RDHGP S7 - Round 3 - 100km - Rattlesnake Point - Thu 26 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix Season 7 – Round 3

Welcome to back to Round 3 of RDHGP S7.

Firstly I apologise for my absence, even if it sounds like my presence would not have prevented some of the gremlins that took place.

From the initial report I received, Round 2 sounded like it had a lot of issues, but it turned out not to be as many as I had feared. I will again stress the recklessness being shown by some drivers, (albeit anecdotal as I wasn’t there to witness it first hand) especially after I take the time to write these briefings with these points specifically in mind, broken down into easy to understand (possibly also easy to ignore) bullet points. I require a “Like” on this briefing, and that “Like” will be taken as you having read the Race Director points.

There was the first full Incident Report filed, and the first Driver jury empanelled. Thanks to those drivers for their quick, considered and coherent responses, allowing me to get it turned around nice and quickly.

There were also some “No-show” infractions handed out to 5 drivers, and even though I received other contact from 3 of them, I have to abide by the rules laid out for equanimity. I always change the password for every round, normally a few days after the previous race has finished, so going into GPCOS is required for every race. Leaving it until the day of the race does not give either you or I much time to do anything about the situation. I will keep processing the no-show infractions using the conditions exactly as described in the Intro & Info thread, because deviation from that procedure is not fair to everyone else.

We will be driving this event on the SimBin lobby - so please see post #3 below and the link thereon.

Round 3 takes us over 6,500 miles west to the North America, specifically to Ontario in Canada, and the mighty – if slightly imaginary – RattleSnake Park.

progrsp.jpg

Circuit Notes

A lap of RSP begins on the long, wide straight and approaching the fast opener, T1L. This is quite a wide corner, and quick, which will probably actually be slightly safer than the normal "fast approach, tight corner" on the first lap.

It exits onto a dip, and then a short climb to the trickier T2L, a blind, crested corner, with some sand on the outside that can take an awfully long tiome to get out of safely. Like the first corner, it too exits onto a short downhill blast.

Waiting at the bottom of this straight you have T3R & T4R. T3R is inviting upon entry, but greediness on line will give you a cut on the inside, greediness on speed will push you off on the outside of the track, where there is a cut warning, and you will struggle to make T4R cleanly, which is important, as it opens out onto the uphill start of a long straight.

At the end of the straight, be prepared for some heavy braking, as we approach T5L, the Hairpin. There is obviously a caution required here as we will have differing top speeds, differing braking distances and differing cornering abilities through the apex. As always - give racing room, don't divebomb the corner, be aware of what is around you.

Exiting T5L, we have a long run of acceleration downhill, made even more exciting by the T6 Esses complex. T6aR, T6bL, T6cR, T6dL are fast, fairly easy to negotiate turns, but obviously balance through here is paramount, so as not to compromise your speed at all. 2 wheels need to be within the yellow lines at all points through this section.

Exiting the Esses, we rapidly approach T7R, a very fast bend, no braking or lifting required for most cars, with a blind exit because of the wall on the inside apex.

After T7R, we are getting close to top speed before encountering T8R, the first of the 3 corners with extra racing surface (separate section below). There is an extra piece of run of track beyond the yellow line, but before the yellow/black ridged kerb. This CAN be used as racing surface, with the yellow/black ridges marking Edge of Surface.

Exiting T8R, it's quickly on the brakes again for T9L which dives away and down into T10L, which in turn opens out by going under the Armor-All banner.

This is a downhill blast, but drivers are kept honest by T11aL & T11bR which exit by bottoming out onto a decent length straight.

At the end of this straight is the mid speed T12R, and this is the second of the "Extended Surface" corners, the White surface beyond the yellow line being OK to use. Again, see the separate section below.

After T12R, there's a decent length blast before encountering the first of several technically challenging corners between here and the end of the lap.

T13L is a crested corner that drops away suddenly and almsot immediately into the positively cambered T14L where you can get on the accelerator early if you've been clean through T13L.

T15R drops away into a downhill blast before we need to brake for T16L, the last of the 3 "Extended Surface" turns. T16L is a downhill medium-shallow turn, the lay of the road pushing cars out to the right. There is a slight texture corruption on this corner, so please refer to the separate section below to see the actual boundary for this corner.

