RDHGP S7 - Round 2 - 100km - Sakhir - Thu 12 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix Season 7 – Round 2

Welcome to back to Round 2 of RDHGP S7. Round 1 seemed to be pretty well received by most drivers, although I was a little disappointed the recklessness being shown by some drivers, especially after I take the time to write these briefings with these points specifically in mind, broken down into easy to understand (possibly also easy to ignore) bullet points. I will be requiring a “Like” on this briefing, and that “Like” will be taken as you having read the Race Director points.

Some people are mentioning the Muscle Cars as being dominant at Fuji, and that indeed was the case. But - while I hope and expect things to be closer elsewhere, what I would say is that those vehicles were available to everyone, and no guns were held to heads in regard to choices. We also have some of our fastest drivers in the Muscle Cars, and they have the skill to make the most of those cars, which can exaggerate the gaps as well.

There were also a couple of “No-Show” infractions, which will be detailed below, and so those 2 drivers need to think about their attendance for Round 2.

Round 2 takes us over 5,000 miles west to the Middle East, specifically to Sakhir in Bahrain, and the Bahrain International Circuit, in it’s Grand Prix Layout/Configuration.

progbah.jpg
Circuit Notes

Opened in 2004, this was a national objective for Bahrain, initiated by Crown Prince Shaik Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa. The track hosted the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2004 despite not being 100% completed, but the work carried on and in 2007, the BIC became the first Grand Prix circuit to be awarded FIA Institute Centre of Excellence status.

The Circuit has 6 separate circuit racing layouts (7 if you count the 1.2km drag strip section), ranging from the 2.0km flat oval to the 6.3km Endurance Circuit. This multitude of scalability means that BIC can host multiple series or classes. In it’s relatively short history, it has hosted F1, V8, GP2, Chevy Lumina, Speedcar, Thunder Arabia, Radicals, FIA GT, F3 & Formula BMW.

We will be using the 5.4km Grand Prix Circuit in our Historic GTs.

A lap of Sakhir begins on the decent length and rather wide S/F straight, and into T1R / T2L / T3R, a tight right/tight left/widening right complex, very reminiscent of Fuji’s T10R/T11L/T12R section in the previous round. There will be some very heavy braking going on into here after the preceding Straight. The cars are vastly different in their relative top speed, weight and braking performances, so all drivers should be prepared and aware for early braking, late braking and overtake attempts here. There are generous run off areas on the outside of T1R, but they are just that - run-offs. Abuse of those areas, ie using them to try and keep a position while under pressure, will be punished. The section dips down slightly through T1R, flattens through the T2L and then climbs through the exit of T3R and onto a shortish uphill straight.

The uphill straight ends with another hard braking section and T4R, another tight, and slightly crested, right hander. The subsequent straight starts a gentle downhill run, and you come across the shallow T5L, which invites attack at first glance, but actually needs caution as it immediately turns back on itself for T6R, and then back yet again through the shallow T7L.

T7L can be attacked onto the short downhill straight, but it again is ended with a severe braking zone, into the downhill T8R hairpin. Caution is required through here, as you will want to get the hammer down for the following burst, but over eager application of the accelerator will cause spins.

The short burst of acceleration heads us downhill and into T9L & T10L, a technical pair of lefthanders, T9L going downhill and quite shallow, but where the exit of T9L would be on most tracks, at Sakhir, you get the much tighter T10L.

Blasting out of T10L, there’s a decent length straight that gently rises and up to T11L, a medium speed Lefthander, followed immediately by T12L a crested left that feeds to T13R, a wide right hander that again tests patience on the throttle, and eventually opens out onto a short uphill straight, finished again with a relatively tight right – T14R.

T14R opens on a gently downhill straight , and then one last piece of hard stab-and-release braking to try and carry as much speed as possible through the final corner T15R. This leads onto the S/F straight, and across the line for another lap of Sakhir, begun by that fiendish braking zone for the T1/2/3 complex.

sakhir.jpg
The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

Racing Room must be given to all drivers – and this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

Regain the track safely - If you leave the track, you must rejoin the track safely. If that means losing another couple of places – so be it.

