RD Review | SimLab Owner? Check Out The Apex Sim Racing SimLab P1 Dash Pods

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We recently got our hands on the little Apex Sim Racing SimLab P1 Dash Pod button box, and let me tell you, if you own a SimLab cockpit, you really need to check these out.

If you've ever wondered what the holes on either side of your SimLab dashboard mount are for, or how you could fill them with something other than cable management solutions, then you are in luck - the good people at Apex Sim Racing have designed a rather awesome Dash Pod button box that fit perfectly within those gaps - adding an immense addition to an already exceptional sim racing cockpit.

When is a button box more than a button box? When it's been designed in a really cool way to fit a need you didn't know you had. That's exactly what Apex Sim Racing have done with the P1 Dash Pods - they've created not only a very nice looking and well put together piece of hardware, but they've done so in such a smart way that it quite frankly makes having a SimLab P1 rig and not using these button boxes a thing of madness.

Apex Sim Racing SimLab P1 Dash Pods | Unboxing Video | Click Here.

Apex Pods 1.jpg

The boxes themselves are fitted directly into the dashboard holes either side of your steering wheel mount, and are held in place by the brackets supplied with the pods. They come with a nice carbon finish on the front, and are connected by a rj45 connector that replaces the previous 7 pin connector on earlier models. Also new is the change to billet aluminium for the brake bias knob, which gives off a very solid and welcoming feel at an easy arms reach from the steering wheel.

The dash pods absolutely look the business, and starting from £115 are a nice addition to any SimLab 80/20 Aluminium profile racing rig.

Find out more about the Apex Sim Racing SimLab P1 Dash Pods | Click Here.

For more hardware tips and advice, be sure to check out the Hardware sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome and knowledgeable community.

Apex Pods 3.jpg

Last edited:
APEX makes a great product. Glad he's getting some exposure here. Great product and great guy!
I agree with the quality 100% but seems a tad expensive for me was looking a few months back at the Direct Drive Dashboards, where as say DSP is under 300$ - SRH is around 340$ but Apex is over 450$ personally just fail to see where that extra money is going, the DSP Dashboard around 30 buttons the Apex Dashboard around 18 so there is 12 less buttons at 33%+ more cost, personally makes no sense but the quality does look good non the less and the reviews are all nice.

Upvote 0
Well I've well and truly screwed up the audio sync on this video by doing the rookiest of rookie mistakes - last minute change after I'd watched and tested the video, then didn't recheck as assumed it was all fine. That's... annoying to say the least and my apologies for the lousy audio / visual syncing issue. Kinda bummed about it as the video took hours to make, and the product is really, really good so wanted to do it justice with a nice quality recording. Irritating, but another lesson learnt on my video making journey.

Regarding price, of course it is all relative, but I will say this, this quality of the materials, the finish of the build and the actual practical application of being able to install it in the existing space within the dash mount.. all these combined make for an exceptional product in my humble opinion. I'm highly impressed with it without a doubt, and going from someone who wasn't aware of Apex before this, I'm now very much a fan if the other products within the range match this quality.

Super sweet design and finish.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I agree with the quality 100% but seems a tad expensive for me was looking a few months back at the Direct Drive Dashboards, where as say DSP is under 300$ - SRH is around 340$ but Apex is over 450$ personally just fail to see where that extra money is going, the DSP Dashboard around 30 buttons the Apex Dashboard around 18 so there is 12 less buttons at 33%+ more cost, personally makes no sense but the quality does look good non the less and the reviews are all nice.
You mean DSD as Derek Speare Designs (derekspearedesigns dot com) , their boxes indeed offer much more for the money, spare fancy design fitting cutouts on P1X, which looks like the main selling feature of that button box.

Upvote 0
Subjective I guess. I couldn't get my money to them quick enough. Super clean look with the mounting, real carbon fiber, 2 connected boxes, ect. I also bought a box from a vendor I see tossed around on YouTube and forums that is terrible imo. Flimsy box, carbon sticker, cheap feeling switches, switches that don't face right, and it was 160 shipped. I will gladly take less buttons for better quality.

Upvote 0
Subjective I guess. I couldn't get my money to them quick enough. Super clean look with the mounting, real carbon fiber, 2 connected boxes, ect. I also bought a box from a vendor I see tossed around on YouTube and forums that is terrible imo. Flimsy box, carbon sticker, cheap feeling switches, switches that don't face right, and it was 160 shipped. I will gladly take less buttons for better quality.
So basically quality over quantity is the key here ?
I still fail to see why your saying DSD and SRH are subpar quality id like to hear more about your theories if you have the time to explain to us. ?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry wasn't referring to either of those companies and I'm sure they are quality as well. Simracing4U was the box I wasn't happy with. It really comes down to where these boxes are located. It doesn't add anything extra hanging off an already busy rig. Super clean look for someone OCD like myself.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry wasn't referring to either of those companies and I'm sure they are quality as well. Simracing4U was the box I wasn't happy with. It really comes down to where these boxes are located. It doesn't add anything extra hanging off an already busy rig. Super clean look for someone OCD like myself.
Yes its something I have on my list a dashboard,
highly contemplating simply making my own CAD design and just send it to a professional high quality 3D printers its basically a USB control board and some switches inside a monkey could wire it up,
I do think looking the Apex design is the best visually pleasing design to be 100% honest with the visuals also they use good quality switches as well so maybe its justified in the higher price.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing