Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
This gets a nine from me.
As far as rally games go I don't honestly think any current game can be judged to be a true sim so I judge on playabllity, immersion, and tension, and I think this delivers all that in spades. Not to mention the content in this game is huge, albeit with a lot recycled from previous WRC games (but at least you don't need to pay extra for the old content).
Playing, I feel way more connected with the car in WRC8 than I do in DR2.0, and from an immersion and tension point of view I get a very good sense of how violent the sport of rally driving is, something that DR2.0 doesn't really give me.
It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but IMO it is the best rally game out of the current modern crop.
But if you we're to ask me which game I feel has the most natural off road feeling, then unfortunately I'll have to keep quiet as we haven't discussed that one yet ;)
Agree with most of you said, I also give it 9.
You can just do the "seasons" mode which doesn't have the micromanagement.
Yes, I use that ...workaround. :)

Compared to Dirt Rally 2.0 IMO:

- DR 2.0 has better sound, by a mile. But to be fair, it has probably the best sound of any racing game ever
- DR 2.0 has better FFB, while not greatest FFB in the world, still.. feels more natural, less canned effects
- DR 2.0 co-driver is better immersion wise (not necessarily accuracy? Phil Mills gives some deathwish calls). But WRC8 is ok and improves over WRC7
- DR 2.0 has VR, one of the best VR experiences :) WRC8 no VR support, and not coming :(
- WRC8 has better tarmac handling
- WRC8 has way more stages, way better stages (although mostly fictional) and no DLC scamming
- WRC8 is especially a good deal content wise, if you never played the older ones. Everything will feel new
- WRC8 jump physics feel to me a bit off? Like there was slightly less than Earth gravity
- WRC8 hardcore damage is way better (more punishing, more realistic)
- WRC8 career mode is better and more in-depth
- WRC8 has dynamic weather that works quite well, DR 2.0 has static weather, but dynamic road surface. 1-1

Give me WRC8 with VR, better FFB and sound, and there's your best rally title ever. Not that the FFB was unusable, but I just felt it had some canned stuff going on, weight transfer is felt better and more natural in Dirt Rally 2.0. Because FFB is quite big thing for me, I rate Dirt Rally 2.0 higher as a rally sim

Last edited:
2019, no gysnc support, forced to play at 60hz or 120hz.......under 120fps at 120hz, it stutters....
just for that my note : 1.....then the gunshot or splash sound recorded with a poor guy who jumps in a puddles is a no way....

KT engine = no gysnc support, it 's the worst engine in the world and always mediocre games....

I do not have this game so cant do a rating, but the youtube videos I've seen look very good. I am just waiting for the game to be available on STEAM in 2020. For now just have to read all the comments here and watch the various youtube videos that come along till then. I do have WRC7 and other Rally games.

2019, no gysnc support, forced to play at 60hz or 120hz.......under 120fps at 120hz, it stutters....
just for that my note : 1.....then the gunshot or splash sound recorded with a poor guy who jumps in a puddles is a no way....

KT engine = no gysnc support, it 's the worst engine in the world and always mediocre games....

I have none sttuter at 100fps caps. The frametime is stable.
Agree with the splash sound, the first time i thought that some tyre exploded :cautious:

Even though tarmac is an important part of rallying, the one thing that's most important in any rally game is driving on other surfaces (dirt/mud/gravel/snow).

WRC8 feels like a proper circuit racing simulator on tarmac but it really sucks on any other surface. It's a little bit better than it's predecessors but it still needs a LOT of work to get anywhere near DR2.0 in that department.

As for the stages being fictional or not....i couldn't care less.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back