RDHPC - Round 4 @ Hockenheimring - Sun 22nd February 2015

Congrats to Ross for both victories!

I had a quite frustrating evening though. I did the best I could do, but at the end I was the one with the slower ingame gearbox and there was nothing I could do about it. We were really close with Ross at the corners, but when it came to acceleration and upshifts, even slipstream wasn't enough for my car to keep up with his car, and I couldn't make up the 4 lost tenths from sector 2 in the corners.

Wasn't my day!
Short before the practise starts my cat deinstalled my router and a cable got hurt but without that tiny screw drivers I had to fix it like mc gyver. :/
Then I came online when the quali already was running got on track and after 30 sec a diconnect. When I tryed to go back to the server to type the password in it directly writes "nnnnnnnnnn" tryed to shot done the game but my fail message pops up all the time in front of the task manager. I made a hard shut down and restarted.
Got on the server

Quali 1
Luckily I could manage a bad 1:54.xxx and got on 11th position in first quali

Race 1
In the first race I was sometimes close to @Denis Betty and @Allan Ramsbottom but I only came closer when they got into trouble mostly I drove the car to hard an loose again a lot of meters. 2 laps before the end I crashed after t1 and loost my bumper. Luckily the gap was big enough and I could finish on 7th place.

Quali 2
I managed 10th place in quali infront of Allan and behind Denis.

Race 2
I had a bad start an missed two places I think, but could go fast back behind denis and was back on 8th place. We had an really nice fight. My body was shaking so much when I was behind him started sweeting like it is 35°C was awesome but exhausting. One time I could shortly pass him but he accelerate better out of the corner and was again in front of me. I was close behind him up to lap 9 then in front of t1 he dissapears directly in front of me I started braking but smashed into the wall. (Thought it was my connection in that moment but saw in the stream that they had the same lag.) I noticed very fast I killed my front left tyre. I was driving to the pit to change only the front wheels but forgot to switch of the car repair. When I noticed that I blow the engine in the pit and gave up.

grats to the winner but specialy to @Jernej Simončič because of using H Shifter too
and also to @Hans Sneep who survived both races and @Jack Smith for your time improvment.

Hope next week it works better for me but that track is maybe the hardest in that series.

Jack Smith

Premium
Completing both events was my objective and it was a major concern of mind not to cook the engines. I have a terrible habit of not getting my foot completely off the throttle when shifting in tight, quick situations. I was hoping to have battles with Hans and Ondrej because our times are nearer each other than the faster drivers but they must of had troubles so I was alone most of the time. I believe the next track will test the metal of all drivers with several dangerous corners and areas to cause problems either from contacts or leaving track situations.

Two convenient & pleasant races for me, although a bit too calm maybe. No sweating & shaking here this time, just lapping in auto-pilot mode without any real danger. Yves had the pace to make me sweat but we got seperated in both races at the beginning and i managed to hold the gap until the end.
Pity about Gui's PC trouble as it could have been a close race for points between us in the two remaining races. Not really satisfying to be benefitting of a fellow racers technical problems.

@Stan Jernej only has a DFGT without a shifter, but he uses the appropriate in game option that simulates H-shifting with paddles, so he still has the same shift break we got and also has to lift throttle. That's why it looks like proper H-shifting from cockpit.

@Jernej Simončič as someone who is almost exclusively racing cars with an H-pattern gearbox i feel your frustration. It's pretty much the same in every sim, there as always a way to set a car up for sequential shifting and omit shift breaks & lifting to gain that second over people that drive the car with true to life settings.
By the way, i feel the same about unrealistic driving views and steering locks, i guess you can call me a simracing snob :rolleyes:.
I think this is mostly the developers fault, getting rid of ways to make racing unfair between people with different hardware or habits should be top priority, so imo a shift break with a brief moment of disengaged clutch should be forced upon the guys that use paddles in cars with H-pattern, be it rF1, rF2, AC or GSCE.
Or go the LFS way: After 4-5 laps of shifting flatout, your clutch is done. Problem solved.
Anyway, thanks for fairplay and giving us a (sadly only theoretical :D) chance of catching you, Jernej :thumbsup:.

Thanks racers & TV team, honestly enjoy listening to you guys. You're clearly watching and thinking. It was the thing mentioned above not a wing setting (no adjustable wings in HGTTC) but it's seriously impressive you guys noticed the tiny speed difference on exactly the two cars in question, without actually being on track yourselves. That's proper involvement, hope you guys are still down with us for the next league that will hopefully come sooner or later.

I'll admit a was a bit skeptic (as usual :D) if we need a league when Yves started presenting his first ideas via pm. But you pulled this off so flawlessly monsieur, i feel stupid for doubting.
See y'all next round!

Last edited:

Yves Larose

Premium
My report

Qualy 1: took fifth place on the grid and i was happy with it since silvino wasn't going to do race.

Race 1: had a good start and was able to stay close to the leaders, i was even able to stay close to them following @Jarek Kostowski and putting pressure on him a little bit. a few laps into the race @Ross McGregor and @Jernej Simončič had a little contact allowing Jarek to take the lead but i was a little too far to follow him in second place so i only benifits and gain one place but knowing Ross pace i knew it wasn't going to be for long i fought as long as i could but within a few laps i was back in fourth place. from there i only managed the gap to Jarek in third and the guy's behind me and finishes in fourth.

Qualy 2: again took fifth place on the grid.

Race 2: my start wasn't as good as the first one and i had to fight to stay in fifth place for one or 2 laps but i was still close enought to Jarek and Silvino in case something happened and something did happen, Silvino went wide in one turn gifting me fourth place. from there Silvino and me fought for fourth place and he got the best on me so i finished in fifth place.

i'm happy with my results as i made good points and was able to move 5 spots up in the championship :)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • €3001-5000