PC2 Rallycross With Project CARS 2 In Pictures...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Rallycross 6.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have released a batch of new images from the upcoming Project CARS 2 game, this time centring attention on the new for the franchise Rallycross discipline.

When revealed earlier this month, many fans have been curious to see how a properly simulated loose surface environment will be represented in Project CARS 2, considering this will be the first time Slightly Mad Studios have attempted to bring off road racing to either the Project CARS franchise or previous racing games produced by the studio.

Obviously with both the original title and the upcoming PCARS 2 already well established in the graphics stakes it is beyond question that the cars and tracks will very much look the part, but will the British developers be able to nail a physics set that can be notoriously difficult to master in a racing simulation?

Early indications do indeed sound promising, with SMS confirming development has been supported by not one but two professional Rallycross drivers and the incredibly successful team OMSE X Games rally competitor, so realistically the studio should stand a very fair chance of bringing about a successful version of the incredibly popular rally discipline.

Of course it is nigh on impossible to accurately judge physics simulation from moving pictures without having hands on experience with the software yourself, but that hasn't stopped a certain element of the sim racing community already voicing scepticism about the new class of racing following several video reveals of the cars in action in recent days. With only realisticly Codemasters DiRT Rally and upcoming DiRT 4 to contend against, already it looks as though SMS and Project CARS 2 have a tough battle ahead to win over the passionate rally fans amongst the sim racing community. With the game looking to release around September 2017, it's only a few short months until we will be able to judge for ourselves the product of Slightly Mad Studios efforts...

In other Project CARS 2 news, Creative Director Andy Tudor has recently given a brief presentation on the 'Live Track 3.0' technology due to feature in the new game. Tudor can be see talking at the 2017 PC Gamer Weekender discussing the impact of this technology in Project CARS 2, and what players can expect from the feature once the game releases towards the end of the current year. You can catch the full 30 + minute presentation below:

Project CARS 2 is due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC towards the end of 2017.

Project CARS 2 Rallycross 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 Rallycross 4.jpg
Project CARS 2 Rallycross 5.jpg
Project CARS 2 Rallycross 10.jpg
Project CARS 2 Rallycross 8.jpg

Check out our Project CARS 2 sub forum for a place to join together with fellow race fans and discuss the game prior to it's launch around September 2017. Once the game is publically available we will be hosting further sub forums with racing league and club events, downloadable setups, mods and more. Stay tuned for all the action here at RaceDepartment!

Looking forward to Rallycross in PCARS2? Do you think the content will be as popular as tarmac racing in the game? Can the Rallycross portion of PC2 match or surpass DiRT Rally in your opinion? Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

I read that story as no change from Pcars, there's an option for "real" aids so cars with aids will have them and those without will not, but also less skilled players can select the aids to be on regardless of real and "hardcores" can turn them all off regardless if real or not. (real aids can be toggled on/off whilst driving as well).

(not aimed at bogani) This community seriously has to stop belittling others as they get into simming and need some hand holding and slagging off games that help newcomers. It has no bearing on the underlying physics at all to have aids.

Absolutely agree on the latter part. Reading through comment sections to articles/videos regarding "simracing" usually just makes me sigh. People spend more time hating on others than actually enjoying the games they claim to play.

To be frank, some of what was said by Tudor there was quite patronising.

I never used aids on any console games, and very rarely use them at all on PC sim titles.

But maybe I am in the massive minority.

You cant use aids at all in rallycross other than perhaps launch control, and all this says to me is that the game physics are designed within a range and rallycross is not really in that range so they are modifying the physics to suit, for the majority not the minority, so with inherent push built in, designed to be run on aids so without makes them snatchy and evil as you are over-riding the core physics preferences.

I understand why, that market is worth more and they want casual players mainly as they are likely to not only play the game but also be more impressed with pretty pictures and novelties rather than the core strengths of the game.

It is a business decision, not one based on making the sim a better one. Same as most decisions WMD make, and the recent ones Codies made with Dirt4.

If you did notice, there were only a couple people who have any sort of connection/interest with e-sports in the crowd. So I think he made that phrasing because he assumed the majority of that crowd had no idead what a sim is and what kind of "difficulty" is expected to come along with such a title. I think he only made clear that there is what we have now as "real assists", full assists and assists off (regardless of real or not). In that effect, I don't think he gave any new info for sim players.

To be frank, some of what was said by Tudor there was quite patronising.

I never used aids on any console games, and very rarely use them at all on PC sim titles.

But maybe I am in the massive minority.

You cant use aids at all in rallycross other than perhaps launch control, and all this says to me is that the game physics are designed within a range and rallycross is not really in that range so they are modifying the physics to suit, for the majority not the minority, so with inherent push built in, designed to be run on aids so without makes them snatchy and evil as you are over-riding the core physics preferences.

I understand why, that market is worth more and they want casual players mainly as they are likely to not only play the game but also be more impressed with pretty pictures and novelties rather than the core strengths of the game.

It is a business decision, not one based on making the sim a better one. Same as most decisions WMD make, and the recent ones Codies made with Dirt4.

What it means is people will be able to turn on and off aids as they see fit.

Speaking of patronising....something EVERY single elitist fool who spouts words like "simcade" and "casuals" and waves their epeen around as if it means anything at all just to denigrate a game they don't like and big up their own personal fave game. So UTTERLY tiresome and toxic.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back