RaceDepartment recently had the opportunity to test out the Next Level Racing GT Track, and here are our thoughts on the flagship cockpit from the Australian hardware manufacturer.
  • Next Level Racing GT Track modular cockpit design.
  • Suitable for direct drive wheels.
  • Adjustable and expandable to include motion.

Sim racing cockpits, just like the people who sit inside them, come in all different shapes and sizes nowadays, making trying to find the ideal solution for you ever more difficult when navigating through the many available choices within the marketplace today.

Next Level Racing GT Track | More Details: Click Here.

In a time when new brands are seemingly popping up on a daily basis, Australia's Next Level Racing remain firmly towards the top of the tree in terms of both output and popularity. Founded in 2009, the following years have seen the company carve out a solid reputation within the sim racing landscape, leaving us excited to try out the Next Level Racing GT Track - a cockpit the developers consider to be their premium sim racing offering.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Designed for professional and serious sim racers.
  • Pre-drilled for major brands.
  • Adjustable on seat, wheel deck and pedal deck.
  • Suitable for direct drive wheels and professional pedals.
  • Expandable to include the NLR Motion Platform V3 and Traction Plus Platform.
  • Features gear shift and handbrake support, Buttkicker adapter, racing harness, lockable wheels and feet.
Next Level Racing GT Track Review 1.jpg

Retailing for around £699 including both the seat and the tools required to fully build the cockpit, with the additional option of purchasing a range of accessories and even expanding the rig to motion capabilities further down the line, the GT Track is certainly a very solid choice for anyone looking to future proof their purchase for the foreseeable future.

During our test we used the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedal set on the cockpit and experienced almost zero flex. As can be seen in the video review at the top of this article, Mike over at Simracing604 has an Accuforce Direct Drive wheel and Heusinkveld Sim Pedals sprint attached to the cockpit without any concerns for putting the rig under undue stress or flex. As sim racing peripherals continue to evolve, rigidity is something that more and more sim racers are looking for in their cockpit choices, often leading to a switch down the aluminium profile route, however from Mike's comments and my own time within the rig, I'm highly confident the ability to withstand high forces from top end sim racing hardware won't be a problem for this cockpit.

Next Level Racing GT Track Review 2.jpg

In terms of compatibility, we were pleased to find the cockpit already comes pre-drilled for a number of popular hardware brands straight out of the box. With support for Fanatec, Thrustmaster and Logitech to name but a few already immediately able to bolt onto the cockpit, we also really liked the touch by Next Level Racing to include mounting options for tactile immersion, with Buttkicker mounting brackets included in the design via a neat adapter than can be placed wherever feels most appropriate to the user - as someone that very briefly dabbled with and quickly gave up on mounting Buttkickers to my own cockpit, I think this aspect of the product will be very well-received by the sim racing community.

Next Level Racing GT Track | Purchase HERE.

Another nice touch that is worth mentioning in this review is the inclusion of lockable caster wheels that can be screwed into the rig in place of standard static feet (both options included in the box). Weighing in at around XXXX including the seat, having caster wheels is a great option to allow gamers to easily move the cockpit around, but still have the ability to lock the wheels in place to produce a firm and solid base when stationary - a feature often overlooked by other brands and something that can, depending on one's requirements, really go a long way to making ownership of this particular rig much more user-friendly.

Forever a sceptic on these things, I paid particular attention to how firmly the rig would stay in place with the wheels in a locked position, and I can safely report that even on a wooden floor the cockpit didn't show any undue signs of potential slippage from the wheels - as such, I cannot foresee any issues with this design for users who wish to have the option of easily repositioning their rigs going forward.

Motion_v3_feature-1.png

Next Level Racing Motion | More Information HERE.

