I’m sure this wheel will be very popular.

Couple of points.

I’m assuming the button caps pop off? If you don’t have an Xbox. Looks like they do.

Would be nice if the clutch paddles were metal too rather than plastic. Although maybe some mod group could 3D print some metal ones in the future. That would be cool.

The throttle and brake feature is a great idea for those that may be disabled or unable to use pedals comfortably.

Upvote 0
Good to have it back, i love my v1. Especially great because it features the analogue paddles which makes this a great option for those who can't use pedals for some reason.

Key changes from a visual perspective has to be the addition of a useful if somewhat small LCD in the middle of the rim, designed to help easily identify different modes engaged,
This isnt quite correct: The LCD is on the V1 as well, although it is blue, while the new one is white

Upvote 0
I’m sure this wheel will be very popular.

Couple of points.

I’m assuming the button caps pop off? If you don’t have an Xbox. Looks like they do.

Would be nice if the clutch paddles were metal too rather than plastic. Although maybe some mod group could 3D print some metal ones in the future. That would be cool.

The throttle and brake feature is a great idea for those that may be disabled or unable to use pedals comfortably.
Yeah the button caps are removable.

Will be interesting to see if someone creates a metal mod. I would upgrade those.

Upvote 0
Looks like a great wheel. For $300 with the high torque attachment, it seems like a reasonable price. How much more would the new BMW wheel cost? Another $300? I love the size and formfactor of these wheels.

Upvote 0
Looks like a great wheel. For $300 with the high torque attachment, it seems like a reasonable price. How much more would the new BMW wheel cost? Another $300? I love the size and formfactor of these wheels.
Yeah it's going to be around there I suspect. They haven't given any indication on the price but being that it can be used in the real car I'd expect it to be top end.

Upvote 0
I know that these companies like to have users locked into their eco systems...but why....oh why didn't they just add a USB port to the back of the wheel so that the rest of us could also enjoy it?

Or did I just answer my own question?
;)

Not that they'll have any problem, but Fanatec would sell a ton more of these wheels if it just had this one additional feature out of the box.

Upvote 0
But is it stiffer otherwise, mainly is it now sound-free? One thing which has kept me away from my v1-version is that I simply can't stand those plasticky cracks and knircs which it makes while driving. Just normally keeping grip on handles makes faint gritting sounds, and I really, really hate that.

Upvote 0
It's back, it's better than ever and it still looks outstanding on any sim rig - the Fanatec CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 sim racing steering wheel is here.
  • 2nd generation McLaren sim wheel.
  • Retails around 199.99 EU.
  • Compatible with Fanatec wheelbase ecosystem.

I think it would be fair to say the original McLaren GT3 replica sim racing wheel from Fanatec was pretty well-received by the sim racing community, with drivers enjoying both the replica design of the real world car wheel, the functionality and the (relatively) reasonable price of purchase.

View attachment 428932

The passage of time would see a few issues crop up with the V1 design however, with some gamers pointing to a tendency to wear poorly over continued use, and the usual complaints about a less than robust shifting feeling when compared to something like the Podium wheel range alternatives.

Apparently Fanatec have been listening, and in recent days made the surprise announcement that a brand new V2 issue of this admittedly beautiful looking rim is on the way, with pre-orders already open ahead of a February 2021 provisional shipping date.

Fanatec CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 Wheel | More Details: Click HERE

Improved in practically every area of the original design, but retaining the scale replica features of the original real world rim, the new V2 McLaren wheel can be considered a very worthy successor to its older brother, finally adding robustness to what was already an impressive looking piece of hardware.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Scale replica of the real world McLaren GT3 rim.
  • Compatible on both console and PC.
  • Works with Fanatec CSL Elite and CSW v2 and Podium DD wheelbase with optional adaptor.
  • Redesigned electronics over the original version.
  • New magnetic shifters and duel clutch paddle system.
  • Special multi-functional analogue paddle modes.
View attachment 428930

While branded up as the CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2, don't be fooled into thinking this wheel is purely for the entry level wheelbase in the Fanatec range. Although the rim comes as standard with the 'tool free' quick release system that is compatible with the CSL wheelbase, owners can purchase the additional ClubSport Quick Release Adapter for an additional 99.95 EUROS, unlocking the high torque mode that allows the wheel to become compatible for both the Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 wheelbase, and the top tier DD1 and DD2 Direct Drive offering from the manufacturer.

