Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Exactly... free 2019 update incoming... its free as promised... not like rF2 where u have to pay a lot for new stuff and the old stuff aint fixed.

Lot of blamers here as usual.

And no, RD is not the center of the sim racing universe. Its only an UK sim page thats all. :p

Sebring RF2 is hand's down one of the best tracks in a racing game i've driven.I did iracings 12 hours sebring didn't feel one bump jumped on Rf2 after it got released was like watching and driving the real track the attention to detail is just nuts

Ok for the content part but :

1) it is not a sim, it is a game with pretty good physics but lacking very iumportant ffb elements
2) The title itself says "competition", there is none. You only "play" against very bad IA, online racing is a joke
3) adding a point because Kunos finished the game, you kidding ?

Thats your opinion, Fine, I didn't state that the sim was finished? How would you feel if Kuno's released this as it was and then dumped it and moved onto something else like other Dev's do? Kuno's are doing a great job of continuing to improve this title as they get more of an idea about what people want out of it IMO, Cheers.

Thats your opinion, Fine, I didn't state that the sim was finished? How would you feel if Kuno's released this as it was and then dumped it and moved onto something else like other Dev's do? Kuno's are doing a great job of continuing to improve this title as they get more of an idea about what people want out of it IMO, Cheers.

That's your opinion, fine :)

I don't think Kunos did or is doing a great job and I explained why. Now ACC wasn't made for my kind of simracer, this wouldn't be a probelm if they had state since the beginning that they had no plan for serious online racing.

Good game, but to me it still has an early access feel over it as many things are not featured yet even though it is supposed to have left EA. The game can also be a headache to setup correctly as optimization isn't the best neither, so you spend too much time dialing in settings in order for it to run smoothly (at least in my case).

Game wise a solid 8, but - 1 point for the above mentioned critiques so a 7.

I like a lot in the game, and GT3's are my favorite cars. However, the game is, in my opinion, still EA and I don't play it much for the numerous issues it has starting from performance and going to all the glitches in the gaming side of things.

I gave it a six. I'm a big fan of single championship games, the sounds seem a step up from AC, its great that all the tracks are scanned and I love the cockpit graphics.

While you expect new games to be more demanding than their predecessors, the drop in framerates is too big IMO and I can't run against 20 AI even with graphics settings that are not that impressive. I find the simplifications adopted for the wet tracks a little too obvious. I don't find the cars fun to drive, don't find the FFB informative, and, with all the online community for ACC racing GT3s, do think Kunos missed an opportunity to introduce an iRacing type matchmaking system.

This. It would have been the ideal game to implement iracing style matchmaking and rankings + would have set it apart. Don't get why they didn't make use of that opportunity.
Because KUNOS: they seem to make a point of always doing everything differently to everbody else, as if on principal. And to exacerbate the problem, their comunications with the end user leaves much to be desired.
But hey, there's always rF2 :D

If I could get it to run at any sort of respectible level I would score it higher, but seen as I can't I gave it a 1.

What hardware are you running it on?

This. It would have been the ideal game to implement iracing style matchmaking and rankings + would have set it apart. Don't get why they didn't make use of that opportunity.

Because Kunos is a small studio and doesn't have the huge budget, associated administrative setup and dedicated servers that iRacing has. Almost since its release, there have been people complaining that they're not getting the iRacing experience with ACC. If that's what you want, pay the subs and go to iRacing. However, you'd miss out on racing in a better simulation in my opinion.

Wasn't there the explanation, that it would be a subscriptioned based system like on iRacing then? If so, I am glad Kunos didn't go that route.

What hardware are you running it on?

I5 6600k, 1060 graphics card and 12gb ram

Because Kunos is a small studio and doesn't have the huge budget, associated administrative setup and dedicated servers that iRacing has. Almost since its release, there have been people complaining that they're not getting the iRacing experience with ACC. If that's what you want, pay the subs and go to iRacing. However, you'd miss out on racing in a better simulation in my opinion.

I think this game is the best sim racing experience today, but it really needs a high end PC.

I have a high end PC: RTX2080, I7 9700, 16GB RAM, SSD Disk, and for Oculus VR CV1 it still needs ASW enabled and VR pixel density only in 120% (the highest value is 200%) and all settings at medium.

If it gets optimized, the game is awesome: sounds, 333Mhz FFB, Unreal textures, track details, and a aggesive IA. The menus are basic, but I prefer they work on track rather than menus.

The thing is Sector 3 say they are working on an iRacing system for RR and Studio 397 say the same about rF2. Both Studios are much smaller/poorer than Kunos, and with players spread over many racing series in RR and rF2, neither is as well suited as ACC. We also have the SRS for AC which has a rating system, scheduled races and splits if required and this is free. IRacing has to have the infrastructure to support 4000 simultaneous racers but for ACC you would only need to support 300. Unless it took off of course but then you would get new customers.

Last edited:
The thing is Sector 3 say they are working on an iRacing system for RR and Studio 397 say the same about rF2. Both Studios are much smaller/poorer than Kunos, and with players spread over many racing series in RR and rF2, neither is as well suited as ACC. We also have the SRS for AC which has a rating system, scheduled races and splits if required and this is free.
Exactly. As if the argument was already pretty poor before, now that we know Kunos is working on paid DLC's, there's no excuse to not work on multiplayer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 415 39.8%