Rate the Sims | FINAL RESULTS

In fairness, if PC2 had seen the amount of development time that AC did and if it had supported modding and plugins natively, it would've stood a better (= fair) chance.

As it is, my take is that the community prefers flexibility and well-understood, polished platforms with good plugin and modding support. Frankly, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

When you look at the PC2 numbers, the amount of hate-votes skews it down. If you discount them as the result of irrational hatred, the distribution looks fair enough. Also see how ACC (which is still in its infancy) fared in comparison. In two years, ACC will be a lot more polished and will score even higher.

SMS simply bit off more than they could chew in the time available and gave up too early.
I agree ... in PC2 offline mode it is more complete than AC hotlap, or rf2, ACC.
In addition to the amount of BASE cars.
as for physics ... they are not the best, nor does it pretend ...
Yes ... I was higher on the list.

• Deleted member 197115

We have seen various explanations as to why the games are ordered as they are. Is it about modability? Is it about being hardcore? Maybe its just down to price.

The top 2 games are less than £20 on Steam

Numbers 4, 5 and 6 cost between £25 and £35

Those lower than this cost between £40 and $45 (or more in the case of iRacing), with two exceptions - GT Sport is now available for under £20 (no doubt handicapped by its console status), and NASCAR Heat 4 costs £31

You can't really put a cost on RaceRoom as it varies from free to £85 for all content.
People investing thousands of dollars into their sim racing equipment and PCs race inferior sims because they are few bucks cheaper?

Last edited by a moderator:
A fascinating survey. 7642 votes is not to be sniffed at, so well done to RD and the voters.

One sim that I would like to see much higher in any future vote is NASCAR Heat 5 (if a next iteration appears). NH1-4 feel like a missed opportunity. Wouldn't it be fun to have an all-in-one NASCAR equivalent to ACC?

Wouldn't it be fun to have an all-in-one NASCAR equivalent to ACC?
Having very much enjoyed the Papyrus NASCAR titles a decade back, I can totally see where you are coming from. Today, iRacing provides just that for online gaming and with the AI rollout moving on, we can be sure AI on ovals is round the corner. Just as ACC is the official partner of SRO, so iRacing is the official partner of NASCAR. However, one has to buy into their pay scheme and I can see how people who want to run just one series are not happy with that.

My 2 current faves are 1 & 2 and I didn't get to vote for either, congrats to Kunos & Reiza and nods of respect to the fellow men of culture that voted highly for them.

Rarely do my faves in any genre get significant recognition (The Witcher 3 cleaning up GotY awards in '18 was the only other time it's happened this gen) so I'm a little surprised, especially with AMS even though it's FFB is second to none.

I think a sim still needs to still run on a modern OS for it to be valid.

Now I can only speak about GTR2 as I have it but have never been able to play it - it does a CTD on launch with Win10.

We've got you covered over in the GTR2 forums -->

I'm on win10 and it has been running just like on Win7 so far which I used up until a week or two ago.

:)

Last edited:
WRC8 should have scored lower IMO. Maybe it's the fact that most votes focused on the driving aspect and not the visuals, and completely overlooked the fact that the models are also bad, especially wheels/tyres. It's almost like the developer didn't have enough time or didn't care to model them properly, like in WRC7. KT is so sloppy.....

People investing thousands of dollars into their sim racing equipment and PCs race inferior sims because they are few bucks cheaper?

My post was largely tongue-in-cheek but people do love a bargain. And while it sounds ridiculous for someone to spend thousands on their hardware but skimp on their software, this is exactly what many do - including me. If sim racers were not price sensitive then racing sims would not be put in steam sales. But they are and player numbers always go up during a sale indicating that more people buy a game when its on sale than when it isn't.

Leaving aside the poll results, I do think price affects a sim's popularity. I honestly think part of the reason for ACs popularity in terms of sales and player numbers is its bargain price. And I also think iRacing's high price has limited its popularity.

Last edited:
The community have spoken, the polls have been counted, the votes double checked, the results verified and the results are in.... announcing your 'Rate the Sims | Community Edition' winner....

..... Assetto Corsa!

That's right, after an incredible 7642 votes across the 14 games in our poll, the winner with a resounding average score of 8.25 is the original Assetto Corsa racing simulation from Kunos Simulazioni.