To move away from the cockpit itself for a moment, another point worth noting is that Next Level Racing have designed the GT Track to allow owners the opportunity to add motion to their rig further down the line. Supporting the addition of the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 and Traction Plus platforms, the cockpit can easily accommodate the addition of these modules without the need to perform any additional adjustments to the rig itself - making this an ideal option for sim racers who are interested in upgrading to a motion platform style solution in future, but don't have the desire to build and install their own aftermarket solution and tweak the cockpit to accommodate these new bits.

Of course, this option only applies to Next Level Racing branded motion systems, so you are locked into that particular brand and style, but the design decision very much fits into the ethos of 'straight out the box' that is so prominent with this hardware - removing the need to spend time working out how to make everything work, allowing owners to simply get in and start enjoying their new gear.

AT 6 foot 5 tall I often find myself looking for space within, well, within anything really, so size is another aspect of the rig that I was keen to check out for myself as overall the floor space needed for this cockpit is similar to my Sim-Lab P1 aluminium profile rig, but without the benefits of personalization that comes with aluminium setups. Although the rig has been configured for my colleague, so wasn't perfectly tailored to my own preferences, I was delighted to find that space was certainly no issues at all, with plenty of room between my legs and the wheel deck, ample space on the seat, and a wide range of adjustability options across the board - from seat, wheel deck, pedals, I'm certain I could very easily get this rig to fit my requirements without any significant work required.

Next Level GT Track Review 6.jpg

On the downside, and this is very much nitpicking rather than a serious negative, because the rig isn't aluminium profile it will naturally have less opportunity to really go to town with customization like I have become accustomed to with my own personal setup. This means that one will need to own a separate free-standing monitor stand (and the extra space this uses), and adding things like button boxes / wind simulators / other accessories will at best require third party mounting solutions, and at worst will require you to purchase the (admittedly wide range) of Next Level Racing accessories. As I say, not a negative as such, and it kind of ties into the whole plug and play philosophy of the rig, which will be seen as a firm advantage by some quarters of the sim racing community, but certainly worth mentioning in this text.

For a more detailed look at the Next Level Racing GT Track, check out the review from Barry at the SIm Racing Garage YouTube channel, HERE.

In summary, the Next Level Racing GT Track cockpit is a very well put together and robust piece of sim racing hardware, that offers a nice range of functionality and adjustability without ever quite reaching the highs of aluminium profile developed options. That said, while a perfectly sensible choice for someone looking to take their sim racing up a level, one very significant advantage held by the NLR GT Track is the plug and play expandability to incorporate motion solutions from Next Level Racing, ideal for sim racers who may wish to further expand their experience in future, but who don't necessarily have the skills / experience or desire to follow the DIY route of other options.

Overall, very nice and a more than solid option regardless of the hardware you plug onto the rig.

For more hardware reviews and general sim racing goodies, head over to the RaceDepartment YouTube channel today (don't forget to like and subscribe!)

Next Level Racing GT Track Review 4.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

dave kirk

250RPM
Nov 8, 2016
I had the F1-GT at £399 and that was disappointing and required replacement parts as the G1 was poor in places, this definitely does not look worth £699, especially with much better options on the market

Jan Larsen

500RPM
Premium
Sep 20, 2009
Tbh, while I always like new hardware, this just dosent look good. The whole thing looks like something out of China and something we've seen before. The seating position looks arkward and uncomfortable and for what is essentially a bit of tubing its very expensive.

Could be wrong though.

Des Pearce

250RPM
Premium
Jan 17, 2014
It looks less sturdy than the GT Omega Titan which is nearly £300 cheaper at the moment. That has no flex with my heavy diy load cell pedals and accuforce pro on it.

the wheel deck being on raisable arms looks flimsy and reminds me of a cockpit sold a few years ago, they were not strong enough for a clubsport base never mind dd wheel.

Last edited:

Jan Larsen

500RPM
Premium
Sep 20, 2009
Yeah, the arms look exactly like their wheel stand and the near identical Apex wheel stand from GT Omega. That means you're paying near 500 bucks extra for the seat and some extra tubing.
I had the GT omega wheel stand and while its not technically the same as the next level one, its damn close. Even with a featherlite G27 it still wobbled away nicely. It was a terrible piece of kit really and ended up in the local recycling station.

