RDHGP S6 - Round 1 - Mosport Park - 100km - 11th Nov 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix Season 6 is Go - Welcome to 1972

Welcome to Season 6 of the RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix (RDHGP), covering the Autumn / Winter session of 2010/2011. After last season’s (successful) breaking of the “mod car” vehicle availability, this coming season also navigates into previously uncharted waters. This season we are running a class not included in GT Legends by default - the GTC-72 class. Comprising of the cars that were not really on a par with the fastest in GTC-76, and some high quality mod cars deliberately made to compete in this class, we may have come across the closest set of vehicles (in performance terms) that we’ve ever been able to assemble for an RDHGP season. Additionally, we race on the African continent for the first time in RDHGP, and also visit Japan and Sweden for their first RDHGP events. Our final “first” is actually a repeat oddly enough, as we return for the first time to a track we have used in RDHGP previously - since I’ve been running at least.

I hope that the testing event we held recently is a genuine indicator of the closeness we will experience throughout the season. The individual cars showed their (relative) strengths and weaknesses over the 2 test events, but the overall pace was pretty well matched across all the cars. I’m hopeful of it being a classic season, with multiple drivers challenging for the title and battles right the way through the field.

The season opener takes us to North America, specifically to Bowmanville, Ontario in Canada and the legendary Mosport Park.
mosp.jpg

Circuit Notes
Located about 10 miles North of Lake Ontario, Mosport (pronounced “Moe-sport”) was Canada’s second purpose built road racing circuit, after Westwood Park in British Columbia. Designed and built in the late 1950’s, it’s first major race was held in 1961, the Player’s 200 sports car event, won by Stirling Moss in a Lotus 19. At Moss’s suggestion, the proposed hairpin was expanded into two discrete corners, to challenge the drivers more and to increase the excitement for the spectators. The two corners are collectively named “Moss” in his honour. Mosport held the Canadian F1 Grand prix for 10 years, from 1967-1977, the Can-Am series every year of it’s history from 1966 except 1968, as well as events in the American Le Mans Series, The World Sportscar Championship, Formula 5000 and the Nascar Canadian Tyre Series.

Unlike so many legendary and historically significant motor racing venues, Mosport’s track layout has remained almost completely unchanged from its original form. With 10 turns in a just over 4km length, Mosport is one of the higher speed circuits we are running during our season, but don’t think that it’s simple or toothless, as it uses some impressive gradients to add degrees of difficulty to it’s generally high speed corners.

Mosport starts on a fairly short straight, short enough that some of the lower placed qualifiers may actually be lined up around the final corner. T1R is an absolute monster of a corner to start the League season on, diving away down and right, the inside being both obscured and guarded by the pit wall. The first lap will mean this is extra crowded through here, so caution will be required to not ruin several peoples races straight out of the gate. Accelerating out of T1 downhill, you reach a good speed before coming to T2L – Clayton. Clayton is highly crested and blind on approach because of the gradient, turning down, away and left just as the car crests and is at its lightest and most skittish.

Once settled out of T2L, it’s full acceleration towards T3R - Quebec. This is the most classic corner on the front half of the circuit, high speed, but not too heavily graded. A flatout burst of acceleration out of Quebec before the straight drops away steeply into the relatively shallow radiused T4L, but the radius is not the real issue here as, at exit, the track suddenly switches to a steep uphill section and into the heavy braking zone for T5R – Moss 1. A lot of cars will be slithering through Moss 1 on the limits of adhesion, trying to make the corner and get the car settled before the even tighter T6R – Moss 2. A very tight 90 degree right, trying to straighten the corner by running across the inside is fraught with dangers, as the inside kerb is very steep and will throw cars off it, unsettling them and spinning them, generally leaving them stranded in the middle of the circuit.

Out of T6R, it’s flat out acceleration through the slight uphill curve of T7L, and onto the long, double crested Andretti Straightaway. The higher powered cars will be able to stretch their legs here, with the more manoueverable cars hopefully getting close enough for a tow, before getting settled for T8R & T9L – The Esses. A couple of decreasing radius turns that need the car to be stable whilst changing directions at still fairly high speed before T10R – Whites.

The pitlane starts just before Whites, meaning that the pitlane can give the impression of a shallower turn than it actually is, especially when the pit wall suddenly starts on the apex. In addition, there is no positive camber on Whites, so cars coming in too hot will slide off the outside of the corner and into the waiting traps, and walls. Too much acceleration will conversely throw the rear of the car around, and shove the nose into the pit wall on the inside.