View attachment 428936

Fanatec CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 Wheel | Purchase HERE

One of the most noticeable, and frankly most important aspects of the V2 wheel is the work Fanatec have put into improving both the feel and the functionality of the shifter mechanism within the design. Initially the first version felt a little "plastic" for want of a better word, and Fanatec appear to have addressed this issue with a new honeycomb design reinforced anodised aluminium single piece construction, with the added benefit of long throw magnetic shifting, very similar in design and feel to what players have become used to with the Podium Clubsport range of hardware.

As well as the actual materials used, Fanatec have also included a wide range of new functionality with the shifters on this latest rim. Throw into the pot a duel clutch mechanism for good measure, and players now have the ability to choose between four switchable modes of function, adding a fantastic clutch bite point feature for helping get a good launch from standing starts, a clutch and handbrake mode, a curious and quite nice option to program the paddles to act as brake and throttle rather than using the pedals, and a mappable axis mode for further customisation.

View attachment 428935

Another interesting aspect to this is the decision to form the shifters from a single piece of material on a rocker mechanism, which allows drivers the opportunity to shift up and down gears on the same side should you so choose, again opening up an option that doesn't appear too regularly with other wheel rim and button box designs currently within the marketplace today.

Fanatec | More Products: Click HERE

Material and construction wise, the V2 of this wheel is broadly rather similar to the original design, so shifters aside current owners of the V1 McLaren wheel should feel right at home once they bolt the new hardware onto their rigs at home.

View attachment 428931

Plenty of work has gone in behind the scenes to improve the electronics of the device, but from a visual point of view the McLaren V2 rim shares many characteristics of its older brother, although Fanatec have taken the opportunity to make some small adjustments and tweaks to the ergonomics and visuals of the rim.

Key changes from a visual perspective has to be the addition of a useful if somewhat small LCD in the middle of the rim, designed to help easily identify different modes engaged, plus nicely refreshed and updated rotary switches and of course the return of replaceable and customisation friendly button caps - something of a feature within the Fanatec range of wheel rims.

Retailing initially at 199,95 EUROS for the pre-order, this is a very, very nice piece of hardware at a more than reasonably price point. Anyone who likes officially licenced wheel rims and is part of the Fanatec ecosystem will undoubtedly find themselves plenty pleased with this surprise new release.

View attachment 428929

For a more detailed look at the CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 wheel, check out the review from Ermin Hamidovic, HERE.

In summary, Fanatec seem to be stealing something of a march on the competition when it comes to officially licenced sim racing steering wheels, with this new rim coming hot off the heels of the recent big budget BMW GT3 wheel that the German brand announced not only for sim racing, but also to be used in the real GT3 car.

Of course, the CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 is certainly not in the same range of quality or price point as its BMW cousin, and to me that's very much a good thing, as Fanatec firmly look to place this wheel within the financial realities of a much wider range of sim drivers than some of their higher end products within the Fanatec family.

Improved significantly over the original wheel design, and with the welcome addition of a much more robust and satisfying shifter mechanism, it is surely going to prove difficult for Fanatec ecosystem owners to look past this rim when looking to add that touch of flair to their sim racing setup.

For more hardware reviews and general sim racing goodies, head over to the RaceDepartment YouTube channel today (don't forget to like and subscribe!)

View attachment 428934
Hello, this wheel is FANTASTIC...

Upvote 0
Well I have seen videos of flex !@!

:laugh:

Attachments

• TROLLS.jpg
    TROLLS.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Although the rim comes as standard with the 'tool free' quick release system that is compatible with the CSL wheelbase, owners can purchase the additional ClubSport Quick Release Adapter for an additional 99.95 EUROS, unlocking the high torque mode that allows the wheel to become compatible for both the Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 wheelbase, and the top tier DD1 and DD2 Direct Drive offering from the manufacturer.

does not it already competible with csw 2.5?
is there any high torque mode in csw 2.5?

Upvote 0
Nice wheel! If I had a Fanatec base I would definately consider it....or wait...the upcoming BMW rim would also be nice....:whistling:...if I only had a Fanatec wheel base.....

Quality video as always Steve. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Hmmm, I think you're gonna be way out. It's a carbon fibre construction wheel with racing grade hardware (to some extent)

Being podium range I reckon around £700-£800 (about $1000).

The other podium wheels so far have been mainly metal with some carbon fibre, etc. I think the construction will bump up the price considerably. Fingers crossed I'm wrong! haha.

Upvote 0
Great review, mate!

Glad Fanatec made the effort and got this rim fixed, if they hadn't pulled it like 1 week before I ordered my first items this would have been my first choice, went Formula V2 instead - so no regrets here.

Cheers from Berlin, keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%