GJDriessen

50RPM
Jul 4, 2020
Your legs look quite flexed/bend. Is this your preferred position? I am looking for an upgrade and I am quite tall as well.

BillyBobSenna

250RPM
Premium
Dec 30, 2010
I have owned a GT Track for about 8 months. As you can see from the photos I use a Fanatec DD1 base along with Fanatec pedals, shifter, and hand brake. In addition, I use triple 32" displays connected to Sim-Lab support. Overall, I am very happy with the rig. Would I rather have a P1-X, absolutely. Does the GT Track still provide good bang for the buck, I think so.

Pros
  • Good value
  • Built like a tank
  • Seat is very comfortable and adjustable (I am 79kg and 1.8m tall)
  • All controls feel very stable to me
  • Very easy to roll in and out of position
  • I like the belts, adds to the simulation for me
  • Looks nice and purposeful
Cons
  • Mounting plate for wheel does not tilt up. The trailing edge can only be horizontal or tilting down.
  • Overall a don't think it is as adjustable and flexible as a P1-X type rig
The GT Track checks enough boxes that it would really be hard for me to justify upgrading to a P1-X. I have never used another rig so all I can do is watch YouTube videos and compare to what I have.

IMG_8888.jpg
IMG_8881.jpg
IMG_8886.jpg

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Your legs look quite flexed/bend. Is this your preferred position? I am looking for an upgrade and I am quite tall as well.
It has all the room you need for straight legs
I am 6 feet and do not have to adjust the seat or pedal deck to its extremes
I use the pedal deck at about 30 degrees ( guess) so CSP pedals are at 90 degrees
Like I said my only gripe is they went from too wide a seat with the GT to a tiny bit too narrow with this one

Reactions: dwightyone

Jason Pladoh

50RPM
May 9, 2020
Even the Logo is a GT omega Clone, I don't object to introductory rigs, but at least be innovative. I wonder if the price tag is double because everything in OZ is expensive by default.

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
699 pounds is 1230 AU :roflmao:

They are 1,100 AU + free shipping
Shipping for 60KG would be $100 !
So really 1,000 and a further $80 off at Christmas so $920 :coffee:

Last edited:

dwightyone

100RPM
Jun 28, 2017
I own this - it's solid and nothing like GT Omega stuff. I also have their Triple Screen stand for it and that's solid. It also doesn't look like tesco warehouse shelving either * joking :D * But the seat..... it's very comfy but once again they've skimped on the material and the faux leather is micro thin and can rip easily. My seat has got a tiny tear from God knows what but something must have rubbed against it and not very harshly either I only had it for 2 weeks or it was there all along and I didn't notice it...

Hey Next Level any chance of a freebie replacement. I also own the Next Level GT Ultimate and the seat on that is shocking bad also - had to buy a Sparco seat to replace the same day, it was that flimsy.

Last edited:

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
GT Ultimate 34KG ( delivered )
GT Track 60KG( delivered )

No issue with fabric tearing still looks as good after 7 months
I use the big bubble bag to cover the entire bucket when not on use ....cat won't go near it :x3:

The only issue I found is the width of the seat
As you can clearly see in the first picture even with a skinny butt Paul is filling the seat

Last edited:
Reactions: dwightyone

dwightyone

100RPM
Jun 28, 2017
When I first looked at the seat in the flesh I thought teeny weeny bit narrow but my fat butt feels comfy in it - its very comfy tbh. My other rig has Sparco r100 seat and that looks narrow but I have a friend who has a larger butt than me and he fits in it fine, but after racing for an hour in that I can't stand straight for a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durge Driven

Dave Thayer

250RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
I need to get other hardware items for SIM racing before diving into getting a dedicated SIM racing Rig. Looks cool though.