RDHGP S4 - Testing event - 15th October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_testing.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC76 League Cars (skinpack to follow)
Track: Paul Ricard 88 / Paul Ricard 75 / Snetterton 64
Practice: 15 mins
Qualification: 10 mins
Race: 6 laps
Notes: Click here to read the password and golden rules!

No entry list or sign up required.

I haven't tried the other two tracks, but I am getting random lock ups on PR1975. Complete lockups, not CTD, would be better if they were CTDs.
I have tried all kinds of different graphics settings and nothing. I even tried different DX levels (like DX7). I hope I don't have these problems with any of the league tracks:damnit:

My PC:
Phenom 8400
3GB DDR2
ATI HD3870

Carlos - the first thing to attack is (iirc) the shadows level, drop that down and I believe that it makes a real difference, and then attack the details and resolution.

• Bert Van Waes

Ok, read it :)

To make sure though. I always used the flashing lights to say thank you, nothing more or less. But i guess this can't be done anymore.
I don't like hotkeys, so from this time around, if you let me pass for whatever reason or you wait for me after a hit (blue bmw alpina) i won't say thank you. Just know i would do it normally. :)

and oh yeah, i'll be there!

Saying "Thanks" by flashing the lights does not come under unsportsmanlike conduct Bert - mostly because you will generally be in front of the person you are thanking.

I'm talking about flashing when you are chasing and right behind them to try and distract them. As long as you use the correct timing, there will be no problem.

GPCOS Update

Done (27)

Ulli Haus
David Cuthill
Krzysztof Babij
Warren Dawes
Gary Lennon
Peter Gog
Steven Palmer
Sam J Simpson
Piotr Misiorek
Tom Wilson
Bert Van Waes
Stuart Thomson
Carlos Diaz
Nigel Atkins
Matt Crouch
Ben Tusting
Predrag Drobac
Kris Leeten
Amir Margalit
Ryan Callan
Peter Duivelaar
Knut Omdal Tveito
Ivo Simons
Jari Vinnari
Leszek Porzezinski
Hans Sneep
Jay Adgie

Not Done (3)

Simon Bacon
Stuart Neal
ummagumma (waiting on full RC application).

Little story behind a picture

Sorry Hans, no. It came up as a result on "racing pits"

Although I think "Holland" is a drivers name rather than a location.

The other one is labeled "Rose"

Indianapolis Pits
Pit-Boards---IMS-771714.jpg

Found it:

Indy Car Racing Blog http://www.nofenders.net/labels/Features.html

1947-49: Victorious (part of the story)
Moore’s two Blue Crown drivers that May were the 1941 Indy 500 co-winner Mauri Rose, with Indy 500 Rookie Bill Holland as his teammate. Rose qualified his No. 27 racecar third, while Holland rolled off from eighth place aboard the No. 16.

After pole sitter Bergere had led the first 23 laps, the rest of the race would be dominated by the two Blue Crown Spark Plug Specials leading the rest of the way, as Holland would lead a total of 143 laps

Yet, this was the year of the infamous EASY (“EZY”) sign board debacle, as then race leader Holland, mistakenly interpreted his pit board’s EZY letters that Moore had been showing him to imply that he was a lap ahead of teammate Rose, having backed off his pace to cruise to the win. Thus, on lap 193, Holland simply waved Rose by, believing that his elder teammate was simply unlapping himself, unaware the move would ultimately be for the race win... As Holland would have to take solace in being the race’s runner-up...

Very interesting side about Indy racing !

Hans

• Bert Van Waes

Yeah, nice find Hans! wow. :)

I downloaded the skin pack and already gasped at some off the cars there. awesome work Stu.
I just realised that i'm signed up to the RBR club event (memorial race for 2 off the best ones ever) here on RD, and at the same time this is going down here for the RDHGP, and i'm thinking if i will make it. Although the test is important and a nice meeting before the league, i'm still guessing how to solve it.

So there's a possibility i won't make it, here or on the RBR event. We'll see, i guess.

Greets

• Bert Van Waes

I'm in it now, but i've seem to have forgotten were to put the setups, downloaded here at RD?

