RDHGP S4 - Race 5 - Mugello, Italy - 14/01/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome to Round 5 of the RDHGP S4

Welcome back to the 2009 RDHGP S4, and the first event after the mid season break – Happy New Year to you all. Zolder was another contrast to the previous tracks, and again, an overall successful event. There was obviously extensive discussion of track cutting rules and regulations, and because of an Incident Report, 2 drivers had times penalties levied against them. I hope that these were the last penalties I have to levy due to cutting this season.

The 2 drivers involved have been informed well ahead of this announcement and to be fair, the cutting was more like trying to sneak the odd fraction here and there to close gaps, and while this still breaks the rules, it’s less of an offence (IMO) than the alternative of deliberately cutting in close proximity to take or retain position, which I personally take more seriously due to the potential for accidents.

I also hope that, despite some of the rumblings and intimations I heard after Zolder, we don’t get too many people thinking seriously about dropping out of the League if they think that they haven’t picked the fastest car, or their car has been too unruly up until this point. I deliberately took a slight gamble in the scheduling by stacking the first half of the season with some of the more technical circuits, hoping that people in the less nimble cars would be able to focus on where their cars might shine, ie in the second half.

Three out of the next 4 circuits will suit some of the “other” cars better, where they can make the best of their attributes. To this end, I hope that people continue to soldier on, especially with our Le Mans grand finale on the horizon.

Anyway, looking upwards, ever upwards, we are still in Europe for Round 5, moving from Belgium to Italy, and the Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello.
mugello.jpg

Circuit Notes

Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello is situated (perhaps unsurprisingly) in the Mugello region of Tuscany, in northern Italy. Situated just 30km from Florence, it is surrounded by the Apennine watershed, which provides a varied and imposing landscape as a backdrop.

Mugello is one of those circuits where, no matter what other challenges it can provide, its character is dominated by a single feature. Laguna Seca has the Corkscrew, Spa has Eau Rouge, Brand Hatch has Paddock, and Mugello has that enormously long, uphill, engine bursting, brake cooking, slipstream generating S/F straight. Ferrari use it as one of their F1 test tracks, and it regularly holds World SBK, Moto GP & DTM Championship events, only missing out on hosting the first A1GP race of the 2008/09 season due to delays with the car development.

It has also run the Mugello Grand Prix since 1920 utilising multiple formulas, with some famous names being victorious – Depailler, Jabouille, Daly, Palmer, Zanardi and even Alfieri Maserati in 1922.

While that straight dominates Mugello, there are enough twiddly bits to keep the power boys honest and the handling boys interested. The RDHGP’s spread of vehicles always means that we will see some unexpected cars behaving above the form book.

After that long straight, with no doubt some cars seeing some rev limiter action, we enter the uphill braking zone for T1R, San Donato. This is the tightest and slowest corner on the track, but as you will find, ‘tight’ and ‘slow’ are all relative. Let’s just say that San Donato is no La Source. I expect this to be a favourite and classic “late brake up the inside” overtaking spot.

We enter a series of Ess bends separated by medium length straights, T2L Lucco & T3R Peggio Secco are standard 90 degree corners which lead onto a straight down to the much faster T4L Materassi & T5R Borge San Lorenzo. The danger here is carrying too much speed through and into the gravel awaiting the overexuberant right footed. T6R Casanova dives down to T7L Savelli, the downhill entry making it very easy to go off and into quite a hard wall.

Coming out of Savelli we come to the climbing T8R & T9R double apex of Arrabbiata1 & Arrabbiata2. Approaching the next corner, T10R Scarperia, I hope you have been counting the corners or at least you know where you are on the track, as visually it resembles T12R very closely. The only problem with that is that both corners need completely different approaches. T10R is the first part of an Ess, with T11L Palagio forming the other part, whereas T12R (Correntaio) is actually a Hairpin.

On exit from Correntiao, you are accelerating hard through the high speed Biondetti Ess (T13aL & T13bR) and approach the wide, almost 180 degree T14L Bucine. This relatively simple corner takes on huge importance for the lap as it leads back onto that >1km long straight.

muge_lod_QEa.jpg

The Race Director has (unsurprisingly) some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

· All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are no longer deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately.

· Start / Finish Straight. This straight is incredibly long, and allows for some very fast speeds to be achieved, especially by use of slipstreaming. Because of this, all drivers should be reminded that weaving is not allowed, and that only one move is allowed from the car in front to defend your line. Weaving to deny a slipstream opportunity is also not allowed. If there are more than 2 cars in a group, the same moving rules apply to a car that is ahead of any other.

· T1R – San Donato. This is a prime overtaking spot, and so drivers should be aware of what’s around them at all times. As always, it is incumbent upon the overtaking driver to do so safely.