T1R/T2L/T3R – Especially on Lap 1. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. I am really tempted to put a “no-pass” rule in place for this corner on Lap1, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to you all. Do not make me regret my decision. Be aware, however, that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely, probably with a “no quali” penalty for Round 3.

T8R – As mentioned in the Circuit Notes, this is a tight turn with some adverse camber, and the need for some acceleration out of it. Be aware of people possibly losing control under acceleration here.

T9L & T10L – These complex, reducing-radius, effectively double-apexed turns can cause issues by peoples lines and relative grip levels, so you will need to be aware of the differences in relative grip and manoueverability of the cars around you as you go in. As mentioned in the Circuit Notes, be aware of what’s around you.

T13R – Drivers will be eager to get on the accelerator as soon as possible, so be aware of possible spins under power due to overexuberance. Selfishness and overeagerness here could well ruin more than one person’s race, so exercise prudence through this section.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There were no reported (or viably punishable) incident reports arising from Round1.

2 drivers incurred “No-Show” infractions:
· Chris Hartmann
· Ryan Walker

Similar to last season, 2 consecutive no-shows will mean removal from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Grats Ryan and rest of the podium. Had a fun and close race. :)

Sadly I hit ghost/lag car about 2 seconds before reaching the finish line resulting a DNF due to suspension failure. Thats life. :)
Thank you for the race Stuart and Racedepartment.

found out too late in quali that the balance wasn't there on low fuel having spent time getting used to full tanks but there you go - my penalty for not checking.

decent start launched away well and took a few positions. looked nice and clean around me with people being cautious to T1-2-3 complex. got into a rhythmn and sent about catching the cars dicing in front. Good scrap with Ondrej who, as he said, was driving agressively to hold his place. pretty firmly the door was shut at times but once he made the mistake i was by. plaudits to senad though. in the alfa sitting about 2sec behind never giving up and when the balance of my car shifted he took his opportunity and got the place. a recovering neil came past next who was deffo coping a lot better with the car than me at this stage so little fight put up there. tried to hang onto the tail and get senad back but car was not letting me tell it who was boss. last few laps was on the tail of Norman Bruce... thru the twisty stuff but not on the straights. watch the replay last lap last corner. i get on the power so much earlier but still cannot fight that car.

still learning the ferrari and loving it.

thanks for race all!

Had fun battling with the 2 Jags from Jay and Bob, was good and fair, even though the lag made it a lot more difficult.
I do owe an apology to Jay, when I came back on track after my spin I didn't see you. Sorry mate, luckily the impact was not hard.

Np Peter, had a good little scrap for a few laps and was going to try and go for a pass with a lap or two to go but lost the back end going in to that tight left hander :rolleyes:, that let Bob pass as well so finished in 10th which was nice......:wink:

very weird stuff tonight. at race start i could only see 5 cars ahead. did a pretty lonly race and was very disapointed with my pace.
for a while i tried to fight erling but he was faster then me i admit:). then jari and i had a very nice and clean fight. i was leading but jari was much faster then me at the slow parts. at the end i made a little mistake and jari went by. i had no reply. i later enjoyed following jari and erling who had a very nice fight between them.
after the race neil tasker wrote in chat that we had an incident at turn 2. i had no idea what happend i didn't feel or see any contact and didn't see neil's car. only after watching the replay now i saw for the first time neil's car.yes we had a touch but it wasn't too bad, i didn't see neil's car in game and had no damage. very weird. sorry for the hit neil but belive me i just didn't see you.
well done ryan for the win and i am sorry for ross and bob who missed the race. gtl can be a real pain sometimes.
maybe we should consider going back to the main server again?

