indy 250 (100 laps) in the near future, I'd get over losing the other oval if it's replaced by something good. I'm sure Lorenzo and Matheus won't make a rash decision over it.

Edit: While I remember, did we have any lag issues in the race during the week? I don't recall any, so it's odd that they'd suddenly start occurring with virtually the same amount of people on what I presume is a server setup with the same settings more or less.

Last edited:
Would just like to echo Matt's thoughts regarding RaceDepartment and their broadcasting, as well as keeping the next oval race. If we're that desperate to run one of the other great American racetracks not currently on the schedule, I'm sure people would be happy to either extend the championship by one round, or run a fun event to wind down after the season is over. Oval racing is an important element of modern Indycar, so if we were to scrub the results from yesterday and not re-run it while also not doing Fontana, it wouldn't feel like a proper season to me.

However, saying that, if we re-ran last night as an Indy 250 (100 laps) in the near future, I'd get over losing the other oval if it's replaced by something good. I'm sure Lorenzo and Matheus won't make a rash decision over it.

Edit: While I remember, did we have any lag issues in the race during the week? I don't recall any, so it's odd that they'd suddenly start occurring with virtually the same amount of people on what I presume is a server setup with the same settings more or less.
Agree, I would have to have an Indy 250 at the end of August (two weeks after the league is officially over). You could probably allow others to join as well. We have at least one or two people who would provide a good setup. That would make for a bigger grid, but then we should have a minimum time for qualy.

Sherwin van der Sloot

SimTech International - RDLMS#3
I think Allie means she see's ovals as a "mandatory" (for the lack of a better word in my vocabulary) thing in an IndyCar league. Please do correct me if i'm miss-interpreting that :) . But for sure I am one of the people who would love to keep the oval(s) a part of this series.

But I am sure the people who make the decisions ultimately, will decide what is best for everybody involved :)

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
We'll be making a decision soon, we are thinking of what we're going to do with this round first and foremost. I shall give you a decision by Wednesday.

Andrew Harper

2000RPM
Premium
Yes I was getting stuttering as well but just assumed it was my PC or internet connection causing it.

When we were in Drivers Briefing some cars that accidently came out of their pit garages were jumping across the screen. Not badly, similar to when you miss frames in a film.

This started about half way through qualifying for me and continued into the race.

I had managed to fit in some practise but I was badly off the pace. Didn't want to cause any accidents so decided to pull to one side for this one. Well done to those of you that finished :thumbsup:

Top Bottom