Get this corner right and it’s a dash for the S/F line and another lap of Mosport Park.

500px-Mosport.svg.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers.

Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

T1R – Especially on Lap 1. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. I am really tempted to put a “no-pass” rule in place for this corner on Lap1, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to you all. Do not make me regret my decision. Be aware, however, that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely, probably with a “no quali” penalty for Round 2.

T2L – Clayton. As mentioned in the Circuit Notes, this is heavily graded, and it is very easy to slide off the outside here. On the outside of the corner is a tyre barrier, but it is all too easy to go into the end of this barrier and completely kill your engine.

T5R & T6R – Moss. This complex is approached under heavy braking after the high speed T4L, so you will need to be aware of the differences in braking distances and relative manoueverability of the cars around you as you go into T5R. Conversely, be aware of cars trying to take too much inside kerb through T6R, as the kerbs are very steep and can unsettle the accelerating car into a spin, right on the racing line.

T10R – Whites. Drivers missing this to the outside must be aware of traffic as they try to rejoin. Selfishness and overeagerness here could well ruin more than one person’s race, so exercise prudence through this section.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
As it’s Round 1 of a new season, everyone comes into it with a completely clean slate.

Giorgio Migazzi has missed the vehicle choice deadline for Round 1 and so will not be permitted to take part in Round 1. It will become No-show infraction if he misses the race without allocating his status correctly.

As a change from last season, 2 consecutive no-shows will mean removal from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.
The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Well, it didn't go too well for me tonight. I got bit by lap one. Dmytro and I were entering the slow downhill right hander when a small change in our racing lines ended up in me spinning off into the heavy gravel, messed up my suspension and had to pit. I think I was in the pits for about 2 minutes. After I got out I was very distracted because I was very disappointed and that caused me to crash again and mess up my suspension once more. In fear of loosing another 2 minutes in the pits I decided to just forge on ahead. I was dead last. I had no hopes of even getting a point, but it's not like me to quit a race, unless my car is undrivable.

The good thing is that at the end of the day, it's just a game, so no reason for me to get too angry or depressed about how it turned out. But I won't be spending too much time practicing from now on. That way, if disaster strikes again, at least I wont be losing all that time I invested in practice.

Erling, I will try to send you my 914 directory so you could delete yours and try mine. I had no troubles tonight.
Also, there is a 911s that will crash your PC if you grapphics are set to "Low" for the vehicles. Make sure that your settings are on at least medium all the way across the board.

I will send you a PM when I get around to sending you the directory, right now I have to run.

Despite my personal experience tonight, I wanna say that it looks like one hell of a season, and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Thank you so much for all your hard work Thommo. And thanks to all that joined up and showed up, without you guys there's no RDHGP.

For some reason the nasty stutter-screen-man decided to pay me a visit as we started qually,left and turned shads off and it wasnt any better,decided to plod on and finally got a nice lap done which got me front row behind Ryan,not a great start really so had to retake a place at T2 with a nicely timed run on Ralf putting along side him,it was a bit of a dodgy situation but went very smoothly and let me try and hook on to Ivo in the lead,and again a familiar story of having extra pace in parts of the tracks it was no good to try and pass so i think without Ivo's problems passing would have been a real challenge and probably requiring some sort of mistake,what i did enjoy was very nice tyres,almost the same at the end as they were at the beginning,hope that continues through the whole league :).
It feels very nice to end a long period of league wins drought for me :D.
Well done Andre and Ralf and all finishers of S6 Round #1.
Chins up the unlucky few that it didnt work out well for,as we all know its very much a "swings and roundabouts" deal over a league and the finger of doom is hovering above us all each round......pondering who to point out for some heartache....

