RD Fun Contest - Best Racing Engine Ever Made (I Turn)

Given it's longevity and power out put the Offenhauser was a winner.
Cosworth's FVA and BDA deserve a shout for versatility, but if a V4 were to be considered then my Aprilia RSV4 and Honda's MotoGP engine are right up there.

When I first saw the title I thought this would be about sim racing engines and said to myself "Ohh man, this is gonna get nasty"

Talking about real engines I have no clue.....whatever's in the LMP1 Porsche 919 Hybrid.

The best engines were in old f1 era such as HONDA V10, RENAULT V10, and those I prefer are V12 from Matra or Ferrari : do you remember the thrilling sound of the 1995 Ferrari 412T2 ? 700hp with only 3liters and no turbo : pure engine :)

Rocketdyne F-1 Engine. I know, I know, you might be saying "But, Howitzer, that's not a racing engine" But actually, it is a race winning engine! It won the race to the moon.

And put a drivable rover up there, so in a way, the F-1 engine propelled a car to the moon, and won the space race, thus being the most powerful race car engine ever made!

It's not precised (or havn't seen) for what vehicule is the best engine for. Only cars or do you include bikes too? in this case, it's lacks the mono-cylinder (Rotax, Ducati Supermono, various SM, MotoGP 125cc, Moto3)
Or maybe everything that race with an engine? like crazy 2 cyl. 2-strokes engines for JetSkis.
About the winning engine (you all know, the "rotary", right? ;)), do you include all numbers of cylinders variants (2,3 and 4)?

Oddly enough, even though I would consider myself a hardcore Sim Racer, I do not know anything about car makes or models / engines in general...LOL....only that this Sim Racing gig is bloody awesome.

Did you hear the story of why that engine was so good?Apparently the best engine blocks were the ones they stored outside in the rain by the fire exit door.The ones that the workers used to stand outside & piss on during breaks...

That is a very good example for the habit of peoples today ... no idea of nothing, but babbling about every topic they found.

First ... in former times it was a usual procedere to store casted parts outside for a longer time. That helps to relax the material before machining.
Second ... do not know the habit in your home country, but in Bavaria not only the workers used to go to the toilet.

Cheers

It's not precised (or havn't seen) for what vehicule is the best engine for. Only cars or do you include bikes too? in this case, it's lacks the mono-cylinder (Rotax, Ducati Supermono, various SM, MotoGP 125cc, Moto3)
Or maybe everything that race with an engine? like crazy 2 cyl. 2-strokes engines for JetSkis.
About the winning engine (you all know, the "rotary", right? ;)), do you include all numbers of cylinders variants (2,3 and 4)?

yes, it is mainly about cars that raced in the motorsport:)

yes the rotary includes all rotor variants ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years