RD Fun Contest - Best Racing Engine Ever Made (III Turn)

Contest Logo.png

There can be just one.

The previous polls (I and II turn) saw each 300 hundred people voting for their favourite engine configuration. Stunning layouts like the In-Line 4 and the V8 have won (and deservingly so). Now, however, we have come to the one everybody was waiting for. Today, everyone's favourite V10 and the legendary V12 challenge the mighty 16-cylinders. All have powered racing cars that have left a mark in history. From the not very fortunate H16, still winning though the US GP in 1966 with Jim Clark, to the Flat-12s from both Stuttgart and Maranello, which broke the bank with the likes of their Porsche 917 and Ferrari 312T, ending with the glorious V10 that turned generations of kids into F1 fans for a decade. I, for one, am not sure which one to pick this time.

poll III.png

Therefore, vote, and share in the comments a picture and a description of the car you love fitting the engine you root for. Tell us why you like it, since when and if you have any fond memories associated with it. More so, have you ever had the chance to see it in real life? Did you manage to take a picture with it? Is it virtually represented in any sims you like?

Let us know, in the comments below!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

From these three the 12 cylinder engine is the most versatile powerhouse. Wether it’s the Ferrari 512BB or McLaren F1 with it’s beasty BMW V12 powerhouse for example.

Though for example the Auto Union Typ C was a beast too with it’s 16 cylinders V engine. Or the Dodge Viper with it’s roaring V10.

This time I mention the little Ferrari V12 Columbus created in the 40's. Ferrari owes much (much) of its fame to it. What a beautiful sound! How much power in such a small size for a 12 cylinders. I think it developed until the 1990s.

V12, because (like the inline 6) it is completely mass balanced in terms of forces and moments of first and second order. I find that kind of satisfying.

Haven't read the previous posts, and i rarely post on here, but undoubtedly has to be the Audi I5, 20v, 5cyl Tuerbo as found in the S1, S1 E2, The pikes peak and IMSA Monsters.

I'm only here to listen to these beautie's run! I'm not knowledgeable enough to give an opinin......but I love the sound of those V12's and V10's! But I also have to say , listening to the raw sound of an extremely throaty V8 sounds pretty damn good as well!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 499 39.0%