Huge thanks Stu/Carlos & RD

Rollercoaster for me :redface:

I still don´t understand the car :confused: I load my set with i could drove 28.7, also almost in race but first i was only possible to drive low 30´s in traing. What´s wrong i thought and tried something different but equal what i change the car feel ... understeer ... everywhere :rolleyes:. Then i go again back and now 28.8 in training. That´s :confused:. So ok i stayed with that, go in qualy and zoom again only 29.3 on P9. Not to discribe for me.
Race started, could pass 1-2 positions but was unsure which pace i could go. First lap in double right i had a little unlucky scene with Predrag which Krystof made a pass. Then he spun in front of me last corner which i couldn´t avoid a light tap to him, to both sorry for the touches.
Then i tried to find a rythm with little room to i thought Amir behind me. I could close the gap to Bob and Ralf who was fighting for P3. I hoped something happen cause on straight was no way to pass. with the mistake from Bob i was now right behind Ralf. In first sector i was everytime very close to him which give me maybe a chance to pass but only a little mistake from Ralf who touches a bit the grass let me go beside him and go on P2. Watched now for Gary but there was no way to catch him, in opposite he run away from me nearly a second per lap. So concentrate to create a gap to Ralf but then i crashed on straight against Hans lagging car which i almost lost all my room to Ralf. And after Jack don´t notice me in his mirrow for lapping and close me two times the door Ralf was close again. With this i had a hard task for last 4-5 laps. Even harder if Ivo had also catch us but with his FFB problem he run wide 1 sec behind Ralf. Finally i could stay on P2 which is great after only P9 in qualy. It´s so close that from P2 (this time :rolleyes:) to P15 could happen all. So i´m very lucky on the podium.

But now i have to speak with my race engineer why say gave Gary the faster car. Like i said, the setup from the car is really a mercury for me, sometimes fast - then again not can´t see why :confused:. Very strange without any oversteer in normal driving.

Congrats Gary, nice show and :thanks: Ralf for the very fair fight for P2 - think we see us more often next time.

Sorry about being a bit slow at letting you and Ralf get by me Andreas. I know it's an area that needs improving, just ask Stu!!! I won't make excuses but I was concerned about losing car control, losing driving line, slowing too quickly, causing an accident, finding the best spot to let you by, the price of gas, gobal warming, etc, all at the same time and I didn't realiize you guys were that close and were trying to get by me, so I just srewed up "alittle" I think.

Finished 17th which is all that I could have hoped for and more.

Again thanks to Stu for the last minute help and extreme patience. Grads to Gary, Andreas, and Ralf, and to all racers.

Really enjoyed that one even though i did crash n burn on the last lap.

Start was not like the usual GTL start though as a few nudges here and there meant you had to have all round vision but it soon settled down as some found there tyres don't grip well in the cold and spun off and once the dust had settled i found i had dropped to 17th but with no damage and the car feeling great :D

Had a few laps with some good fights along the way until working my way up until 12th and then joined the train that formed behind Dmytro as Steve, Bob and myself just had to follow until Dmytro lost it and let us all past. The laps after that i tried just about everything but found it hard to get past Bob, even though the Porsche mauled the BMW in the first 2 sections of the track Bob had me covered and even when i got alongside him a couple of times coming out of the hairpin he could easily outdrag me :frown: But he finally left a space as he took the wide line in turn 2 i took the inside line and prayed he had seen me, i felt a wee scuff as i went past but could see he was still on track so :woot: Next up was Steve with not many laps left so on lap 24 i went for it and on turn 3 i was going around the outside and had almost had it past and up to 9th when we had the slightest of contacts which sent me flying off into the tyres with a dead engine :mad: (no fault of Steve's just the poor contact settings of the sim).

But even if i did crash n burn at least i got to enjoy 24 good laps of racing before it happened unlike some others :wink:

Thnx to all who made it a fun nights racing.

and to those that think the Porsche is hard on tyres then think again as mine were great and could of managed the same distance again no problem :D

Attachments

• mos.jpg
    mos.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 247
I'm very glad we managed to get it all going properly - thanks to most for their patience and understanding, especially for the quick "race session" test before we rolled to quali.

The start, as alluded to by Neil, was a bit more "robust" than normal, but I suspect there was a confluence of reasons to explain it: this being League Race1, people wanting to get off to a good start at both League and race level, the short straight, very tight grid (both time wise and physical proximity), 2 fast an demanding corners on very cold tyres almost immediately and the difference in car handling meant that it was always going to be a bit lairy, but it did seem to settle down pretty quickly.

As is my custom, I quallied with race fuel in (so I know exactly how it's going to handle come Lap1), but the grid was so unblievably close that even if it cost me just a tenth or two, that was 4 or 5 places.

