random questions

I've got some random questions related to a test-track:
1. What is exact polygonlimit for a single object/material?
I'm able to cut these objects into 2 part to avoid the limit, but it would be helpfull to know the exact poly-limit.

2. I'm playing with a rallytrack, but the tracklogic ain't working, correctly:
The race starts, but the timer doesn't stop after crossing the finishline. Do I miss a finish-definition or something like that ?

Oh and 3. Sky/Night:
The night-texture is not loading:
I'm using the following shader:
Code:
vf_sky
{
  vertex_shader
  {
    ;file=sky_daynight_v.cg
    file=sky_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    ;file=sky_daynight_f.cg
    file=sky_f.cg
  }
}
and
Code:
shader_sky~vf_sky
{
  sky=1
  cull=none
  compression=0
  layer0
  {
    map=textures/sky_day.tga
    depthwrite=0
    depthfunc=always
  }
  layer1
  {
    map=textures/sky_night.tga
    depthwrite=0
    depthfunc=always
  }
}
It should be loaded at 21:00 and raised to 100% till 00:00 by a TOD-curve. But the textures won't swap. Any help is appreciated :)

This topic seems somewhat misplaced, nothing going on with physics here.

1. The DOF file format has a limit of 20k triangles per material and mesh at this time.
2. Either you never pass Timeline 1 and Timeline 2 with your car, if they are set in special.ini, or there are no timelines at all except for the start/finish one, in which case I don't know if racer will let you 'complete' a lap.
3. You commented out the shader files you want to use with this shader, right now you are using the regular sky shaders. This should work:
Code:
vf_sky
{
  vertex_shader
  {
    file=sky_daynight_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    file=sky_daynight_f.cg
  }
}

The swapping doesn't seem to be happening here either, tested in RC5 and RC6.

Also, my bad on point 2, I see (rather, a colleague did ;) )you have a point to point track instead of a 'regular' circuit. In this case, you need to tell Racer to expect a point to point/a-b track. To do this, go into special.ini and add two lines in the timeline section:

Code:
timeline
{
  point_to_point=1
  auto_return=0
}

Sorry, I'll use the tracks subforum for further questions.
I didn't know about the point_to_point=1 settings. It's working fine now :)
Night-textures are working aswell, they need to set in the tod-crv.

Thx, for the quick help.

Sorry, I'll use the tracks subforum for further questions.
I didn't know about the point_to_point=1 settings. It's working fine now :)
Night-textures are working aswell, they need to set in the tod-crv.

Thx, for the quick help.

It's already been moved dude, you can still use this thread :)

Point to point isn't working ideally either, mainly due to the splines setting the first timing point and also AI doesn't like working without splines.

Also iirc the removal of the driver controls after passing the finish timeline is forced even if you set it to off, and iirc the reset too.

Either way don't expect to get a point to point track working ideally, it's a bit broken right now and needs Ruud to spend some time rethinking the logic for point to point properly (ie, AI, timing, how the controls are taken away (and if so for how long), and how long to reset etc.
Mainly just fixing broken things and also taking hard coding out of the racer.ini and moving it into special/track.ini type files :D

Dave

Thx KS95!
Either way don't expect to get a point to point track working ideally.
That's no matter, it's one path, only. The timer is working, that was my concern.
Just spinning... a sciptable multi point to point option would enable lots of gamemodes, like taxidriver, pizza-service etc. :D

Yeah it'd be nice to open up/expose the timing/splines/AI starting and all that stuff to scripting.

It'd be nice to get drag strip lights and timings working properly for example, and be able to use AI for cars there too (ie, wait for lights before launching, but using proper staging (ie, drive up to the line etc))

Hmmm

Dave

I could reasonably easily do a drag strip with qscript+traffic, assuming the documentation is accurate (easiest if the strip itself is set up running east-west or north-south in the mo). Delivery routes wouldn't be too hard either although the lack of ability to add a map would make it less user friendly.

Scripting the launch timing would be trickier, option 1 is just to display text on the screen, option 2 is to set up a shader to switch them at a certain time, neither way is all that nice. Script controlled track models seems like the way to go, if Ruud ever actually works on the scripts.

The pits need some scipts, too.

I've just added some moveable objects to a track and a new issue. The documentation is a bit out dated on this. I tried different entries, but the object is falling through the tracksurface or it has no collision at all.
The object is x=2.5, y=0.4, z=1.6 weight= 25kg
Code:
  guard_01_24_guard_003
  {
    file=guard_01_24_guard_003.dof
    flags=1024
    type=1
    trans_movable_to_zero=1
    rot_dyn
    {
      x=0.000000
      y=0.000000
      z=0.000000
      w=1.000000
    }
    offset_dyn
    {
      x=0.000000
      y=0.000000
      z=0.000000
    }
    group=0
    shape=2
    size_phys
    {
      x=0.000000
      y=0.000000
      z=0.000000
    }
    offset_phys
    {
      x=0.000000
      y=0.000000
      z=0.000000
    }
    rot_phys
    {
      x=0.000000
      y=0.000000
      z=0.000000
      w=1.000000
    }
    mass=25.000000
    inertia
    {
      x=2.500000
      y=0.400000
      z=1.600000
    }
    freeze=0
    uniqueid=100024
  }
Does anybody know what I'm supposed to fill into these xyz's?
"w" might be weight?

I would expect size_phys is the outer dimensions (length/width/height of a box around it), offset_phys moves the center of that box on the model, and rot_phys turns the box (since it's 4 numbers, probably a quaternion rotation). Inertia's probably proportional to dimensions unless you have better data.

Just throwing in my 2p here.

Iirc if you turn showphysmesh on, or whatever it is to show the newton mesh, then the meshes are defaulting to not what you set them to in the ini file.

Ie, if you set them to a cylinder and check in-game then they are not a cylinder hull, they are a proxy-mesh or something.

I can't be sure without testing again but it seems many of these variables do nothing.

It's also a pain managing them because trackEd destroys nested elements, so you can't define a 'cone' physics then apply it to all cones.

Indeed all this used to be possible to apply in movables*.ini files which made a lot of sense but that doesn't seem supported any more. The least we could have is that trackEd would preserve comment sections or nested elements etc as managing tracks in trackEd (as I keep saying) is a real pita!

Dave

Yeah it's doable !! :)

When you're in Tracked, you set one/multiple triggerline(s) & in your special.ini, you trigger the code you want. I use the 0.8.39 with RSX/RCX scripts that you need to compile on runtime/in console. In the scripts, you can trigger console commands too, so that's useful for multiple purposes, it all depends what's on your mind...

Check the racer.nl for more informations, you can generate/compile via console all available scripts functions & types.

http://racer.nl/reference/scripting.htm
http://racer.nl/tutorial/scripting_q.htm

It's best you have some knowledge in programming...for example, I use also Python, to generate new files "on fly" instead of manually creating them...for the traffic / AI.

Let your spirit fly & see how you can make Racer more Dirt2/3, LFS, GTR2, Grid, ClippingPoint, F1 2010-2012 like...

I was thinking about a GymKhana Racer style track with some code in it...;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 457 39.3%