RD GT Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod-Edit: Let's stop the accusations of other drivers here, the reports have been sent and the stewards will look into it.

ANY other posts of this kind will be removed as well if it happens again.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Matheus Machado @Flammenjc I really don't care what's happening under the hood of AC while we are driving on kerbs or tarmac. I was only saying that it is faster way when you use kerbs. It doesn't matter whether it slows you or not in that exact moment if the end result is faster lap time.

I was only answered to Jake who said it makes you slower if you use kerbs.

I was only answered to Jake who said it makes you slower if you use kerbs.
That's why I said in most cases using the kerbs outside of the white lines is faster. I wanted to point out that the kerbs might slow you down in a straight line because of the game physics.

My opinion about the laptime gain will be clear once the penalties come out.

That video Jake showed us was made in September when the 650S was still OP and we were in tyre model v7 which is about 1,5 seconds faster than the current v10. So there's really no comparison. Also RSR doesn't allow going over the white lines so that's probably why he didn't.

At Red Bull Ring you can gain time by going over the white lines between turns 4 and 5 on the outside, cutting turn 6, going wide on the outside between turns 7 and 8, cutting the inside of turn 8 and going wide at turn 8 exit. Turn 1 is actually slower when you go wide because of the "slow asphalt". So plenty of places you can gain time on. And braking on the kerbs isn't because it help me stop faster, it's to get a wider entry into the next corner. Kerbs have less grip so the braking distances actually grow if you brake on them.

At Spa there are even more points where you can gain huge amounts of time. There's also the "slow asphalt" again on the outside of turn 15 or at the entry to Blanchimont but in most places around the track it's just regular asphalt or astroturf or whatever.

This was just such a very nice and close race, generally there's no need to question anything that seriously. Beside some incidents of course.That's my general opinion.
Everyone who might've cutted would have saved tons of more time by just making less mistakes for example, or by whathever. So everyone would have get to the finish in the very same positions anyway, leaving the curbs out or not out of their racing line.
That mentioned curbs maybe sometimes saved just half a tenth or s.th., if not being a disadvatage anyway cause of being almost a 'slow asphalt' as well. So beside it was "easier" to drive (knowing I might use a curb on exit as well) this way, no real issue. :)

I may agree on the curb pre the last turn* (already spoke about that one earlier), but for almost all the rest of the stuff on this track it's minor (clean lap still faster). *When you actually can't brake properly on the curb -as the pre poster said-, because it takes more distance - than even there it's not an advantage. Though a better line through the next (last) corner then, ok.. .

Last edited:
This was just such a very nice and close race, generally there's no need to question anything that seriously. Beside some incidents of course.That's my general opinion.
Everyone who might've cutted would have saved tons of more time by just making less mistakes for example, or by whathever. So everyone would have get to the finish in the very same positions anyway, leaving the curbs out or not out of their racing line.
That mentioned curbs maybe sometimes saved just half a tenth or s.th., if not being a disadvatage anyway cause of being almost a 'slow asphalt' as well. So beside it was "easier" to drive (knowing I might use a curb on exit as well) this way, no real issue. :)

I may agree on the curb pre the last turn* (already spoke about that one earlier), but for almost all the rest of the stuff on this track it's minor (clean lap still faster). *When you actually can't brake properly on the curb -as the pre poster said-, because it takes more distance - than even there it's not an advantage. Though a better line through the next (last) corner then, ok.. .
It might not work with every car but at least with the Audi going wide is usually faster as you can carry slightly more speed on exit. I think there needs to be these clear and strict rules on track limits because it could easily get out of hand if the track limits are not enforced properly.

Agree (car dependend), I tried it recently (an hour ago) on the last corner -by using much of the Rindt-curb before- entering it. With my car and setup it does not work at all, I was going sideways through the apex of the last turn always (much time loss) :) and then gave up after a few tries. Car was bottoming out there also.
Braking and/or turning in -while on a straight line curb- for the next corner works only randomly as well (tested on an other part of the track before the first left hander), too less and l/r unbalanced grip ('ice-sliding').

The straight line curb before the Rindt corner can work though, faster entering of the corner possible. But maybe too fast for exiting it well enough then (not tested this enough).

Last edited:
At Red Bull Ring you can gain time by going over the white lines between turns 4 and 5 on the outside, cutting turn 6, going wide on the outside between turns 7 and 8, cutting the inside of turn 8 and going wide at turn 8 exit. Turn 1 is actually slower when you go wide because of the "slow asphalt". So plenty of places you can gain time on. And braking on the kerbs isn't because it help me stop faster, it's to get a wider entry into the next corner. Kerbs have less grip so the braking distances actually grow if you brake on them.
You gain nothing by cutting T6, absolutely nothing, your drive up the hill is destroyed when you do this as it slows your acceleration and given that it's going uphill it's only exaggerated.

I did some testing though, and I seems I did underestimate the run-off between turn 7 and 8 [the second to last and last corner] so I will hold my hands up and take responsibility for being wrong on that one. But as for the other things you said, I just cannot agree. Generally when you use lower ABS setting and you brake on the kerbs here at RBR you shorten your braking distance, sure on full ABS it probably makes it longer because the car is bouncing the wheel over the kerb instead of a constant contact. But without abs the brake pressure applied is equal to the other side, instead of ABS reducing brake pressure to stop the wheel locking even when its above the ground.

