RD GP Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being my first league I've taken part in I can say that everything was as awesome as I thought it would be and then some. Super pro organisation :thumbsup: Thanks to all involved.

I can't criticize anything, everything was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Longer races are something I'm really keen for, but we need longer replays from AC first.
You've done a top job Chris :thumbsup:

Long races would be cool. Another idea could be like some races may be enduros but some may be two sprint races instead? ie. one week a 20 lap race every other week or so has 2x 10 lap races or possibly shorter? Just throwing around a couple of ideas.

one week a 20 lap race every other week or so has 2x 10 lap races or possibly shorter?

Limitations to that is the server has to be reset for each race and grip configured etc which can be done if i'm around but otherwise limited.

As far as the season went it was a lot of fun although a bit nerve racking at times and Chris did an amazing job and I could listen to David's sexy voice all night long:) unfortunately the biggest issue at the moment with AC is lag and I cant see that being fixed in the near future.

I do really enjoy the competitive side but I would personally just caution RD to be careful to get the mix of realism and fun right. I know just how noel feels and I felt that way after SPA,In fact if you asked me last week I was seriously thinking about not racing in the next league but Monza snapped me out of that depression, I would like to see something like if you get taken out through no fault of your own in the first lap of a race I see no issue with escaping to pits, you gain nothing but at least you get to race, I know its not like real life but in real life I would be paid lots and get laid lots if I were a real F1 driver, all I have at RD is the enjoyment of the race so try not to take that away. Even a lower damage model would at least give drivers the ability to continue driving when damaged. just my thoughts and I have no issues if people think i'm completely wrong, that's what throwing ideas around is all about.

As far as the season went it was a lot of fun although a bit nerve racking at times
For me personally, the nerve racking aspect was as a result of the car being very difficult to drive at 100% for a full race distance of 80km for every corner, every lap.

Because the car is so sensitive to curbs, the front brakes easily lock and finding the limit of grip is not easy, it made the races very nervous for me. I know getting nervous before a competitive event is nothing out of the ordinary (believe me, I've been playing competitive sport all my life), but it's the knowing that one slip up, and your race is over.

In future, if we were to run a GT league (which will likely be the official RDGT league), then the nerves are not as high because the races are very long, the cars are easier to drive because you'll be driving for 3 hours comfortably at 2 seconds off your normal pace, so the environment is more relaxed.

Sprint races make things ultra tense. They're extremely exciting to watch as a spectator but as a driver it's very nerve racking.

However, I disagree with the notion of making leagues more "fun friendly". The leagues aren't really run with fun in mind, and if you have fun along the way then yes an added bonus. But the main focus for league racing is realism, and I don't think that should ever change. I see your point about real drivers being paid to drive and us not, but it's more to do with the psychological aspect where, for example, if you smash into a wall hard, the you shouldn't be able to continue because your car is wrecked.

Keep the feedback coming guys, love it.

Seeing as you are aiming for ultra realism, with the addition of graining then a formation lap might be needed to build heat and save Akis having to make his gamble. It would let you learn who was next to you but somebody needs to work out a fair way to set the lights off. TS would disadvantage the Euro by up to 300ms.
Note Formula Master does not have graing yet

Well I can only concur with all the glowing reviews of our league and Chris' efforts to make it feel like something special. It really was a treat.
I know from personal experience how disappointing an issue can be whether it is technical (hello Casper!!!) or driver related but as Chris pointed out I think the added tension of the league added to the 'event' which it became each fortnight.
We still have our club races with the more relaxed atmosphere. I certainly take Tony's point though as the whole thing is about fun and enjoyment. Certainly a very difficult balance to find. Perhaps an esc to the pits for an innocent victim and then double penalties for any issue they create after returning to track?? Pretty tough call isn't it?? Whose to decide if they were an innocent victim etc etc??
Either way I loved being a part of it and thank all of the participants for the spirit in which we took part. Also I think the recap video for the last two rounds is an absolute winner. Well done Dave and Chris on that initiative.
The whole bloody thing has been great fun. Looking forward to getting better in the future.
Thanks again to all.

Maybe if there is enough to field two grids you could do a time trial at Vallelunga or something like that. Top half od the field becomes one split and the bottom half becomes another

Running two splits = running two leagues.

Won't happen because,
  • A) I don't have enough time, and
  • B) If we're lucky we'll only get ~24 sign ups (We'll need at least 40 to warrant the running of two splits).

There's still a heap of things that need to be finalised.
Sit tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back