RD Fun Contest - Best Racing Engine Ever Made (I Turn)

Contest Logo.png

New season, new contest!

After the numerous participation to the 'Summer Fun Contest - The Ugliest Car Ever Made' that saw, unsurprisingly, the Fiat Multipla win hands down, we thought it was time to get right into a new tournament, now that we are approaching the holiday season and the end of the year. Being a forum and a website dedicated to racecars, both virtual and real, what better topic than racing engines?!

This time, things will be set a bit differently. We’ll start with 4 turns: in each of them 3 engine configurations that have competed in the motorsport will battle for the win. You will choose which one will win by voting in the dedicated poll per round. The winners of every match will then later go into vote all together to determine which is de facto, according to the RD Community, the 'Best Racing Engine Ever Made'!

Here is the tournament board with the expected contenders (if you have any suggestions for a racing engine configuration that we forgot about, write it down in the comments).

Contest Board.png

Please notice that for the moment being, different layouts of the same engine (V/IL/Flat/Boxer) will be merged together. If an engine with multiple layouts will win the contest, a final poll to determine which specific one is the most loved by the community will be up for you to vote in, no worries.

Now that the rules are clear and out of the way, let's get to the interesting stuff!

Being the first turn, this time you'll get to vote which is the best between 2, 3 and 4 cylinders racing engines. Remember, only one can win and all layouts count!

Some say that less is more, so tell us which is your favourite among these little devils! You are free to post a picture alongside a small description of your preferred racecar fitting one of these engines, to show the community why you think it deserves their vote too.

Go ahead, have fun!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Single cylinders are amazingly good, my lawn mower can cut grass, how mad is that, though me quad bike doesn't do much only go from A to B & back

Where's the 1 cyl, hell; where's the 16 and 32 radials (racing Bearcats, etc.)?

Too freakin' complicated. The best automobile racing engine ever has to be the Offy 4 if it isn't the Cozzie 8, although a sentimental favorite is the screaming-banshee Novi 8. Okay, maybe the FIAT Mephistopheles A.12. Come to think: the Ferrari 312 Twelve. Oh well, never mind....
Edit: add Penske's 1000-hp pushrod Four, Moto Guzi's jewel-like V8, any Ed Pink motor (Porsche flat 6; Hemi V8), Edgar Fuhrmann's 4-cam Carrera and.... I could go on all day. (Okay, I won't.)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years