RD Fun Contest - Best Racing Engine Ever Made (II Turn)

Contest Logo.png

There can be just one.

The first poll was pretty straightforward in terms of result: the 4-cylinders achieved an outstanding win with 254 total votes! After all, it was to be expected given the racing history that this particular configuration have in the motorsport, and the sheer number of cars fitting one to conquer the racetrack. The Lancia Fulvia "Fanalona", the Porsche 904, 550 and 718, the Ferrari 500 and Mondial, the Peugeot 205 T16, the Subaru Impreza 22B... This is just a small batch of examples to understand the heritage this engine configuration has when it comes to racing and racing cars.

The 2 and 3-cylinders, obtaining 16 votes each, could not really stand a chance, and that is perfectly understandable. These engines, while having powered some racing cars in the past, are most notable for the road vehicles that have usually fit them. Competing with something like the 4-cylinders was a hard battle, which indeed they fought well nonetheless. Props to them.

While thanking everyone for taking part in the first turn of this contest, let's now jump right into the second one, which promises to be rather more exciting!

contest-board.png

This time, we have a group of legends meeting on the field. If you need me to explain why these engine configurations are all iconic in the motorsport, it means you simply have no place here. At least one pick from the personal favourite racing cars list of every petrolhead in the world fits one of these, for sure. For - sure.

Therefore, vote, and share in the comments a picture and a description of the car you love fitting the engine you voted for. Tell us why you like it, since when and if you have any memories associated with it. More so, have you ever had the chance to see it in real life? Did you manage to take a picture with it? Is it virtually represented in any sims you like?

Let us know, in the comments below!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
lancia-stratos.jpg

Lancia Stratos

Why? (Ferrari) Dino V6 engine. I believe that is sufficient. Just listen to its engine note to understand why, if you still have any doubts.
Never had the pleasure to see it in real life unfortunately, thankfully it is well represented in sims and racing games. Dirt Rally is the one I drove it in the most.

I love V6!! the V-type engines (V) sit lower with an improved center of gravity, and this design is more space-efficient with a greater numbers of cylinders. So maybe 8 but 6 is the standard...well at least my Granpa's car was v6 ...

I owned a calibra V6 back in the day. Loved the power and sound.
But the V8 configuration was my favourite F1 engine after they canned the V10 which was arguably the most intense sounding F1 engine I've had the pleasure to experience.
Then there are all the V8 sports cars on the market, and let's not forget the V8 Supercars that just sounded like heaven to a petrol head.

I have to go with the DFV V8 too. Hard to beat when its the engine with most victories in the history of the F1 and it was the engine that powered the GT40 that achieved the first American victory at Lemans.

the DFV v8 certainly is excellent and maybe all time most versatile and successful engine.
it beat out all the Offy's and is defacto race engine for a long time...it's grandchild the Cosworth XFE (v8TT) would be my vote, it sounded excellent went over 1500 race miles before a rebuild and was restrained to 750 horspower.
(actually i do love offenhausers- they sound and smell great)

Porsche's flat 6 is arguably the best of the selection.
With almost 50+/- years of front line success it has a better competition record than the outstanding Cosworth V8.
It always sounds amazing. I'm prejudiced.......owning an elderly 911 does that!
;)
And a late mention. HONDA entered the non two stroke MotoGP era with a truly outstanding piece of engineering: a 1000cc V5.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing