RDHGP S4 - Race 1 - Albert Park Melbourne, 29/10/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome to the Race Department Historic Grand Prix Season 4 (RDHGP S4)

The RDHGP League staff welcome you to the 2009 RDHGP S4. Some of you we welcome for the first time in this league, while to some we bid a welcome return.

We have moved up a class from last year’s GTC65s, and are using a selected field of 9 cars conforming to the FIA GTC-TC-76 specifications & regulations. The season will run over 8 races, 7 races over a distance of 100km, plus the season finale over a distance of 200km on the world famous Circuit de la Sarthe at Le Mans in its 1977 configuration.

The 100km races will be run on alternating Thursdays commencing 29th October 09, with the season finale running on Saturday 20th February 10. There will be a Christmas and New Year break after round 4 on 10th December 09, with round 5 on 14th January 10.

This season, we continue with our policy of travelling the globe to some of the world’s finest circuits, keeping to a strict one race per country policy. We will be driving in 8 countries across 3 continents, all with hopefully a unique challenge to present to our drivers, and so allow the extremely varied vehicles to shine as the circumstances allow.

While by its very nature, the League environment is more competitive than the Club environment, please remember what makes the GTL Club so unique – our consideration for all other competitors at all times. Let’s try and carry this tradition of clean, fun and considerate racing over into a League environment. It worked well last season, and I will be demanding the same level of sportsmanship and courtesy this season. I would expect people to wait for someone they have taken off, even if it was accidental. In addition, if anyone has a problem with another driver, I will be just as hard on the person with the grievance if they do not adhere to the guidelines.

As with last season, discussions about laptimes - even if it is to say what has been achieved with an uploaded setup - is forbidden. Turning up last season and seeing roughly who you would be battling against only added to the anticipation, so we will keep this rule in place for S4.

melbourne.jpg

Circuit Notes

Australia’s Albert Park was re-opened for racing in 1996, the makeover including a complete resurfacing, making it one of the smoothest tracks on the calendar. It is an ideal opening venue, as it is fast, relatively simple to learn, without any overly difficult or awkward corners. The downside to that is that you may have to wait for mistakes to allow a clean overtake – and I expect all overtakes to be as clean as possible.

In our 76 cars, we will not be troubling Michael Schumacher’s track record of 1.24.125, set in his 2004 Ferrari, and maybe Stirling Moss’s original circuit record of 1.50.000, set in 1958 in a Cooper Climax, is still outside our scope of performance, but I expect some very fast, close racing, with the relative car performance differences on various parts of the track making the gaps very much a variable to give some interesting challenges and battles.

For some this is the first RDHGP event, as they missed the Testing event, and so I would hope that they use the Practice session to the maximum to assess the difference in braking points and acceleration performance across the field. I won’t be too impressed at people wiping out swathes of competitors because they under- or over-estimated their own cars braking performance, or the cars around them.

melb_lod_u4d.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-
  • The Start / Finish straight is wide, with scope for manouever, and a relatively long run down to T1R. This, coupled with the disparity in car performance off the line, may mean that this is seen by some people as a good opportunity to make some cheap places. I would hope that we are all calm enough to realise that you can only lose a race in the first corner, and not win it. I will not be posing a non-overtake rule there, but people who charge in recklessly and ruin other people’s races will be penalised – whether there is an incident report filed or not.

• T1R, T3R & T11R are guarded on the outside by gravel traps, and so drivers recovering the tracks will need to be aware and vigilant of race traffic.

• T10R is the second half of a set of fast Esses – two wheels within the white lines on exit at all times.

• The Pitlane Entrance is on the outside of the penultimate turn, and people may choose to pit for damage repair, so all drivers should keep 2 wheels within the white lines unless pitting.
Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

As this is round 1 there are no outstanding Incidents, Investigations nor Penalties.
Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

I have extended the points distribution method down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

OK - here's the warning - if you have any questions regarding GPCOS or tonight's race, or whatever - LET ME KNOW BEFORE 17.00GMT.

Once I get home tonight, the only Adminny thing I'll be doing is to reset the server to start of Practice @ 20.00GMT sharp. I will be informing you when I'm about to do it, but I will NOT be waiting for people to finish the lap they are on.

I want to enjoy the League the same as any other (albeit slower) driver, so please - ask me the boring / mundane stuff now, so I can concentrate fully on trying not to come last this evening.

• Bert Van Waes

Indeed Ivo.

I would like to say this too, but the BMW tends to have some ballet pirhouets if i want to drift it. :)

Luckily Sam has a setup for this slider.

You know what - I think that various things will conspire to make these races close right up and down the grid.

I am not going to win anything - which is fine - but I reckon (like last year) I'll have some proper battles all season with people where we are nip and tuck in the points, and it's those battles I'm looking forward to.

Last year it was Kris & Bert & Steven & Jay iirc. and those battles were spectacularly good fun. I think it might be a slightly different cast this season, but I expect more of the same.

• Bert Van Waes

That was so cool on that season Stu! True!

That's actually what was so overwhelming for me on the first RD league here last season. The fact you had the same battles over and over on different races really puts it in a more fun and realistic window. I remember indeed Jari, you and Amir, David, Peter at the end... Already great memories!

