Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite Sim - Assetto Corsa.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our first game on the list... Assetto Corsa!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

- very good ffb and physics
- lots of different cars, also track cars
- decent graphics, sound ok
- different types of modes
- custom championship
- tons of mods
- weak KI
- too little tracks from Kunos
- Nords

All in all a good 8. Like AC although I play it not that often anymore.

• Deleted member 197115

AC is still selling well so Kunos are still benefiting from it. To move forward with AC would mean breaking existing mods and a huge amount of work updating the game engine,and all the existing cars and tracks - for which you can't charge again.
Nah, mods can be fixed, how many times Kunos updated their tire model.
They opted to close that door for different reason.

I rate the game as it is today with also all the MODS/APPS and will do the same for all the other games listed if I have them. I rated Assetto Corsa with a 9.
Over the past year or so the game has really improved with graphics, effects, and Mods. Many of the Modders have come out with some great tracks/unique cars because of the new features. With using VR, I really enjoy driving/racing on many of the tracks with several of the new style cars.

I gave the game a 9 because I wish the game had provided Rolling Starts for doing offline single player American series racing, but I know the game originally was intended for GT and F1 series racing standing starts.
Last, using the Content Manager interface to control Assetto Corsa and its settings/ features has made it easy to do offline or online racing.

Last edited:
I don't really play the game anymore, but a few months playing ACC reminded me how good it is. I mean, I spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours playing it and I very rarely got bored, something that came rather quickly with ACC...

And AC is still the best modding platform since GTR2.

what I like about AC

- prize (DLCs are really cheap!)
- AI - same physics as player
- VR - superb performance (I dont need UI in VR)
- netcode
- tracks - laser scan
- visuals
- tire model
- content - vintage and modern stuff from all the DLCs
- UI - simple and fast
- custom championships

what could be better
- career mode (at least like pc2)
- dedicated server with AI option

its my go to sim so its a 10 for me until something better comes around.

Last edited:
Night, rain, day time transitioning. Don't we have that already thanks to Ilja and Peter?
Wish Kunos were still actively involved into development, instead of just moving off completely to ACC.
There is still lots of life in AC thanks to all modders, no wonder the active player base is larger than all other sims combined.
You forget about Iracing? That sim has the biggest player base in all sim racing. Love it or hate it Iracing is at the top.

It could be or is a problems with these polls that also people who does NOT own a game can influence the poll.
I dont own AC so I refrain from voting - but not so sure of others fairness:sneaky:

did you at some point buy it and re-fund it or did you just avoid it all together? just wondering not judging ;)
I did try over the years I think every sim... this bloody hobby is addictive. :p

we should be all civil and just point out what sim from our point of view has which pro's and con's eh? :)

At the end of the day, the poll will just measure how much fanboyism is generated by a game compared to the others. The remaining GPL players would probably give a 9.9 score as most of the others were hardly born when the game was sold.

Ac lives and dies with the mods. If you want to know what ac looks like without mods then look at the console versions. If ac did not have mods then that would have been the experience on pc as well. A 6 or 7/10 game. Mediocre. And if someone plays ac totally without mods I'd say he is playing it wrong. That would be something like playing racing sims without a wheel or using computer without a mouse.

If this was a 2019 thread in that alternate universe where ac did not have modding then I'd imagine most people would be saying it was mediocre game but limited and never achieved its potential. I don't think people would be even willing to believe how big difference modding made for this title. And not just some base level modding where you can reverse engineer the systems and hack something into the game but real modding with so much freedom and done so well and comprehensively.

I certainly don't think all that many people would be playing ac without mods anymore and for sure a lot fewer people would have bought it. There are only so many times you can drive the same cars on the same tracks before it gets too repetitive and ac did not have that many tracks anyways. I think the laser scanned nordschleife would have moved quite few units but after that it would have been slow death.

I love seeing the ratings and opinions, but it can also be like "Do you think my wife / girlfriend is pretty:D The main thing is we have so many to choose from, if we find one we love, we're lucky to have it. So, in the end, who cares if others love your sim of choice. She's there for you day after day to enjoy. Keep the shiny side up boys:)

Cheers

ac is far from perfect buy its modding community has added everything i could asked for. hundreds of cars and tracks with every livery you could imagine. they said weather wasn't possible so we did it. i 100% would have not gotten back into sim racing if it wasn't for the community the game has created.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%