· T5R – Borge San Lorenzo. The exit of this corner is very tempting as it opens up onto the descending approach to Casnova under hard acceleration. It is easy to drift wide here, and so you should exercise caution as there is not a lot of grip off the track, and easy to spin.

· T13aL & T13bR – Biondetti. As this is a fast chicane, and able to be straightened easily, all cars must have 2 wheels between the white lines throughout this section. The kerbs are NOT deemed as track, therefore “2 wheels on the tarmac at all times”.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

After round 4 there was an Incident Report filed by a driver, and after investigations were carried out, 2 10-second Penalties levied, both for persistent cutting.

10 second penalties were levied upon :-

Peter Gog
Amir Margalit

As a result of those penalties, the Results for Round 4 were altered slightly, you can see the net effect in GPCOS. There are NO penalties carried forward for these drivers to Round 5, their penalty has been served.

There are no new no-show penalties pending from the Zolder event.

5 no-show penalty infractions are currently being served (races left in brackets):-

Simon Bacon (1)
Stuart Neal (1)
Arkadiusz Kotarski (2)
Lee Madden (2)
Matt Crouch (2)

This type of infraction will be carried for 4 events, after which time they will be rescinded. A further infraction will result in expulsion from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

I have extended the points distribution method down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows (double for the 200km event):

P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap (not double on 200km event)

1 point for qualifying on Pole (not double on 200km event)

Looks like i can not join tonight, every time i try to connect to the server it says " game not availible host may be running an updated or modified game" even tho ive got the track and skins installed.....:(

Very short race for me, but I had fears about the opening lap chaos. I was pushed off track in turn 2, spun around and was hit by Piotrek. No problems Piotrek, not much you could do. Unfortunately the collisioin wrecked my steering which was now at 45 deg. I tried to continue but control was almost impossible and I hit Lee, so quit before I caused any further problems for others. Very sorry Lee.
Oh well, hope you all have a good race.

S O R R Y
I'm fuorius :(.Another event i have this same problem.I don't see any cars :(.My internet connection looks fine (modem reset etc.) .I reinstall the video drivers i change everything in game setup but i cannot sloved this problem.When we race on zolder everything works fine.But i have this problem on past event on Most and tonight on Mugello :(.I thing i must change the graphic card or maybe a buy new PC.I don't know :(.Once again SORRY for mess :(.
Sorry Warrent for that hit on chicane but really i can't see you :(.

After very little practice I was happy to line up fifth on the grid. Made a noob error at Turn 1 understeering straight off and then with the 911 being so difficult in traffic in terms of throttle control I spun again at the downhill esses, while easing off. Down to last.

Got in a good rhythm, was lapping faster than the leader even through traffic. Many had problems or I was able to pass easily. Was working my way back into the big guns and a battle with Peter G. I was clearly faster, we battled for a half a lap until his errant car came across the grass into mine at the last corner. Took me an age getting out and my car was wrecked :(. Had dropped 20 seconds in this incident and with the car being very hard to drive with the damage, a couple more spins and I had to park it.

well despite all bumps and scuffs from the start I got through the grid quite well from the back until a stupid late brake on last corner put me in the soup bad.. from 14th to almost last
then in the 1st corner of lap 2 ..I got hit from behind and put in the soup once more !! I didnt catch who did it but nothing was said and nobody slowed down !!
left the race feeling quite pissed off !!

S O R R Y
I'm fuorius :(.Another event i have this same problem.I don't see any cars :(.My internet connection looks fine (modem reset etc.) .I reinstall the video drivers i change everything in game setup but i cannot sloved this problem.When we race on zolder everything works fine.But i have this problem on past event on Most and tonight on Mugello :(.I thing i must change the graphic card or maybe a buy new PC.I don't know :(.Once again SORRY for mess :(.
Sorry Warrent for that hit on chicane but really i can't see you :(.
why are taking part in event when you can't drive safely? driving around you I was always expecting the worst and I it usually happened

That was a fairly dull race for me - i started low down the order had a crap start and tried to battle through the pack on lap one. I gained a few places in the early corners as people settled in then I got caught too much kerb going into the hairpin 2 from the end. Lost it and had to wait to get going becasue of traffic, caught a whack from Hans which damaged my front splitter and gave me chronic understeer all race. I spent 90% of the laps about 5 seconds from Carlos unable to catch up, he eventually pulled away and i was all alone......

On the plus side - first RDHGP race where i wasn't lapped!!! yay

Sorry to see so many people left early on, would have liked to see the whole field get home....

I really should be happy with 4th after my results so far in this league...but i come away just more annoyed and dispondant about that bloody old 911,it very cruelly built my hopes up tonight,what should have been a gradual easy away at the front from pole turned in to spinning around or running out of track braking at T1 dropping down the order each time,it used to be funny how it would just randonmly "let go" at the back end with no hope of any kind of opposite lock correcting physics in play,but for sure its not funny any more :(.came close to doing a "Rage-Smash" in to a wall a be done with it....but then i would have missed the pleasure of nicking 4th from Jay with a peacher move at the final turn :D,,...got disturbingly close to Amir in 3rd as well...

