RD MINI Challenge 2020

What a great championship @Bram Hengeveld! Really looking forward to next year :thumbsup:

I think it took me like 4 races, but I finally started to get some kind of grasp on how to drive a FWD car properly. I spent the first three races deeply confused about the FWD-specific aspects of weight transfer and grip, but I think I'm finally starting to get some idea of how to control the car over the course of a whole race.

This win and 2nd in the championship is a great result from my perspective, I'm chuffed. Hopefully next year I'll be more consistently strong with more experience (and more tips from @Benutzername :coffee::coffee::coffee:).

Thanks to @Erik Axelsson, @Benutzername, and @Neilski for the continued battles throughout the 4 weeks! I'll miss Fridays with you folks, but hope to see you around in other events :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Definitely had lots of fun with all the battles throughout the 4 races especially between @Goffik and @PicoBp. These cars definitely reinforced the value of "smooth is fast" and surprisingly I placed much higher than I thought I would going into this. @Chris Down I need to pick your brain one day (or any of the guys out front) on how you do what you do, even in cars you're not comfortable in (imagine if he was comfortable!).

Thanks @Bram Hengeveld for organising the event, looking forward to this again next year

Smooth is fast indeed - which makes me wonder, how I was fast. I have an absolute terrible driving style, @Chris Down probably noticed that. Steering way too quickly and harsh, stlmping on brakes and the gas pedal. Always destroys my tyres, too.

Luckily, this wasnt as much of a problem in these cars.

-

This (literally) Mini series has been fun, great competition in each race from Ross, Chris and Erik. Shame I couldnt compete in Spa, had a demanding race at the Deutschlandring in a GT40. Bwoah.

Smooth is fast indeed - which makes me wonder, how I was fast. I have an absolute terrible driving style, @Chris Down probably noticed that. Steering way too quickly and harsh, stlmping on brakes and the gas pedal. Always destroys my tyres, too.

Luckily, this wasnt as much of a problem in these cars.

-

This (literally) Mini series has been fun, great competition in each race from Ross, Chris and Erik. Shame I couldnt compete in Spa, had a demanding race at the Deutschlandring in a GT40. Bwoah.

It's only terrible if it doesn't work :p By comparison, I've conditioned myself for way too long with the 650s GT3 to drive very smoothly, and really found it hard to break out of that. It took me until race 4 to un-learn some of that, since being really harsh with the wheel is the only way to take Eau Rouge/Radillon flat out legally, so it kind of forces you to rethink your driving style.

This series taught me I still have a lot of work to do improving:
  • My adaptability
  • My understanding of on-throttle FWD behaviour
  • My understanding of FWD setup (seriously, I find it so hard to feel differences in setup with this car)
Massive respect to everyone who stuck with the series, this car is certainly not as easy as it seems :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's only terrible if it doesn't work :p
So true, and @Benutzername was clearly making it work very well indeed :)
It took me until race 4 to un-learn some of that
...and you also clearly did a damn good job!
being really harsh with the wheel is the only way to take Eau Rouge/Radillon flat out legally
Ah yes indeed - I watched the replay and discovered that quite a few people were indeed taking the damn thing flat - that probably explains the first few tenths of my very large time deficit. (Having said that, I'm not sure I saw anyone taking it flat while staying within the white lines ;):p)
seriously, I find it so hard to feel differences in setup with this car
Yeah, seems to be a universal experience with this car. I tried a couple of dramatically different setups at Spa (after more extensive playing at previous tracks) and it made almost no difference to the lap times. Other than brake balance (and perhaps max braking), gearbox and fuel, you might as well ignore the rest of the tuning :D

It's only terrible if it doesn't work :p By comparison, I've conditioned myself for way too long with the 650s GT3 to drive very smoothly, and really found it hard to break out of that. It took me until race 4 to un-learn some of that, since being really harsh with the wheel is the only way to take Eau Rouge/Radillon flat out legally, so it kind of forces you to rethink your driving style.

Ahh so that's how you did it, I kept watching your replay wondering how you carried so much speed through that corner. Also, now that the series is over, did you use all long gear ratios at Spa? seemed like 1 or 2 might have been the shorter version, but I could be wrong.

It's been a pleasure to take part in the MINI Challenge, thanks @Bram Hengeveld for organizing! I had tons of good battles with many of you! :) I'd be happy do it again, maybe in AMS2 next year?

Again, congrats @Benutzername who pretty much dominated and to @Chris Down, amazing performace aswell :thumbsup: And to everyone else who finished the series!

Definitely gonna take a closer look at the RSS Formula Americas car. I might join that championship aswell if it fits my weekly schedule!

Ah yes indeed - I watched the replay and discovered that quite a few people were indeed taking the damn thing flat - that probably explains the first few tenths of my very large time deficit. (Having said that, I'm not sure I saw anyone taking it flat while staying within the white lines ;):p)

I was lifting and still ended up going over the lines on more than a few occasions lol

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%