Is there any viable cheaper alternative DD wheelbase on the market that doesn't require you to spend 1500+ euros for wheelbase + wheel? I'd definitely make the move but the price gap with my current equipment (T500RS) is really steep. I hope somebody like Thrustmaster or Logitech finally decides to make DD mainstream. Is there any possibility?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find some leading review channels a bit dry and robotic, not much emotion or sense of excitement from them. In this, we could see what it meant for you to finally get to properly try one out. That was well conveyed in the intro and I had to laugh at your humor at some of the cutaways relating to people's comments or how serious they get with sim aspects.

You did an excellent job, sorry you liked the wheel, sorry it has to go back and sorry you get aggro for sharing with us something you are passionate about and enjoy.
Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it. I put so much effort in to that video and it really did come from a place of passion.

I'll check on the warranty question you asked.

Upvote 0
I think the simracing community can be a bit harsh, don't take it too hard - it was a nice and refreshing review.

I bought the DD2 over a year ago and the main reason to go for the Fanatec one was that I had multiple wheels for my CSW 2.5. That decision has surely saved me some money, as otherwise I'd have multiple Cube Controls or other expensive wheels now! I guess I've been lucky with my wheelbase too as I've had no issues at all. Yes, the driver situation is laughable, but if you just follow the instruction and read the release notes everything kind of works.

I still think it's the coolest looking wheelbase out there!-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be nice to know whether the wheelbase comes with the QR? If not, how much? I guess you don't get a rim? Anything else that a non - Fanatec owner would need?

EDIT: Thanks for all the kind replies. My point though, was that for all the glossiness of the video (and it is seriously glossy and polished to mirror finish IMO), and for all the emotion that it conveys, I found it a bit lacking in information and.... well, balance tbh.

Here's hoping that we can all look forward to enthusiastic reviews of some other popular brands of DD wheel. I think it's important that any impartial review should be seen to be impartial. Just my personal feelings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm an average sim racer, not someone who knows all the ins and outs of all the technical stuff. This was my honest view on the product. I'm coming from a CSL Elite to a DD2, I think it's fair to say I am going to be impressed.
That was what I got from the video, aside from a little humor.
I missed in the video (if there) that it was after only 2 weeks;
DD2 has been out long enough that remaining bugs should be rarely noted.
Fanatec should appreciate the message that
their currently belted users can expect to enjoy (except for cost) this upgrade.

Reduced volume on the final sound effects would have been nicer...

Upvote 0
Really??? I hadn't picked up on that...

Every iRacing release article, every Dirt Rally 2.0 article, every...

Hell why qualify it! We don't need stinkin' filters!

I got your sarcasm, but the situation is a bit sad at the moment. I participate on forums for my other hobbies and the fighting and aggressiveness in the topics is not the same there. I don't know what makes it like this in simracing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are plenty of opinions about viability, e.g.:
.. and more, if you search on those names.

Agree with this. Plenty of other options just as good for much less money out there. I bought a Sim-Plicity SW10 base a couple of years ago for £600, an OMP style wheel from ebay for £40 and made my own button plate with an Arduino micro clone for about £15. All in that's not much more than a CSL Elite costs.

DD wheels are a game changer IMO in terms of fidelity and immersion. I doubt they they're ever going to be cheap, but they can be had for far less money than the Fanatec Podium.

Upvote 0
Have had my dd2 since june 19 and apart from a failed PSU its been flawless.
The driver issues have been well documented but im really pleased with the latest drivers and extra tuning options. I haven't tried the main competitors but watch alot of comparison vids which say the fanatec is not far off in feel and maybe only to the very obsessed ffb tuners out there. I also see that many reviews of the competitors wheel basses are done in ' i renting ' which makes me think how good that competitors wheel base is in other titles.
End of the day nothing is perfect and there are fors and against for both wether thats cost , software, known faults which they all have so main thing is to enjoy what you have and grow the hobby.

Upvote 0
If spending so much money on a DD wheel I would never go for commercial brands like TM - Logitech or Fanatec!
Did not know Thrustmaster or Logitech made DD wheels :rolleyes:, but that's OKKK just spend more money on something above Fanatec (basically PNP) (Others still have issues/setup too ... at least, according to my friend with a Leo Bodnar and Simcube) not to mention how inexpensive the USB Wheels are :cry:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not have a DD2, nor a DD1, I have a Buhler modified CSR Elite, I have had that wheel for many years, I do not think a DD wheel, of any brand, is a requirement to enjoy the current state of FFB in any SIM or Racing game, so changing my wheel, as long as it is not broken, is very, very low on my to do list.
I hope Fanatec sales a ton of those, as I like Fanatec brand and products.
There is so much more to SIM racing than FFB, but for anyone who as fallen in love with FFB, I guess DD is the ultimate tool to consume their passion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a CSW 2.5 for a few years and now a DD1 and never had any issues with either wheel base, pedals, shifter, handbrake or wheels from Fanatec. Everything has always works perfectly. I thought it was a good review, and if you watch alot of SRG reviews they are generally very positive as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have had my dd2 since june 19 and apart from a failed PSU its been flawless.
The driver issues have been well documented but im really pleased with the latest drivers and extra tuning options. I haven't tried the main competitors but watch alot of comparison vids which say the fanatec is not far off in feel and maybe only to the very obsessed ffb tuners out there. I also see that many reviews of the competitors wheel basses are done in ' i renting ' which makes me think how good that competitors wheel base is in other titles.
End of the day nothing is perfect and there are fors and against for both wether thats cost , software, known faults which they all have so main thing is to enjoy what you have and grow the hobby.
Looks from the video that the review was done on driver v328 which is old .

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%