Btw, Please help me remind to maintain my reports, so the memories from this season will be stored properly, because last season only did 3, 4 major reports... And now lagging memorie from those i didn't do!:pig:

To those of you able to get on the server nice and early - please make sure you don't let the sessions roll around to "Race" or others will not be able to join you.

Please make sure you keep it on Practice or at least Quali by voting as and when needed.

To all people joining the server, please bear in mind that sometimes you will be invisible to people who are on track until they return to their garage.

I jsut had the worst day of work ever, everything seemed to go wrong adn I was totally snowed under with work, but remembering tonight made if fly by. I also drove home in my fastest time...probably the only quick time i'll do today.

So happy with a 3rd row start and and good enough get away,maybe lost a place or 2 early but going ok until the big chicane and on cold tyres i went madly spinny backwards then pointing the right way and going again i think in 9th?,ended up getting under the back of red and white Porsche but backed off to let him get recovered,the problem was he nudged the back of a black car ahead who ended up very sideways...sorry to both and i have no idea who it was :(,from there i settled after a few laps until another spin off,and then just gradually downhill from there onwards,various spins until a big one late in the race that should have killed the car but just left it totally wrecked and almost impossible to drive,pitted to fix the puncture and finished the last 2 laps in 17th,about all i deserved really.

Gratso Peter and podiums and well done everybody :good:.
Many Thanks Thommo & RD

Could someone upload the replay please, or is the server replay going to be? Mine decided to only record my car and no-one else's, despite being able to hear them!

I'll write my report after I've watched that and after my wrists recover :(

One word sums that race up for me.............hopeless..........

Practive was OK, put a few average laps in, but qualy was a nightmare, couldn't get one good lap withoug spinning. I was OK with that however, i thought I could follow people round at the back and pick up places as people fell off.

Boy was I wrong..........

T1 was a bit of a shambles for all, I managed to scrape though and picked up a few places, which pleased me for about 5 seconds, until I tried to go round the outside of a 911 into turn 3. This could have gone better to be honest, i ended up in the gravel and had to scamble back on the track into a lot of traffic.

Inevitabily, in my eagerness to make up some positions after my off, I made a move so ambitious it beggers belief...... whoever I span out at T5, I'm so very very sorry.

So after a couple more gravel trap moments on lap 1, i was way down in 19th and most of my car was spread about the track. No downforce and a wonky wheel made braking a total joke.....

Anyhoo, i set off in hot pursuit of the pack in my ruined car, and put in a few good laps. for a while it seemed to be going well, but then I managed to bin it yet again. This did bring about a really good battle with the Harmon Karden BMW however, good racing was had by all. Even if trying to fight for position did make it hard to let the leaders through.

In the end, i think i was 19th??? Hopeless performance by me, but reagardless of the result - i still had an awesome evening. To say that I didn't even have PC a week ago, I was jsut glad to be on the grid. Next time, i will practice a lot more......

So, congats to Peter and the other Podium finishers, great driving. Apologies to anyone I upset, blocked, punted off etc. Apologies also to BMW for making their car look so bad.

Finally, to Stuart, I must say thank you. The effort you have put into the preparation for tonight is above and beyond, you are a legend. Thank you.

Qual:
I managed together very good lap, setting my PB which was good enough for pole
Race:
bad luck at T1 already unfortunately, Ryan forced me to the gravel, I lost all the momentum which resulted with losing many places and concentration for few laps so I make some stupid mistakes also. But instead of this it was good race with many respectable fights but I must admit my result is totally disappointing.

WD Peter

Mixed feelings. :)

Qualli was not that good but i never drive good quallifications. 16th was the result.

Race:

Really like the Vette of the line. Got 7 places at the start, that was awesome. :D
After that i had Ulli behind me then something happened in the Ascari corner. Ulli and i overtook Gary. Then we entered the Ascari i gave Ulli some room and he gave me also some room. But suddenly he smashed into me (i think because somebody tapped him). So i spun and was dead last. Was quit pissed at the moment because a good result was maybe possible. Because it's very hard to overtake the Vette wich Krzysztof experienced later on :D. That was a nice battle but he was to fast. Overall a very lonely race for me.
Finished 15th.

Don't know what happened in the first lap, but i need to check the replay.

Gents - please remember the rules about discussing & assigning blame for accidents & incidents in these threads...

I know it's frustrating in the moment, but in the greater scheme of things, it doesn't really matter that much.

well my 1st race went a bit like this :

practice an qually was a blur with pre race (****ting my self ) nurves..
which followed me onto the grid.. after pulling my stick a split second to early (gear stick).. I feckin false started so I pull to the left and let people go.. coming to T1 there was a lot of smoke and then a porsche was looking at me then slam...it hit me coming back on track which would of been worse but as I had a stop an go I didnt let it bother me to much.
After my S/G I spend a good few laps on my own... than I spotted a BMW
and that was it the focus turned on and made back some ground.. had a couple of spins but 1st race nurves I think and I cought up again I managed to pick up 5 places and some great fights with the BMW's bert and carlos I thinks ?? then a late brake to try take a place put me in the sand had to start again.. had a great last lap with carlos tho !!! WOW fantastic stuff and Im please to say I had a great time and didnt bump a single car...and i hope all the front runners that past me had good clear path through !!
great race and well done to the winners :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back