Wich folder is it, lol?
Nevermind, figured it ou again :D

Please note - Wednesday evening (14th Oct) 23.00 Ldn Time is the last time I will be accepting or processing ANY sign-ups or users in GPCOS before the Testing Event.

I will not even consider looking at anyone's application on Thursday, so I can prepare for the testing myself and not get caught up in a barrage of PM's with 5 minutes to go to event start, so if you aren't ready by Wednesday, you'll have to miss the event I'm afraid, and I'll process your sign-up & GPCOS etc from Friday 16th onwards.
OK chaps - that's your lot. So I can just enjoy an event like a real person, I'm done with the Admin until Friday.

Anyone not signed up & GPCOS-ed up will now miss the event, and I'll process their application and sign up from Friday onwards.

Can't say you weren't informed.

See you all @ Ricard tomorrow evening.

Having read your briefing Stuart I went into a bit of Snetterton 64 practice with a huge amount of trepidation regarding THAT bridge.

First lap around, having heeded your advice and being tentative, I thought "it's not as bad as that Stupot makes out".........

Yep, second time around, full-blooded and committed I slammed into it horribly. And the third and the fourth......

:D

That's exactly why it's so dangerous - the difference between getting through it well, and not getting through it at all, are not a million miles apart.

It loves grabbing a driver by the hubris and shoving it down your cake hole.

Ah yes!! I've tested the foundations of that bridge many times, and I can confirm that no matter how many times you hit it, it doesn't weaken the strength of the foundations.
And once you learn how to "respect" it, you are praying that the guy on your tail doesn't try a "miracle" lunge to pass through there.

GPCOS Update

Done (29)

Ulli Haus
David Cuthill
Krzysztof Babij
Warren Dawes
Gary Lennon
Peter Gog
Steven Palmer
Sam J Simpson
Piotr Misiorek
Tom Wilson
Bert Van Waes
Stuart Thomson
Carlos Diaz
Nigel Atkins
Matt Crouch
Roman Kruszchewski
Ben Tusting
Predrag Drobac
Kris Leeten
Amir Margalit
Ryan Callan
Peter Duivelaar
Knut Omdal Tveito
Ivo Simons
Jari Vinnari
Leszek Porzezinski
Arkadiusz Kotarski
Hans Sneep
Jay Adgie

Not Done (3)

Simon Bacon
Stuart Neal
ummagumma (waiting on full RC application).

{Anyone else getting that feeling that were on the cusp of something very big and very special here?}

Well, I'm biased. :act-up:

Knowing some of you herberts who are driving, I'm already accepting that I'm not going to trouble the scorers very often, if at all, but that doesn't actually matter too much, tbh.

The variety of track, the disparity of the vehicles, the limited setup potential, the complete lack of downforce, the gentlemen racers ethic... it's sim-racing unplugged :D.

Get your base set up, select, short middle or long gears, drop in the petrol, and you're done. :good:

I just - honestly - think GTL and it's cars are naturally conducive to the best racing experience out there - mostly because of the simplicity, rather than despite it.

Haha i like that i don't have to figure out how much wing is the best. I always choose wrong. But i don't gonna have that problem with these cars. :D
I only need to practice the braking even when i blip the throttle it will i brakes out often. :)

Edit: Higher coast does the trick. :)

• Bert Van Waes

You're not biased Stu (well, maybe a bit). This is a fact for me too. The first RDHGP for me was the previous one. And honestly, it was a blast through the past... This one will be the same again, i know it!

And Ivo, yep :). I use heel/toe downshifting with H-pattern on my G25 and the BMW is a whole other world then the ferrari of last season. I have to let the revs go down much more now with the CSL. It was a whole other world in the ferrari. And this is one of those things i love in GTL. The big difference in the cars. The clutch on the ferrari was much more loose too, now i need to be really carefull braking and downshifting in the corners. The clutch needs to be pressed just for the throttle blip. With the F i had a fault marge, but now almost none. I like that :)

Indeed, that's what coast is for. :)

And i bet in the test with the BMW's the ones complaining about sudden oversteer etc, had to low coast settings, or were driving it not fully manual.

I'm in for sure now, signed out RBR event and ready to meet you all once again. For a new preseason checkout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%