RDHGP S6 - Round 3 - Rouen-les-Essarts - 100km - 9th Dec 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
I love the smell of RDHGP Round 3 in the morning.

Welcome back to Round 3 of RDHGP S6. Anderstorp was a pretty big contrast after Mosport, and we saw some people adapt readily, while some others found the Scandinavian circuit hard going.

We had our first Racing Incident report at Anderstorp, which we turned around inside 48 hours thanks to the Drivers Panel that was convened. I hope to keep these things as rapid as possible so people aren’t left waiting, wondering what is going on, FIA-style.

We managed to dodge any technical issues at Anderstorp for the most part, which I’m rather glad about. There was a debate in the thread after between Krzysztof & Dmytro about an incident in T1R, which I kept my eye on, but was always polite and did not descend into finger pointing, so I let it stand. Additionally, it was a rather interesting point to debate with some areas open to interpretation, so it may prove valuable. This is not meant as a criticism of the two drivers involved as it was resolved amicably, but it does serve as a good example

My take on it, and the salient points therein, is as follows:-
  • Overlap – this needs to be created before braking occurs. It is very easy to get on the brakes a fraction of a second later to create a physical overlap, but it doesn’t mean you are in control and can make the corner properly. Unless you are sure that you can brake that much later and make the corner under total control on a safe line without baulking the car you are passing, think twice about the attempt.
  • Lines – the people in front should be aware that someone was close behind then going into the corner. If, like Dmytro in the example, you lock up and drift wide, you should expect that the driver following you (Krzysztof) now has that inside line. If you go wide, you’ve made a mistake, take your medicine and stay on a wide line around the corner. Cutting back across to your previous line will just cause those sort of accidents, and the Incident Report will almost certainly go against you.
  • Periphery – the biggest loss that we get between real world vs sim racing is that sense of peripheral vision/hearing etc. so we need to be extra aware using what we do have (mirrors, etc). People in front need to be aware of their situation, people behind need to recognise the driver in front’s limitations.
  • Perspective – losing 1 place, and therefore 1 point, safely is probably better than defending it aggressively and taking you both off. Look at it this way - If you’re in 13th and drop one place safely, you’ve still got 7 points for 14th. Take you and the Car behind off, and you’re both almost certainly left with nothing. Be pragmatic about it.
Such is the ever evolving world of the RDHGP season, we go straight from the technically demanding Scandinavian Raceway to a faster track and what will almost certainly be the shortest race on the year, in time terms at least.

For Round 3, we travel 750 miles SouthWest to Rouen, Northern France and the Historic Rouen-Les-Essarts circuit, and the fearsomely quick 1955-1970 layout.

rouen.jpg

Circuit Notes

Located about 70 miles North West of Paris, Rouen-les-Essarts was opened in 1950, with the original layout of 3.17 miles being about a mile shorter than the version we will be running. In 1955, the original link from Beauval to Paradis was abandoned, and the back straight extended to include Gresil and Scierie corners, forming the most famous layout of this great circuit. This layout was used until the French Grand Prix of 1968 where Jo Schlesser lost his life. After this, the circuit never hosted F1 again, F2 being the highest Formula hosted. A new Autoroute through the area forced the track to be changed in 1970, progress ironically taking it back closer to the original layout. A new permanent chicane built in 1974 on the Six Freres corner changed the character enough that it forced a rename to Des Roches. The circuit close due to economic and safety reasons in 1994, but the gentlemen of the RDHGP have re-opened this great circuit in its fastest and most famous incarnation – 1955-1970.

I know there are certain drivers in certain cars (and I think we all know who I’m referring to here) who are looking at the track map, and licking their lips.

There is a decent length run from the S/F line to the first corner, T1R, which is fast, while falling away down and right, opening on to fast a downhill straight. We reach some high speeds before getting hard on the brakes for T2L, an uncambered Left-hander. A very tricky corner, especially near the start of a race with compressed traffic and cold tyres.

Hard on the accelerator to T3R – Six Frères – a real balancing act of steering and throttle inputs to negotiate this and keep momentum for the final downhill run of the lap. Building up to near full speed, Rouen then plays its sneakiest trick on drivers, and that is T4aL & T4bR – Nouveau Monde.

T4aL is a left handed kink placed exactly where you would want to be braking on a straight approach for the T4bR hairpin. This normally involves some early braking before T4aL, coming off the brakes to make the corner and then back on hard to make sure you negotiate the T4bR hairpin. To make it harder, the hairpin itself is cobbled, not tarmac, so any over aggressive acceleration can throw your rear out. A very technical section to come in the midst of the lap, and one that will punish the complacent or careless. This is the lowest point of the circuit, from here we climb over 100m to the highest point.

T5R is shallow, and negotiated at full acceleration before a dab of brakes to negotiate the first of two left-handers. T6L is relatively shallow, but has some negative camber on it, so an early turn in is vital here. Follow this with another blast of foot down before approach the sucker punch of T7L, Sanson. Tight and not particularly positive cambered, going in here too hot will run you off and into the barrier on the outside.

On the exit of Sanson, it’s hard acceleration into T8R Beauval, a relatively shallow right hander. Well balanced cars will be able to just give a slight breathe on the throttle to make this corner, and then get on full acceleration for the massively long, flatout section that follows. There is a slight, shallow kink – T9R L’Etoile – before you get up to full speed, but this is handled without any slowing.