Exiting T16L it's a short blast to the heavy braking zone for T17L, a tight uphill corner that points you towards a crest. T18R is situated on top of that crest, a fast & blind climbing turn under the Molson banner and onto the S/F straight, across the line for another lap of this exciting track.

Additional Extended Circuit Notes

The rule for RattleSnake Point is that the yellow line delineates the Edge of Surface (EOS) for racing, and that 2 wheels must be inside that.

There are however 3 areas that are exceptions to this rule, as mentioned in the Circuit Notes above (click thumbnails to enlarge):-
T8R- the yellow & black ridges constitutes EOS (marked in green)
rsp2.jpgrsp4.jpg

T12R - the White surface is ok to use, the yellow & black ridges again marking the EOS (marked in green)
rsp1.jpg

T16L - there is some texture corruption here, but the lighter grey surface containing the yellow black ridges is EOS (the delineation again marked in green)
rsp5.jpgrsp3.jpg

In all 3 exceptions above, 2 wheels must be on the Racing Surface AT ALL TIMES.

Please - Report anyone who deliberately abuses this.

The Circuit Director has some Cautionary Notes for certain parts of the track:

T5L - Hairpin. As alluded to in the above, this is a high speed -> heavy braking -> tight turning corner, and traditionally we haven't always done very well on these. Every driver needs to be cautious through here - I've noticed some drivers assuming that the problem is "everyone elses" - it isn't. Every driver has a responsibility to every other driver. No-one is more important or more entitled to a particular piece of track than any other.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There was one reported incident arising from Round2.
Ryan Callan is given an Official Warning for non-deliberate but avoidable contact.
There are no time, point, disqualification or non-qualification penalties attached to this warning, but this will be taken into consideration in any future reported incidents.

5 drivers incurred “No-Show” infractions:
· Chris Hartmann
· Gabor Ludvig
· Gregory Degreef
· Ryan Walker
· Wayne Reed
Gabor, Gregory & Wayne will carry this no-show infraction for one race. If they allocate correctly for that race, the infraction will be lifted.

2 of these drivers are now removed from the League for 2 consecutive No-Show:
· Chris Hartmann
· Ryan Walker

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole
pencil.png

I'll re-open the thread now (I wrote the track notes and then left them at home - doh) and do any additional updates later on.

Suffice to say that the only corner where I need to specifically call for caution is the Hairpin (T5L ?)

The other corners mentioned are the ones with additional surface ourside the yellow lines, but as you can hopefully see, I've handled them in some detail in their own little section.

5 drivers incurred “No-Show” infractions:
· Chris Hartmann
· Gabor Ludvig
· Gregory Degreef
· Ryan Walker
· Wayne Reed
Gabor, Gregory & Wayne will carry this no-show infraction for one race. If they allocate correctly for that race, the infraction will be lifted.

You have given me an infraction for a no show. I did pm you and tell you that I went into the that gposc thing to use the allocate thing to say I could not make it but it was not there.

So I have gone in there today to do it for this weeks race and its still not there so I bet I get this again. Why do you use such a silly system all other leagues have a no show post thread so you can say if you can or cant make it.

All other Supported Leagues maybe, but Official RD Leagues use GPCOS. You PM-ed me after the 18.00 deadline before the Race was due to start. Either way, everyone needs to go in there to get the passwords, so 2 or 3 more clicks isn't exactly onerous.

Anyway, back to the crux - What do you mean "It's still not there"? You allocated for Fuji OK so you can allocate.

If you can get into GPCOS, you can allocate your attendance. On logging in, you should have a blue box at the top of the screen.

Near the bottom of the blue box, it will say

You are a driver in the following leagues:

RDHGP League - Team RaceDepartment Drivers (GTL)
IP address: http://www.racedepartment.com/leagues/login.php?menu=mynklr#- Password: <current round password>
Maintain driver allocations

Click on the "Maintain driver allocations" link, it will take you to the latest race in that League. Change the allocation to the correct status and click "Add Allocation"

The password has been changed and is now up on GPCOS.

We will be running this event on the SIMBIN lobby. Make sure you have switched over. Go here
Please make sure you note this item too - you will need to change lobby for Thursday's race - DON'T leave it until then, as I won't be able to help on technical issues as I'll be practising myself.

I've posted these things up for a week ahead for the Race, so I've done my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back