Grats Piotr and podiums.
Big Thanks Stuart T & RD

then in the 1st corner of lap 2 ..I got hit from behind and put in the soup once more !! I didnt catch who did it but nothing was said and nobody slowed down !!
left the race feeling quite pissed off !!

It was me Lee, see my earlier report. Again, very sorry. I quit as soon as I hit you, so that's why you didn't see anyone slowing.
I wasn't overly impressed with the treatment I got into the first chicane either (two cars tried to dive inside and make it three wide into there, extremely optomistic at that spot indeed).

I am truly sorry Lee, if you check the replay you will see that I did everything I could to miss you (with a car that just wanted to keep turning left). I couldn't apologise immediately becuase I didn't know who it was until I watched my replay.

Well really not much to say. :)

Q: 17th with a PB. 2.09.500

Race:

Had a bad start and lost one place. But got it back because of the long straight. After i got some places because people where leaving. Couldn't keep up with the guys in front of me and increased the gap to Carlos and Tom. So had lonely race. So needed to stay focused and finish the race. Finished 14th.
See ya guys on the Ring. :)

I had a great race tonight. Good to be back in the league

I started at the back of the grid. For the first laps I took it easy, trying to keep track on all the cars around me! Really nice with such a big and varied grid:)

I've always found Mugello very challenging so I tried my best to keep cool and not push too hard. But I still went off the track a couple of times:D Great fun though.

Ended up 10th or 11th, which I'm very happy with.

Thanks you Stuart and RD

All I will comment on right now is qualifying:

When regular practice started, I believed at first it was quali time. Totally excited and thrilled I hit the track and began finding my rythm which was actually good cause with this rythm I entered the true qualifying :D LOL

However, during the true practice, I jumped to 10 liters of fuel and did not like it so I went back to race fuel.

Quali: Just unbelievable... I managed to get my own personal best using racing fuel :D and it was over a second faster than before (2:06.040 ?) I was like WOOOOOWWW and really enjoyed the ride putting me P-8.

Thanks to this track to be such a technical course... Mugello, I learned so much from you LOL hehhe

Thank you Stuart and RD for another nice event although I am sad as well that so many people had to leave once again!

BTW, Stuart what happened ??? You were like 100 meters in front of me, approaching the last turn and drove off into the gravel. After that, you CHATTED: THANK YOU and left!?

As far as I remember, there was only I near you, but it's impossible that I could've caused u to drift off cause I was still too far away!?

Ulli, nothing you did, I got a virus checker minimise to desktop problem (I installed a new version and the setting for updates was set wrong - doh!). The "thank you" was me trying every button on my wheel, because the impact due to minimising stalled my engine, and I couldn't get it going again.

Nothing more sinister than my own incompetence :D

well when I earlier sneaked into amir's server and saw times they were setting I had to revise my exceptions for that event. I though that I was setting good enough times but it looked like 911 have some advantage over 906 at this track

Q: I set my PB at 2.05.1 but it was good enough only for P4

R: I had good start slotting behind Gary before T1, then some nervous corners with Peter behind but luckily I could calm down when Peter spun. Next it was time to follow Gary and wait for his spin :tongue: but he surprised me by not spinning and instead going straight at T1 at lap 3 I think. I was so surprised that I was considering folliwing him into the gravel but managed to stay on track. Then I was leading the race with amir in the safe distance so I was driving without too much risk and checking every lap progress made by Peter which was very impressive but gap after his spin was big enough to allow my again lucky win.

It was good result for me considering I was clearly not fast enough. But I need more miracles like today to maintain my position in standings for the rest of races :)

See you next round

Q. Put down a 2.07.6 which was my best time so far giving me a 14th position.

Race.
In that first magical lap I jumped to a 9th position chasing Jari & Steven in my tail. In lap 3 I gained another 3-4 spots, again all due to mistakes from others. Then I found a pretty steady pace with Jay around pushing me to laptimes around 2.06.2 ... 1,5 seconds faster then my Q... thanks ;)
Unfortunately it couldn't last and in lap 10 the downfall began. The first attack from Peter D. was stopped in the gravel in T1 when he overshot the corner, but his second attempt 2 laps later was more successful. I tried to counter by diving on the inside on the next turn, but overshot the apex and lost place to Jay as well:
Mugello (2).jpg
Then my first big spin and immediately I get punished by David who couldn't avoid my car in the middle of the road: Sorry!
Mugello2 (2).jpg
Eventually the number and size of my errors was increasing drastic and even in the final lap I had to give back 2 spots to Ulli & Knut after I thanked Hans for letting me pass and I shifted to 1st instead of 3rd gear.

Great race, thanks Stuart & RD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back