A long stretch of uphill straight follows before T10R, Gresil, the highest point of the circuit, which, if you are feeling happy with your car, you can take at full chat. Another long straight follows, which starts bound on the left by Armco, and then widens to a 5 or 6 lane width up to the last hard braking point of the lap, T11R – Scierie. This is a medium speed corner, but it’s highly likely that the approach to Scierie may well be the highest speed that our cars reach this season, so making sure you adjust to the speed difference is vital.

Flat out from there, as the tracks starts gently downhill again, and through the final turn T12R Paradis, negotiated without a lift if at all possible and onto the S/F straight to complete the lap.
attachment.php

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

T2R – This corner, especially on the first lap, will be tricky due to the heavy braking zone, and the negative camber throwing your car to the outside. Reckless accidents here will be punished heavily if reported. As always, be aware in Lap 1, of people as you turn in here, it will be slower than on susbsequent laps and crowded.

T4aL / T4bR – Nouveau Monde. As mentioned above, this is a highly technical section, with little or no run off areas. If someone goes off on the inside of T4aL, they will most likely spear across the track and into the exit of T4bR. Entry to T4bR is a prime example of the passing region that I am talking about in the introduction. People may take a wide entry to T4bR, deliberately, with the aim of swooping across for a late apex. Be aware of this – it is not carte blanch for mad runs up the inside and then protesting that you had overlap.

T11R – Scierie. There will be lots of different braking distances for this corner, as well as lots of different top speeds down the back straight. Be aware of what is around you, and again, throwing a lte one up the inside and not making the corner does not constitute a fair or clean pass. It is very easy to drift off the outside here, and the kerbs can upset you into a spin.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
You may put your lights on if you are on a timed Qualifying lap to inform people in front of you. If they themselves are on a timed lap, they are not under any obligation to move for you.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There was one incident report arising from Round 2.
· D. Cuthill receives a 20 sec penalty for avoidable contact and severely disadvantaging another driver.

There are 2 Drivers removed from the League after 2 consecutive no-shows
· H. Smolders
· G. Migazzi

2 drivers have also resigned from the League
· G. Camargo
· K. Omdal Tveito

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Attachments

• rouen_map_sized.jpg
    rouen_map_sized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 407
Great read, as usual :good:

Love this track, one of my favourites. It was one of my first events in the GTL club earlier this year. I remember I had a huge crash, hopefully this time will be better :)

Here's my fastest lap from that race, in a GT40. Nothing special, I'm not very good

Easily and clearly my best performance track from my days in GPL which is where i first fell in love with this track,that love has stayed with me through the sim years across different platforms and is probably deeper now...
I am aware that my little 911 wont be smiling down the back straight but will enjoy some little advantages in other sections.
Unlucky losing Knut for the rest of the season,take care m8 and you will be back strong next time.

Cheers Stu for another serving of RDHGP quality.

Well done on the briefing Stu and the clarification with respect to the overlap issue. To me, being relatively new to this stuff, it is one of the toughest areas to negotiate. So much to consider in such a short amount of time with limited vision and with the potential of disastrous results. Hey , but that is racing.

As with this race track, I think this one does not match the Bmw charactistics as well as the power cars, so very important to be smooth throughout and not worry about running with the bulls.:wink:

I'm not expecting great things of the 914 around here, tbh.

The only upside is the fully customisable gearbox in the 914, so I won't be limited by final drives, but I think I might just take too long to get up to my top speed to be anything more than a number-maker-upper. :D

Whole heartedly mirror what Lenno said - Rouen + GPL + 1967 Cooper = Top bombing :good:

A good track is a good track is a good track, irrespective of platform, and Rouen remains a magnificent piece of virtual auotmotive real estate in it's GTL incarnation.

And, before someone asks, we are using this version of GTL Rouen as opposed to the VLM version for a couple of reasons:
1. The VLM version - while magnificent - is heavier on resources than this one, and we don't really want any framerate drops with the numbers we have and the cars we're driving
2. This one has slighter better and clearer corner approach markers than the VLM one - again, we will take a slightly less glossy approach if it removes any ambivalence or doubt in people's minds.

Both of these reasons were enough for us to think that it would benefit all of us with regard to race survivability.

Dmytro,you can drive over the lines because this is part of a Hy road that is closed for racing, but
watch out when you come out of the corner on the strait there is a stone wall on your left side.

Thanks Stuart, great piece of work again,an I like this layout of the track the most, close by the
GPL version .:)

Hi. I have problem with connecting to the server. After writing password game informs me that host uses different game version. My game version is 1.1.0.0, OS is Windows 7 (I have changed OS from XP after race on Anderstorp). Of course I have installed Rouen, all cars and last skinpack.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mixed feeling about this one in the Pantera. For sure the straights suit it, apart from one big reason, the limited gearing. The power helps in many spots, especially up the hills but the braking and cornering is a bit scary. Love driving it though, now I have wired (at last) net I can hopefully participate in a race :)

I've done my allocation as I'm not racing 2nite. I'm currently not active in Sim racing online at the moment as I've lost my motivation. I'll see how things are going in good time for the next round as I don't want to pull out completely yet.

Good luck to everyone taking part and hopefully I'll be back racing with renewed enthusiasm in the new year:good:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%