Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I'm just amazed at the number of people here marking it down for lack of content! Are those same people going to downgrade F1 2019 for not having GT3 cars or the Nordschleife? Or the rally games for not including international racing circuits or prototype cars? Come on people, the clue is in the title - "Assetto Corsa Competizione - the official Blancpain GT Series videogame". Everyone new exactly what they were getting when they bought it! It's almost as bad as the person who rated it without actually having the game!

Yep, I agree, nonsense.

I rated this a 9, I play offline on a single screen, People complaining about content, This Sim is exactly what Kuno's said it would be ie: A Blancpain GT3 Sim so I have no complaints there, Graphics, Physics, FFB and sound IMO is top notch, So is immersion, It all comes together nicely, I was originally going to give it an 8 but added another point for all the hard work the Kuno's devs have been putting into it.

Ok for the content part but :

1) it is not a sim, it is a game with pretty good physics but lacking very iumportant ffb elements
2) The title itself says "competition", there is none. You only "play" against very bad IA, online racing is a joke
3) adding a point because Kunos finished the game, you kidding ?

Those who disagreed on ACC having best graphics on market please, tell me which sim has better graphics.
iRacing, rFactor? Must be kidding. AC with SOL and shaders is better now but outdated either. PC2 maybe, but I hate the constant flickering on trees. The others... LOL.

Who gives a damn f...about graphics in a simracing (well, as they pretend to be) ?

And imho, iRacing or rFactor 2 graphics are as good as ACC. Check Nordscheife in both those simulations (because they ARE simulations, not ACC) and tell me graphics aren't good.

Another issue : ACC uses poorly laserscanned tracks, at very best they used a drone, so the track is missing every details : holes, bumps, etc...ok this is not really the most important part but this is another point proving this is NOT a simulation.

The looks, sounds and actual driving in ACC is tremendous. It falls short in just about every other category for me though. Its slowly improving, but at the rate its going by time it feels "finished" ill probably have moved onto AMS2, rf2 with new comp system etc. Plus GT3 cars can only hold my interest for so long. All that comes to a 6 for me.

I am very surprised at the result of the vote, so I did a quick lookup of some usage stats

ac_vs_acc.png

Source: https://steamdb.info/graph/?compare=244210,805550

It looks like nearly all players are here on RD. Why?

This let's me think about the relationship/cooperation between the Blancpain GT Series -> Kunos -> Race Department -> SRO Motorsport

This can explain why ACC gets so much featured content here, even with forced live streams for a unknown E-Sport-League for premium (ads free?).

I am not saying it is a bad Game, all I want is to mention that in the context of voting on various racing games.

I am very surprised at the result of the vote, so I did a quick lookup of some usage stats

View attachment 329541

This let's me think about the relationship/cooperation between the Blancpain GT Series -> Kunos -> Race Department -> SRO Motorsport

This can explain why ACC gets so much featured content here, even with forced live streams for a unknown E-Sport-League for premium (ads free?).

I am not saying it is a bad Game, all I want is to mention that in the context of voting on various racing games.
Why would this surprise you?
We are "4 cats" as we say in italian meaning that simracing community ( excluded iracing) is a niche and most likely to be all on race department.

View attachment 329541

I really don't like those graphics, as they are only represent peak number of players per day, which does not represent how many players that game has on average. For example, ACC drops to 2 digits sometimes... TWO DIGITS.
This is the reality:
hwnq71A.jpg

I really don't like those graphics, as they are only represent peak number of players per day, which does not represent how many players that game has on average. For example, ACC drops to 2 digits sometimes... TWO DIGITS.
This is the reality:
hwnq71A.jpg
Well , these graphs have the same logic for all videogames so regardless the measure being analysed there is a difference among the simulators.

I really don't like those graphics, as they are only represent peak number of players per day, which does not represent how many players that game has on average. For example, ACC drops to 2 digits sometimes... TWO DIGITS. ...

It's not about the number itself, its about the relationship.
Relation between small usage number and very high voting count and score.
Relationship between RD and Kunos.

Why would this surprise you?
We are "4 cats" as we say in italian meaning that simracing community ( excluded iracing) is a niche and most likely to be all on race department.

My home base is a big German Simracing Forum and sorry but no, not many of these guys are here. :rolleyes:
Btw, I know many iRacing fans here on RD who would like to have their own space here on RD.

Who gives a damn f...about graphics in a simracing (well, as they pretend to be) ?

And imho, iRacing or rFactor 2 graphics are as good as ACC. Check Nordscheife in both those simulations (because they ARE simulations, not ACC) and tell me graphics aren't good.

Another issue : ACC uses poorly laserscanned tracks, at very best they used a drone, so the track is missing every details : holes, bumps, etc...ok this is not really the most important part but this is another point proving this is NOT a simulation.

Can you prove they used drone to laserscan?? While every pohoto so far they shared from laserscaning sessions where huge SUVs with equipment on it.

1) it is not a sim, it is a game with pretty good physics but lacking very iumportant ffb elements
In your opinion. I find the FFB to be a step up from AC, which was already very good. I find it more communicative, I have no issues understanding the cars balance. When I hear stuff like this which is so far removed from my experience I wonder is something just set up wrong.

2) The title itself says "competition", there is none. You only "play" against very bad IA, online racing is a joke
I think the AI has been improving with every update. They have weaknesses, online with quality people is always going to be better than AI. As long as you don't expect the AI to just get out of your way (something Kunos AI has done in the past) they put up a good fight and even put pressure on from behind rather than just fall off once they get overtaken.

And where did U hear that ACC's laserscan is poorly done?

... ACC uses poorly laserscanned tracks, at very best they used a drone, so the track is missing every details : holes, bumps, etc...ok this is not really the most important part but this is another point proving this is NOT a simulation.

I'd love to know what racetracks you drive on that have laser scanned holes, unless there's a M25 mod floating about?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.0%