Rally - Slick Celica - Monday 22nd & Tuesday 23rd August 2011

Mont Herman is a wonderfull Stage, very difficult and hard to learn. I think that just by knowing better this stage we can go easily faster. But I think that I did a good time, only one time out of the track during this long stage. I save the replay, didn't know if we can see it.

For the other stages, I made great times, Mark Birney beat me in France by 0,9s. I won all the other 6 stages in EU, waiting to know if I won the last one.

EDIT : last stage win by 1 min and 30s

Not bad for my first rally, I finished ever stage but had to call for help at least 10 times along the way. Mount Herman is a wonderful track and I enjoyed it the most out of all of them even though I got last of the people who attempted it. I ended up 6th of 13.

At the start I couldnt get into rythm, but until the end I managed to find the correct pace and started to drive a bit better. Still far from good times, was going slowly - to evade crashes. Yet I managed to crash few times.

1st stage - Had few off roads but all in all it was OK, nothing too bad. Just realised that half of the stage I was driving with damaged wheel. Thats why I wasnt able to go straight.. :X

2nd stage - Rolled the car over.. I thought that now its over.. But it wasnt, managed to pull my self together after that rollover and did an OK stage.

3rd stage - Was going slowly as I really cant do tarmac stages with this steering wheel, I was trying to finish the stages, didnt even think about the time I did. So thats why I was so slow. Almost made 2 spins twice, those could have ended badly, thanks god I managed to keep the car on track..

4th stage - Almost crashed for few times, was going even slower because this track is so narrow and as I already mentioned - I hate tarmac. So just a finish, dont look at that sh*t time.

5th - Finally I got away from tarmac, was so happy that I almost screwed up the rally. Made few crashes, went down the hill.. lucky that I was able to get up by my self and didnt had to call for goblins to push me out.. Also had very heavy landing after the big jump, thought that the oil pump might be damaged - lucky enough - it wasnt. Actually again I was going slow. I just couldnt get into rythm at this track. Also missed few corners.

6th - I could do that stage better, no doubt, but yet I was happy with it. Few tiny mistakes, wasnt going fast but Im satisfied with the result :)

7th - First 2 splits was amazing, I didnt believe that I did those without crashes, spins or off roads. I just hate that track, to be honest. Although I wasnt going as fast as I can, too much braking.. But then in 3rd split had 2 heavy crashes and that ended that stage, well - I finished but with really bad result. I was suprised that in first and second split I lost to Sebastien only 1 second. I was even faster than him in 2nd split but 3rd split ruined everything.

8th - Well.. as mentioned before in this topic, I couldnt see much of that stage because my graphic card is just too weak for BTB stages. Although I was trying to drive there. That was mad.. Didnt see how many km`s I did but I got pretty far actually, was suprised about that. But at some point it was just impossible to see where the track goes.. Was driving around for ~ 2minutes and then just crashed into something.. Not sure what it was because I didnt see nothing..

Well, the last stage ruined the whole rally. Not that the rally was good but at least no retirements. Without it maybe I could be satisfied but now Im pretty sure I`ll be far away from the top. Sad.

Good luck to those who are going to drive the rally and thanks for competition to those who were driving today. :)

Clean run for me. Only took one CFH, on Stage 3, which was lucky considering I flew off the cliff heading down the fast downhill run towards the first hairpin. Somehow I managed to land on all fours and avoid every tree trunk and spectator face.

Was just plain slow at SS7. Kept running wide and had no momentum on the straights. This was a big disappointment as I had practiced just slightly off the pace Sebastien ran today.

I'm American and thus really have no idea how real rally works. Do real drivers and co-drivers memorize the route? Do they get to practice each stage over and over? Who makes the pacenotes and how do they do it?

A pretty tough rally for me, especially as I'm not a big fan of the car and it's ability to roll over at the slightest opportunity. However I did manage to finish all the stages in the end so I should hopefully have finished fairly high on this one.

SS1: Took it fairly steady, so a pretty average time.
SS2: First roll of the rally and landed on it's side, so needed a cfh.
SS3: One of my best stages for a long time and only 10s off Seb's time which is very unusual for me.
SS4: Back to rolling the car. 1x cfh.
SS5 & 6: Both runs through Mineshaft were ok, although I managed to roll once on each (thankfully landing the right way up though).
SS7: The only thing I hate more than Diamond Creek is Diamond Creek II. Woeful run.
SS8: The stage is an absolute epic and felt like it went on forever. 1x cfh and many small spins, but survived it.

Congrats to anyone who finished this one!

Also big thanks to Warren for posting his setups - I don't think I'd still be sane if I had used the Celica default setups tonight lol. :D

Clean run for me. Only took one CFH, on Stage 3, which was lucky considering I flew off the cliff heading down the fast downhill run towards the first hairpin. Somehow I managed to land on all fours and avoid every tree trunk and spectator face.

Was just plain slow at SS7. Kept running wide and had no momentum on the straights. This was a big disappointment as I had practiced just slightly off the pace Sebastien ran today.

I'm American and thus really have no idea how real rally works. Do real drivers and co-drivers memorize the route? Do they get to practice each stage over and over? Who makes the pacenotes and how do they do it?

One thing Im sure is - they do not get to practice stages over and over again. In fact - at Latvia few weeks before the rally there are forbidden area where rally driver must not show up. Probably similar in other countries. With pacenotes it differs. Usually organisers gives the pacenotes. Drivers certainly do not get to memoreize the route.

Thats why I hate to see the names of stages before the rally. Especially so soon before rally.

Do real drivers and co-drivers memorize the route?
Stages are often repeated, so they memorize them over time for sure.
Someone mentioned Röhrl saying that he drove the stage in his mind the day before the actual rally. The time he drove in his head and the real time in the end were pretty close :D

Do they get to practice each stage over and over? Who makes the pacenotes and how do they do it?
As far as I know, teams nowadays get a couple of runs on a stage, and the driver and codriver create their own pacenotes.
I think there's also a speed limit of some sort, and they're using a regular car.

Hi....First of all thank you for creating a session so i could drive this rally.
The rally was good, but i have no idea how it is compare to the rest of you, since i drove by myself. Most of the stages was ok (for me) but i started little carefully i think, and on the last stage i had to call for help one time. It was a silly mistake, i just rolled the car when i hit a edge inside a corner, and the car rolled 2 times and ended upside down.

Hi....First of all thank you for creating a session so i could drive this rally.
The rally was good, but i have no idea how it is compare to the rest of you, since i drove by myself.

No worries, if you ever need an extra session, just let Warren know the time :good:

The complete results will be posted after the final session ends, Tuesday evening, so you'll get to see how you did then.

In other news, I tried the car with the keyboard this evening. I lost control and the brakes about 500m into the first stage. I predict a frustrating OC session for me :rally:

Dang, I missed the 1st few stages because I saw "tuesday" in the times for the US. My fault for being confused :)

1st time running Mont Herman for me as well. Its an amazing stage but the pace notes were horrible. Nobody else notice this?

1st time running Mont Herman for me as well. Its an amazing stage but the pace notes were horrible. Nobody else notice this?

As was discussed earlier in this thread, the actual pacenotes calls aren't too bad, the issue seems to be the timing of the calls. They are a bit early, which results in many calls being two turns ahead, which can be distracting. This is compounded also if you use 3D Pacenotes, it's probably best not to use those on this Stage.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back