Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite Sim - Assetto Corsa.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our first game on the list... Assetto Corsa!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

• Deleted member 197115

Undersood, everyone is rating sim in the form they use it.
I wasn't huge fan of modded content myself due to varied quality, with most inferior or inaccurate comparing to Kunos, not all though.
But CM, CSP, and SOL are such game changers that using AC without them nowadays is just wrong.
May be we need another category for AC Unlimited with above mentioned mods.

Not sure what to think of the two "disagrees". :confused:
You do not agree that I find it unfair to downvote a product for bad mods?
You do not agree that I appreciate moddability?
You do not agree that I am happy for those still enjoying AC?

I gave you a disagree because I think it's utterly stupid to not include modded content in your rating of a game that was literally made to be modded. Yeah, there are a ton of crappy mods for the game out there, but you know what? You simply don't download them! It's amazing how that system works!

Mod = good (download!)

Mod = crap (don't download!)

@Gelly916 I do not think you understood my point in the first place. But that is okay, since you just seem to have a different view on the game or what you think the game is. Calling me or my opinion utterly stupid...well...time to move on... I said it already: TGIF.

• Deleted member 197115

And the ISI/S397 content + DLCs is not vanilla content?
rFactor2 does not have included with the game installation content or DLCs in typical form.
Everything is Workshop Item mods, but yeah, some of them are from S397 themselves or blessed by studio. I believe the whole ISI idea was, we create the engine, community will fill the content.

Nevermind, there are some retards AC fanboys clicking on disagree every post they don't like.

Take it as a compliment.

Not sure what to think of the two "disagrees". :confused:
You do not agree that I find it unfair to downvote a product for bad mods?
You do not agree that I appreciate moddability?
You do not agree that I am happy for those still enjoying AC?

Sometimes just pushing the "disagree" button just doesn't cut it.
Maybe @Paul Jeffrey should deactivate comments for votings in the future?
NOW you can push the disagree button to your heart's content! TGIF. :rolleyes: :roflmao:

Poll has closed I see. I would have given it a 7. Deserves credit for a number of things

1. introducing up-to-date graphics to simracing even if it is starting to show its age now.
2. introducing scanned tracks to the masses at a very affordable price.
3. picking up the ball rF2 dropped in providing a popular mod platform
4. bringing major licenses to simracing, again at a very affordable price

I didn't give it full marks as it misses many features of other sims. Although it has a great total of cars if you get all the dlc, it doesn't cover many racing series in any depth. Like most sims with a wide variety of cars, the physics is somewhat variable in quality.

I didn't voted (because I was late), but the game is a 8/10.

It's the racing sim that I played the most (853 hours on Steam), but it's kinda incomplete near the competition and too much reliable on mods.

Ok, the best simulation I have here is Bazza's GT Legends series (CANAM, Prototype and GT Classics). Also, there is no Alfa GTA like Kuno's (the best version of my favorite car ever). But... to really go online you need a 3rd party app (RSR)... to have rain and night you need a 3rd party mod.

The AI is really bad (sometimes it's very ok... but all the other times... . . .)... I mean: it's really bad. Not Polyphony kind of bad, but still very bad.

For me, it's a very enjoyable game to relax. When I'm stressed I use to pick a car and track and do some free laps... only me and this game's amazing physics and models. But online it's put into shame by iRacing or GT Sport and this offline is nothing near AMS (that is a game that can give me really good offline racings). But there is no driving experience as good as AC... and there is no car ever simulated that can face Bazza's GT Legends and the 1967 GP Legends.

• Deleted member 197115

I thought after Stefano patched AI, it improved significantly esp. on Kunos content, mods (cars and tracks) can be quite off sometimes.
What in particular you dislike that much about AC AI, just curious?
Not saying it's perfect, but "really bad" that I'd probably disagree, strongly. Plus they run on the same physics model as player.

Good watch

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%