Had fun battling with the 2 Jags from Jay and Bob, was good and fair, even though the lag made it a lot more difficult.
I do owe an apology to Jay, when I came back on track after my spin I didn't see you. Sorry mate, luckily the impact was not hard.
I hope I will once have an oppurtunity to have a nice battle with a cobra, corvette or shelby. Today I again lost 5 seconds per lap. I look forward to singapore, that it the only track where I might have a small chance. In the meanwhile I must say I do like the battles with the other cars. I hope the lag wasn't coming from my side today, did anyone else experience any lag?

No lag that I saw Peter. You looked fine & also Jay.

Sorry for my T1 incident on lap 2, I was too late on the brakes, I'm not sure who I hit but I hope they did not get much damage.

Senad, I was unaware that you were there when I was rejoining, I was on the right hand side of the track which would have been off line, I usually do take care when rejoining but I never saw you, sorry.

Well a pretty straight forward race for me, Q 10th and made a good start. Didn't get caught up with the few cars out braking themselves on lap 1 and settled down for 19 laps of racing. In the first half of the race I had Peter behind me, sometimes close sometimes a small gap but as we reached about halfway I had a small issue into T3 and Peter was close enough to get along side for T5. Then a couple of laps later Peter had a spin so I was back infront. All was going well but as the tyres were going off I myself had an off at T10 which let Peter & Jay get by. As they were duking it out I thought I might be able to catch them but again I was pushing a little too hard for my now worn tyres so had to back off a little. Around lap 17 Jay spun at T10, very tricky corner, & I was just able to squeeze by as he was returning to the track. At the end of lap 17 Jay looked like he was going for a late braking manover into the last turn so I gave him some room but I think he just pulled it up enough before I turned in but we did have slight contact, np Jay. This allowed me a 1.5sec gap which I held until the finish line.

Thanks to Thommo for all his hard work for the league and get well soon. Also thanks tonight Ryan for the server duties.

Grats to Ryan on the win and wd the rest of the podium.

no worries amir as you say if you could only see 5 cars then its under standable that you didnt see me i wasnt to bother with the contact, it was just i was going tight on inside up past nigel then you cut on inside, just felt it was alittle agressive for opening lap and could have caused a big accident, but if you couldnt see me thats why, no harm done, :)

as for my race wow was running nice in 14th after gaing alot of places then had to pit and got put to last and 35 secs back managed an fairly good recovery to gain the time back and get 6 places to finish a respectable 18th,
sorry for chat at very end whilst other still on track thought we had all finished,

was awsome to watch the leader come past ryan going sideways in my rear view mirror was ace, hope i didnt get your guys ways,

grat to the podiums and all finishers and feel for the ones that got discos man that sucks,

Good scrap with Ondrej who, as he said, was driving agressively to hold his place. pretty firmly the door was shut at times but once he made the mistake i was by.

It was fight for the line... you were with Senad faster about 1 second or so per lap and it was just the only way to stick hard with one line and hope that you wont be able to get trough - fair race from your side you wasnt pushing over your or the car's performance and it ended in very great drive... the lack of speed also made me to push more harder ending in the 11th lap which literally was end of my race, where I overpushed :D

Senad said:
Nah! you bumped me when I was 20% on throttle - fair enough to manipulate with it to recover, I just ended outside the track and it didnt seem to be damaged :)

Hated that track at first, but then learned to "like" it LOL

My yesterday's highlight was a practice run in the afternoon where I drove about 8 laps and with each lap improved my laptime =)
For some reason, I cannot keep up the practice session pace during the races ...

However, I once again learned a little bit more about the little cobra and know how to improve my setup (in case we will ever run this track again... in the same cars) ... if I keep up the pace of those kinds of realization, I will eventually be able to benefit from them DURING a race hahaha

I still cannot pull off one of my great starts as ordinarily done in S4 :( that little beast is so rude to me after the screen says "3,2,1 GO" ... it's a little like:

if you now start punching my pedal, I will punch us into the wall!!!