Got away OK and pretty cleanly, avoided the people who seemed willing to trade paint for places on those awkward first few corners, settling in behind Bob's Beemer. We both avoided Ryan's car when he went off, but there was some consequences a little further up the road which I managed to see as I was on a different line to Bob, but I suspect he couldn't as he was close to the car in front of him, and so I managed to slip through the ensuing chaos, and got some decent clean air and started chasing Nige, with the recovering Krzsyztof behind me. Krzsyz was way quick in the 911, and Nige was just too far ahead for me to be close enough to get a tow off him up the straight, so it was hold stations for a while. Me & Krzsyz traded places a couple of times, but then he made a great move over the hill and closed right up on Nige's Capri. It was a case for me then of keeping it clean and picking up the pieces if anyone in front fell off.

The only real drama was when I closed up on Jack to lap him as he mentioned, and we kind of got our wires crossed about where and what side he was letting me through - no problem from me mate, I'm just glad the touch didn't cost you any points (as I say Jack, 1 League race, 1 points finish - not to be sneezed at).

After avoiding Bob M's stranded Capri, and nipping past when Nige went off approaching Moss, I managed to keep it pretty clean and bring it home 7th.

Pretty happy with that, to be honest, as I don't think this is the 914's preferred sort of track.

I'm very glad we managed to get it all going properly - thanks to most for their patience and understanding, especially for the quick "race session" test before we rolled to quali.

This time it works ok - right, but sometimes i saw little lags with car go on and off (big lags in Hans case). Also in Ivo´s replay, if i switch to cars far away to Ivo their lagged like hell over the track (guess only in the replay.-). I mean last season this wasn´t the case so i hope we had not only luck this time. I read something about hight graphic details are required for the skins. Are there any recommended values ? Or anything else which should be done, also for Ivo´s and Krystof´s FFB problems ?

Race was oke for me server wise. But at the last to laps i saw Amir's ping going to 400 at some points. But dont know if it was server wise because other cars where oke. Also when we went to next track after the race i saw the chat with everyone his name but the cars where missing and the chat didnt work anymore.

Overall server performance lastnight was good i thought,just that very weird stutters right from the start of qualify,thankfully after ignoring it for a couple of laps it completely cleared up.
All the race was perfect as well between me and the other cars i got near,but i did have one big scare approaching Hans to lap him,just a big sudden ghost lag boinged his car from 500m ahead to 5m off my nose in an instant...*gulp*...thankfully that didnt happen again and eventually plain sailing to pass him.

Had a very enjoyable start to the season and if that race was a precursor to things to come then it's going to be a very exciting season.

Quali was very tight as expected and for one reason or another I just could not get the times I was getting in practice. In fact I was nearly a second off until the very last lap/seconds of quali when I managed to get a half decent lap in. Even then it was only good enough for 21st, that's how close the midfield times were.

The start for me was good making up a few places, managing to avoid a few off's of others, but then losing them again trying to avoid an accident at the top of the circuit. No worries still the whole race to go.

As the race progressed and cars dropped off I found myself behind Dmytro for what felt like eternity. We had some great close racing I just couldn't find a safe way to pass and that little 914 seemed as wide as a bus at times. Being tucked up behind Dmytro allowed fellow Beemer driver, Bob and Neil in his 911 ease up behind me and not only did I have to concentrate on trying to pass Dmytro, I had good fun watching the battle behind me as well as trying to hold the pair of them off.

About 5 laps from the end I think Dmytro may of been the victim of a "ghost car" lagging on the exit of the corner before the long back straight, as he appeared to drive around a car that wasn't really there and took a wide line onto the grass allowing myself Bob and Neil to pass. That's when the real pressure started. Neil was attacking Bob and likewise Bob was on my tail being a right nuisance ;) Knowing both as I do I knew there would be no silly dives, just fair hard racing.

And so it was for the remainder of the race.

On lap 23 Neil managed a pass on Bob and on the very last lap had a great run out of turn 2 and we was side by side approaching turn 3. Neil going for a pass on the outside of the right hander, me trying to hug the inside as tight as possible knowing the 911 was there. As neil mentioned we touched, every so slightly, but the reaction (by the game physics) of Neil's car was well out of proportion to the contact. Sorry for that mate, as after watching the replay, I had no idea you didn't get going again.

All in all it was a great opener to the season. Looking forward already to the next round.

Congrats to Gary for the win (this little porker being a bit kinder than S3's eh :) grats to rest of the podium finishers.

PS. Bob Hutchins - do you know what does blue flag mean? During quali you left the pit and I was on the measure lap and you blocked me after the sector I gained 0.1 s to my time. You should have let me overtake you as indicated blue signal on your hud. Nothing special happened but I think we should follow the rules.

