Rate the Sims: Community Edition | Wreckfest

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Wreckfest!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

RD Community Favourite-Wreckfest.jpg

Last edited:
I tried the various mods to revert the FFB but it’s still not what it was before the patch. Just don’t like it at all anymore, but used to love it. Maybe I need to tweak my settings so if anyone has any advice for CSL elite, Id be grateful.

First one I've given a 10. It's obviously nowhere near the sims like rf2 when it comes to being a racing sim, but it's perfect in it's own way. I'm glad they got a second burst of life this last year after what felt like an eternity of a deadend. What a great game.

There was an RD weekly wreckfest series for a bit last year. If anyone on here was organizing that, I'd love to see it rebooted.

Add real cars + weapons, and we get the upcoming SMS' fast & furious crossroads.
I'm giving this title 8. It doesn't pretend to be anything else, just being fun!
8.5 if there are guns.

Solid 10 from me.

Honestly this is a full on sim pretending to be an arcade game.

Physics wise it's as good as anything else out there and totally kills the modern so called rally sims for off road handling. Tarmac handling seems pretty much spot on for the kind of sloppy suspensions and raggedy old remoulds these cars run on.

Oh and there's damage, and lot's of it - bits of car flying everywhere. Hit a wall at 100mph and your car is barely recognisable, unlike just about every other sim where damage modelling means playing "hunt the scratch on the bumper".

There's so much much I could say, but I'll just leave it as this: It's my racing sim of 2019.

Have bought the game, and it was fun to play. Would be even better in VR. After updates, my pedals haven't worked with this game. NO SUPPORT from the developers. Uninstalled, a bit disappointing. But its a fun game when it works.

I started with Next Car Game a long time ago in the first vehicle destruction circuit and I didn't like it because the impact games are too stressful for me and I uninstalled it even though I thought it was a shame because the game had good things now and I came back with to try deeper and continues to surprise me is fun, has good physics, although I still think that I would like this game more if it were a clean competition without so much aggressiveness or destruction, it would also be great if there were Off-Road Buggy vehicles, and tracks of Dakar type with sand and mud. Of the best vehicle simulators tested for me is a remarkable 8.

I started with Next Car Game a long time ago in the first vehicle destruction circuit and I didn't like it because the impact games are too stressful for me and I uninstalled it even though I thought it was a shame because the game had good things now and I came back with to try deeper and continues to surprise me is fun, has good physics, although I still think that I would like this game more if it were a clean competition without so much aggressiveness or destruction, it would also be great if there were Off-Road Buggy vehicles, and tracks of Dakar type with sand and mud. Of the best vehicle simulators tested for me is a remarkable 8.
I think there was a workshop mod (Racefest?) which tamed the AI right down.

Edit: found it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359562653

Last edited:
This thread is so refreshingly positive, almost unreal. I wonder if it is because this game is almost unique and no one feels like they have to come in and defend their game over an other, every one feels free to appreciate it for what it is or just ignore it if it is not their cup of tea.

It still hasn't stopped 6 people giving it a 1, at the time of this post.

I'd love to know who these "Spaßbremsen" are so I can put them on my iggy list. ;)

This thread is so refreshingly positive, almost unreal. I wonder if it is because this game is almost unique and no one feels like they have to come in and defend their game over an other, every one feels free to appreciate it for what it is or just ignore it if it is not their cup of tea.
if you get a link from that mod it would be good for me thanks

9 from me, superb fun on both PC and Xbox and it's one of those rare games everyone from 7 - 70 can enjoy equally. Just the one point lost as there are still some slow car selection loading problems between games on Xbox One. All credit to the developer who continues to listen and improve things, who'd have thought a PC racing game could work just as well on the consoles - an impossibility according to some. :)

It feels like driving a banger digging in on dirt. Tarmac with big body roll angles, creaking suspension and squealing tyres it's just as good.

Getting cocky and thinking I'm winning easily before being obliterated just before the finish line has never been so much fun. The rage quitters amuse me too - getting smashed is the point of this game. It often feels like payback for all those times idiots have wrecked Forza, AC & PC2 races - they don't seem to like the boot on the other foot much!!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%