"The achievements of Assetto Corsa through the years have gone far beyond the expectations we had when we first conceived the project in 2011, and it's a genuine pleasure to see that AC is still the most popular sim in the RaceDepartment community, a group of users with a keen eye for details, despite not receiving official updates for the last 2 years. Modding is definitely one of the numerous keys to the popularity of AC, even if - surprisingly? - the AC console community represents 52% of overall AC users, and they can't enjoy the additional value modding can guarantee to PC racers. So, the secret behind the success of AC has many different interpretations, but one thing is certain: without the support of simracers, AC would have never seen the light or become the Brand we know today. So let me thank you with all my heart for your outstanding support, kind words and suggestions, all of which mean a lot to all of us".

Marco Massarutto, Co-Founder and Executive Manager

1089 people voted for Assetto Corsa (1) and we've absolutely loved to read your responses and see the votes rolling in. Thank you everyone for taking part, and congratulations Kunos Simulazioni on a wonderful victory!

The community have spoken :)

Rate the Sims - Community Edition final results (average scores):

1. Assetto Corsa - 8.25
  2. Automobilista - 7.94
  3. RaceRoom Racing Experience - 7.87
  4. Wreckfest - 7.67
  5. rFactor 2 - 7.53
  6. Assetto Corsa Competizione - 7.08
  7. iRacing - 6.92
  8. DiRT Rally 2.0 - 6.77
  9. F1 2019 - 6.56
  10. WRC 8 - 6.52
  11. pCARS 2 - 6.47
  12. GT Sport - 6.08
  13. NASCAR Heat 4 - 4.78
  14. GRID - 4.35

Remember folks, this has all been for a little bit of fun - so don't get all hung up on the results - it wasn't exactly a scientific poll under controlled circumstances!

Sim racing is awesome!

You can check out the full results and comments for each sim on the links below:

View attachment 344201
Are people still using Assetto Corsa?

Are people still using Assetto Corsa?

It's my go to. I got it in EA but ignored it for years because of the lack of content. Got a TX (on a TS-XW now) and tried it again after I saw all the mods, it's like GT for PC with all the cars/tracks and custom championships I've set up.

The base is good but the mods increase replay value tenfold, hell I'm still playing Skyrim going on 8 years for the same reason.

iRacing is ridiculous expensive, no moddable and its physics are super basic compared to AMS
Most (I'd say at least 95%+) mods are bad quality anyway but mods are for different crowd anyway.
I have not played AMS so cannot compare directly but iRacing actually simulates a ton of stuff and probably way more than other sims. But I can compare iRacing to AC and for me iRacing is way higher on the ratings to the point I don't play AC (or any other title tbh) anymore. I try some new stuff (DLCs) here or there but it just feels like a waste of time

Most (I'd say at least 95%+) mods are bad quality anyway but mods are for different crowd anyway.
I have not played AMS so cannot compare directly but iRacing actually simulates a ton of stuff and probably way more than other sims. But I can compare iRacing to AC and for me iRacing is way higher on the ratings to the point I don't play AC (or any other title tbh) anymore. I try some new stuff (DLCs) here or there but it just feels like a waste of time
Totally agree. 95% of mods are bad in all games, but maybe AC is the best example, it's full of kids ripping car models from any known and unknown game with a salad of physics from vanilla cars or even other mods. And at the end of the day they ask for money "for a beer". It's funny, but there are people who want to pay, and I respect that. Anyway, conclusion, we have sims for every need, you have AMS or rf2 if you want a more hardcore experience, AC or pcars if you want 2 millions of tracks and cars with good, bad, or rare physics, and iRacing works great for online racers. You can choose and enjoy.

Last edited:
FFB and physics are related but different things. Maybe you are right about the FFB with certain hardware, but AMS physics are way more better than AC ones (always talking about official content). At least half of the cars in AC are just wrong.
And you base that on what exactly? FFS, this community.

Maybe this mindset plays a big part in why sim racing is still such a niche market, no one seems to be happy about anything.

The stats are filled with haters/fanboys anyways.

Just look at the iRacing post. I think we can all agree that iRacing is not a 10/10, but people rating iRacing a 1/10? I mean come on. Do you even know what a 1/10 title looks like?

ACC is also not a 10/10, but again, 37 votes for a 1/10? wtf

...yep.

ACC is fast becoming my goto sim ..absolutely loving it...just had an online race at zolder in a thunderstorm and it was just so damn immersive..sorry for giving it a 1/10 more like a 9 or 10 now i have my new pc...WOW

Because of the 1/10 scores it received
Not only that, many professionals poorly rate it's physics. Nicki Thiim is one of them.

Do cold tires still have more grip than up-to-temp tires in iRacing?
Is the relationship between rake and rear wing virtually non-existent in the game?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back