Sorry about that Krzysztof, as when I left the pits I did see a porsche in the distance as was thinking that if it got close I would let it by, also it was getting to the end of quali so only had a couple of laps left. Now, I don't use the ingame hud, only xd, plus I didn't know whether you were on a timed lap or not, but as the gap was staying the same & I knew I only had about 2 laps until the clock ran out I pushed on but then caught a 914 going a bit slowly ahead which then caused you to close the gap to me.

Post from guy on P914 which seemed as wide as a bus :)

My first official race. And the second general of all time (I don't count Watkins, for me it was more torment with PC).
Though it was with some tragic moments, but I'm happy with it at all.

Qualified 18th. I know that I can better, but for practices there was very little time.

Not bad start, Carlos and I drove up to the Moss and then was my first collision.
Carlos, friend,
I'm sorry I destroyed your race, in some sense, but I moved on my path. I did not see you until the moment when your side appeared in front of my hood.
On the second lap, and again in Moss, there was mass collision with several cars. I slightly pushed Stuart, he slightly pushed Knut and...Knut not so lucky.
Knut, you too will forgive me if I look guilty in this incident.

Then, as remarked Steven :D, I moved on a bus P914 and held up to 19th lap on 9th position.

Steven, I want to note and thank you for this fight. It was exciting. You never pushed me, even though I've created your problems in Moss.:drink:

It is a pity that I had no luck and eventually came upon a "ghost car" of Hans. I lost six positions.:frown:
Now it was just to get to the finish. Once again we struggled a bit with Carlos and finally i got 13th place.

Congrats to Gary for the win.
Many thanks for Stuart for all your hard work and others for the great race!

P.S. Excuse me for my poor English.:redface:

Sorry about that Krzysztof, as when I left the pits I did see a porsche in the distance as was thinking that if it got close I would let it by, also it was getting to the end of quali so only had a couple of laps left. Now, I don't use the ingame hud, only xd, plus I didn't know whether you were on a timed lap or not, but as the gap was staying the same & I knew I only had about 2 laps until the clock ran out I pushed on but then caught a 914 going a bit slowly ahead which then caused you to close the gap to me.

No problem Bob, it happens, thanks for explanation!

Ok, as far as I can see, nobody said a word about my thoughts to quit simracing or league. :) So, I will translate that as "buzz off", "stop whining, quit already", or "so long, goodbye". :D

Now when my head is cooler, I can say that I will practice race starts with AI at least, 50 race starts if I must, just to make sure that I will use the brake!

[sarcasm mode]Aaaaaand, thanks all for your support.[/sarcasm mode]

:)

cheers

Predrag, maybe not all have read your post but for me, I say "pls stay mate". Had some good races with you at the end of S5 so you have to stay with us. This was just the first round and at a very diffulcult track with the amount of cars there were plus everyone very close on times. Maybe the luck for you will change & sometime you have to make your own luck but if things go wrong sometimes you can't just give up.

What a start of a season!
First, I took out Tom (I think it was Tom), he was a little bit slower before right hander. Sorry Tom, I messed up your race mate. :(
After that incident my concentration went to hell, crashed 2 times heavily, decided to pit to remove damage, first corner ifter the pits I crashed, again, and killed the car.
I'm so pissed off right now that I'm thinking to quit simracing! It's not this particular race, remember, I had the same problem with taking out slower car in front in test race before the season. One stupid mistake to completely ruin opponents race, and my race + concentration.

Did I say that I'm pissed off? Small, very small gap is between my sanity and quitting the league.

Hey, wasn´t notice did. Sometimes it went wrong, ask Ryan maybe - hope he´s still alive :). I´m sure you will get also better times, your speed was good for top 10. From me i would not train against AI, better make the one or other club event. AI have nothing to do with racing against "real simracer" :wink:.

Thanks mates. :) After your words my only choice is to look forward (and literally lol). I will not quit the league or simracing that easy, but after stupid mistakes I made (like yesterday), I'm so frustrated that I can't think properly, hot head. :)
Thing is, I make that kind of mistakes often in the last year or so, for unknown reason. I see the car in front is slower and still I don't brake enough, or I'm too late with reaction. In the other hand, adrenaline rush is so high at every race start, that I can't control the car like in practice or qualy. And beside that annoying adrenaline, I have constant fear to not make some mistake, incident, etc, so it's a one more thing in my head that make huge pressure. :)

How do you deal with these issues?

We can continue this in "chat" thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%