I've learned my lession in many practice sessions, so went from P7 quali (I believe LOL) to P9 after T1/T2
Nonetheless, I was very please to have made it trough the carnage loving T1 unharmed only to find several cars piling up in T4 forcing me to go off track in order to avoid major damages!

This was one quick way of losing 7 positions and NO, regaining them was not as easy LoL
BUT, I did have lots of fun driving with many other cars =)

There was one incident where I think I might have not been able to match up some turquoise Jag's braking power just before T1 ... for this I would like to apologize!

After lap 13, I was all by myself doing time trail LoL
After lap 15, I checked XD for fuel and got hit in the face when the display read 5.2 liters knowing that I will 4 more laps to go with an average fuel consumption of 3.6 liters (I DID load 75 liters, though!!!)
--- wow, that's gonna bring me home in first place, I thought, reminding myself of the fact that I had NOT done pit stops before LoL (ok, one but that was just practice and last year in febr.)

So, since then, the rear view mirror became my best friend and so did early upshifting and clutch coasting hahahaa
With 2 more laps to go, I noticed that Amir, who was fighting with sb else, was closing in from behind and I was forced to kick it up a notch.

I finally did finish the race P11

AND, this could've been from a movie:

MY "LOW FUEL" light came on the instant I stopped the car after the finish line LOL

Thanks RD once again

Had a mixed qual, landed in traffic at the start but my second run was fine as i clocked a 1:24 something to land me in 7th place, so with 5 mins left i took a quick break and then topped up my whisky, but when i returned i had dropped to 9th on the grid.

Got a great start again and went flying past the other 2 Cobra's and after the dust had settled i found myself in 5th or 6th place and following Carlos, i knew i could not pass him on the straight but i kept it close and when he run wide coming out of turn 2 i had got the drive and powered past going up the hill and i was in 4th.

Thought i would have a battle keeping Carlos behind me but luck was on my side as Nils was right on Carlos's tail and the two of them fighting held them both up a bit so i pulled out a 4 or 5 second gap, but after Nils got past Carlos he soon closed me down so knowing he was quicker and not wanting us both to fall back to Carlos i let Nils through.

That was about it for me until the last 2 or 3 laps when my car by this time has handling like shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, with lots of fuel it feels great but once it is a bit lighter the balance goes all to cock and it is a constant battle to keep it pointed the right way so Dmytro caught me up and we swapped places for 4 or 5 laps, he could always catch me at the end of the straights so it made for an interesting fight for the last few laps, he nearly had me on the last lap at the last corner but i kept it tight and tried to leave him little room to get the power down cleanly and i got the traction which saw me power to the line in front of him.

Thnx all for giving me a good clean race, bit hairy at the start for some but i managed to get through it unscathed unlike some others.

Grats Ryan and rest of the podium. Had a fun and close race. :)

Sadly I hit ghost/lag car about 2 seconds before reaching the finish line resulting a DNF due to suspension failure. Thats life. :)
Thank you for the race Stuart and Racedepartment.

Yeah see it now. In the server replay. Weird i just crossed the finish normal, behind Ryan and my car just drove the rest of the lap.
But when i crossed it in the replay my car gets placed on the grid spot again, half way into the ground.
Also weird thing is that some people just drove into me without contact. Erling who was infront of you also hit me but there wasnt any contact at all.

I saw it from a mile away, and drove around it, just in case. But I guess it kept appearing and disappearing, so some others weren't able to spot and avoid it.

Anyway, forgot, thanks to Ryan for the help yesterday :thanks:. He took the Abarth for a spin, did a 29.4 with race fuel in a couple of laps. I managed 30.6 overall I think, happy times :D
And thanks to the organizers :thanks:

All, Ryan's given me the rundown on the technical gremlins - it seems pretty intense and race destroying for a lot of people.

I'll do a vote thread to see if a re-run is warranted.

We have precedents for this with the technical issues @ Mosport last season, but I want to know what you lot think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 38 6.0%