RD Community Voted – The Ugliest Car Ever Made

No surprise there I mean c'mon it's ugly inside and outside, the designer have to have some sort of breakdown, also the top of Fiat have to be like "yea whatever put in to production, will be fine"

Brings back some bad memories...
120314044758-ferrari-nose-14-3-12-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I don't really understand this whole concept of ugly cars. Half the cars people are calling ugly look fairly attractive to me, especially the S-Cargo, but also the PT Cruiser (I know as an actual car it's rather awful, I've been in one before).

Often what I think people are seeing is cars which do not meet their platonic ideal of what a car should look like, perhaps because it looks like it was designed to be practical rather than to go fast, or because it was designed with a completely different target demographic in mind.

If a car was clearly designed to appeal to 38 year old middle class mothers of two then it should be judged as a car of that type, and not compared to a Lamborghini or whatever.

Even then, unless a car has had racial slurs or images of bodily fluids vinyl wrapped all over it, I don't really see how a car can be ugly. Some cars can be more aesthetically pleasing, certainly. An Aston Martn DB4 Zagato or a Citroen DS or a Toyota 2000GT can be appreciated as a beautiful work of art, but that doesn't mean one can't also find a utilitarian appeal to the Volvo 240 as well.

Ultimately, the Multipla is to me a bland looking vehicle elevated to a status of being somewhat interesting by its highly unusual windscreen and roofline. Cover up the car above window height and it looks shockingly reminiscent of a Chrysler Neon, and I think I prefer the Multipla to that, in all honesty.

At least the Multipla is interesting, and will likely remain so as the decades wear on, the Neon will only ever be the epitomy of 90s blandness.
The Multipla is not a bad car. It is really roomy, offers the unusual three people up front layout, its got very good visual orientation for the driver. Uses the Fiat C-platform which could even be called "sporty" on a good day.
One made it to the New Yorker MOMA exhibit.. not too many cars did that, especially not one not even on sale in the US.

The Multipla is not a bad car. It is really roomy, offers the unusual three people up front layout, its got very good visual orientation for the driver. Uses the Fiat C-platform which could even be called "sporty" on a good day.
One made it to the New Yorker MOMA exhibit.. not too many cars did that, especially not one not even on sale in the US.
It may sound great on paper, and it was probably designed by a genius but it's got an X-factor for ugliness, it's like a good intention that goes horribly wrong.

Frankly the Multipla is almost bearable compared to some of the modern stuff the automotive industry has put out. It doesn't look great but you can see that it's functional and practical. A lot of modern cars are overdesigned and not all that practical. Plus they all look the same...

No-one is saying it's a bad car ( I've been in one a few times, it's considerably better than the Kia I had to drive for a few days once ) but the design is a hideous lumpy disproportioned ... thing, which was the point of the contest.

Butt ugly. It had to be an accident or designed by a committee for the government, NOTHING could be THAT freakin' ugly on purpose.

That thing is so damned ugly it makes my old eyes water.

Paint the Multipla as a taxi car and it will work, looks like a model born for this, a lot of space, great views from inside to outside, that car shouldn't be sold for all just as taxi (like London ones)

My brother in law bought a second hand Multipla like 7-8 years ago. Despite minor issues, it's still working fine, doing a lot of km annually.

I have drove it several times and i really like it. It's ugly as hell and got this award well-deserved :) but it's a fantastic car in any case.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 246 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%