Either way, seems like beating a dead horse to continue this discussion. If you wanna slow yourself down by using the kerbs, fine, I'm not gonna stop you, hell I'll even encourage you, it will help me to close the gap even more. :p

Now anyone got any FPS tips for AC? I'm not exactly in favour of running dx9 or a really low res, but if it's all I can do then I'll do it.

You gain nothing by cutting T6, absolutely nothing, your drive up the hill is destroyed when you do this as it slows your acceleration and given that it's going uphill it's only exaggerated.

You need to be really accurate to stay on the red part with your right side tyres. If you do that you can get on the power earlier from turn 5 and that gains time. I've tried it myself. Maybe it doesn't work with every car but it works with the Audi and 488 GT3 cars. If you drop off the red part, you will lose traction momentarily and that slows you down.

As for fps tips, turning reflection settings down will help a lot. Also some 3rd party apps can cause frame drops or freezes

1) Read the rules
2) Notice there's nothing there in the rules that says you can't do that
3) Apologize to me

I was talking about myself, obviously.

Damn, i just went and checked, i have to stop doing it from next race on!

"6.6 Pitstops
Whenever the pitlane is open, drivers may enter to make a pitstop. This usually is the case, however sometimes during a full-course yellow it is not. The game will always announce this.
In the pitlane drivers have to keep to the maximum pitlane speed. They are advised to use the pit limiter if it is available on the car. Penalties received through speeding in the pitlane cannot and will not be revoked. When the pitlane ends the driver is back on the track. He may then speed up as he likes."

"6.6 Pitstops
Whenever the pitlane is open, drivers may enter to make a pitstop. This usually is the case, however sometimes during a full-course yellow it is not. The game will always announce this.
In the pitlane drivers have to keep to the maximum pitlane speed. They are advised to use the pit limiter if it is available on the car. Penalties received through speeding in the pitlane cannot and will not be revoked. When the pitlane ends the driver is back on the track. He may then speed up as he likes."
So you've been doing it since round 1?

"6.6 Pitstops
Here implies the game and only the game will penalize you.

As with any other sim the game itself manages a pitlane speeding penalty if it's enabled in the settings [which it always is for RD races when its possible] in AC it's impossible to get a pit-lane penalty anyway as no such system exists, since the game slows you automatically in reletively good time and since every other game RD manage they never amend personal pit-lane speeding penalties post-race and so why should anyone receive a penalty?

You can read the rules here and see no mention of it being different for AC. There is also no mention of taking liberties with an automatic limiter system being disallowed. It also does not say anywhere in the rules that the admins are capable of giving a post-race penalty for pitlane speeding infringments.

They should add a special appendage for games that don't have the ability to put on a pit limiter manually if they wish to keep people at the correct speed from entry line to exit line in the pitlane within AC. Though it only adds more work for the admins to check this anyway.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if the mods have been looking at pit entry speeds because I don't remember seeing anyone being penalised for it.
Yes, I've checked the Monza and Red Bull Ring replays. There was no problems with Monza, but there will be penalties for Red Bull Ring.

All the other tracks the game made sure to slow the car down enough before the actual Pit lane started.

All the other tracks the game made sure to slow the car down enough before the actual Pit lane started.
So you're going to penalize people for poor game coding design? Come on, be fair. Make a rule stated and enforce it from onwards. You know it as well as I, it's not in the rules clearly enough to be unequivocal in regards to AC. There is nothing stated in the rules that if a speeding penalty will be applied post race if the admins deem it to be necessary.

It's not in the rules to penalize someone for pitlane speeding post race as it stands. If you want to make it a rule you'll have to do what the FIA did to Verstappen in F1 for example and allow a free-pass as to not unfairly penalize people who didn't break a rule because at the time they [broke it] it didn't exist.

For the record, I'd be thinking the exact same thing even if I wasn't involved in the championship so the fact I have a personal investment in this particular rule is actually irrelevant to my position on this.

As in all sport, if someone finds a loop-hole, you have to concede to them in that instance and you can't penalize them for it as it wouldn't be fair, but afterwards you can close the loop hole and remove any possibility for them to do it again. And don't hold it against those who find a loop-hole, because it is those people who improve the rules for the benefit of everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not penalizing someone for poor in game code, even the contrary, as I didn't check the replay in the tracks that the slow down zone starts even before the line which indicates the pitlane start, therefore if someone was able to keep the car under control they could go as fast as they wanted, because the game forced them to go into the required speed when needed.

The rules say that drivers have to keep the maximum pitlane speed, and the sentence you highlighted that follows it implies the penalties won't be revoked, it doesn't say anything about which way the rules will be enforced. I've reminded that specific rule when I sent a pre-race PM to the drivers on rounds 1-3 (including team managers), I wasn't able to send it to rounds 4-5, but it doesn't mean the rule ceased to exist because I didn't make a friendly reminder.

Just see that the majority of the field slowed down as expected when entering the pits, don't try to make up an exception where there isn't one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back