Rally - Group N Challenge- Wed 14th April 2010

Warren Dawes

Premium
Group N Challenge: Mitsubishi EVO9 vs Subaru N12

lancer-vs-impreza.jpg

Sessions: RD Group N Challenge OC / RD Group N Challenge EU / RD Group N Challenge US

NOTE: An additional Session has been included for Europe on Tuesday: RD Group N Challenge EU-X

Car Pack: N4_1 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9 / N4_2 Subaru Impreza N12

Damage: Reduced

Stage 01: England - Shepherds Shield [Normal, Light Fog, Day]
Stage 02: England – Harwood Forest II [Normal, Damp, Day]
Stage 03: England – Chirdonhead [Normal, Bad, Day]
Stage 04: England – Falstone [Normal, Bad, Day]
Stage 05: England – Shepherds Shield II [Normal, Bad, Day]
Stage 06: England – Falstone II [Normal, Bad, Day]
Stage 07: England – Chirdonhead II [Normal, Bad, Day]
Stage 08: England – Harwood Forest [Snow, Good, Day]

Oceania Start: 10:00 GMT *
Europe Start: 19:00 GMT *
US Start: 02:00 GMT Thursday (10:00pm EDST (USA) Wednesday)*

NOTE: The Europe Rally will start 19.00 GMT to allow for new daylight savings times.

NOTE: Tuesday EU-X Session start is 19.00 GMT (Tuesday)

* EU, OC, and US events will only be created on request - so please mention which zone you're signing up for. All sessions will be combined together for an overall result for the event. You can only run on one session.

NOTES:
  • Click here to read the password!
  • You will require the RSRBR 2010 (update 03) mod in order to participate, please see the installation and usage threads.
  • Teamspeak is highly recommended, and adds to the fun.
  • Choose either the Lancer Evo 9 from N4_1 or the Subaru N12 from N4_2
IMPORTANT:
  • Please sign up in the following format: RD Name (RSRBR2010 Name)
  • Take a screenie of RSCenter, or save your times, showing your final results at the end of the rally (including the car you drove!). This is in case any of your stages are missed by the server. If there's a discrepancy, please post your times ASAP so we're not adjusting times over 24 hours later.
  • You must stick with the same car throughout the rally - if you change, your times for those stages will be defaulted.
  • If you are new to Richard Burns Rally, we have provided a set of guidelines to help you get up and running: Here and Here

Please nominate which car / team you intend to drive with.
Try to mix up the field if possible.

Drivers:

1. Warren Dawes (WAD53) Oceania / Lancer Evo 9
  2. Tomas Reinicke (ctbr) Europe (Tuesday) / Subaru Impreza N12
  3. Mark A Warmington (Mark Warmington) Europe (Tuesday) Lancer Evo 9
  4. Mark Jarvis (Mark Jarvis) Europe (Tuesday) Subaru Impreza N12
  5. Damien Jones (DJones) Oceania Subaru Impreza N12
  6. Driver
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver

Our next Rally is open for sign-up.
This one is based on Tomas suggestion of a challenge between two Group N cars, the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 9 and the Subaru Impreza N12.

The cars are available in the N4_1 and N4_2 classes. When you join the Server, all cars will be available, so you must select your car choice (Lancer or Subaru) from the list. The Lancer is under N4_1 and the Subaru under N4_2.
Both cars are very evenly matched ,neither will have any advantage over another. All have very good driving visibility from the cockpit too. These cars are another step closer to the powerful WRC cars but have 5 speed gearboxes and slightly more docile handling.

This Rally is designed to resemble the RAC Rally of Great Britain, so we will use all England Stages, but true to British weather, it is going to be mostly wet / raining, even snow for the last stage. The Europeans might feel at home. :wink:

Pleae note some changes to Start times to allow for Daylight Saving Time adjustments.

So pick your team for this one, who do you drive for Mitsubishi or Subaru?

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm taking some time off work and was thinking of going on holiday on Wednesday to see a friend :( I could go Thursday cos I would be well up for this. I recently bought an impreza wrx sti so if I decide to go onthursdsy I will prob be driving that :) I will let you know when I have sorted my plans out :)

cheers

I'm afraid I'm taking some time off work and was thinking of going on holiday on Wednesday to see a friend :( I could go Thursday cos I would be well up for this. I recently bought an impreza wrx sti so if I decide to go onthursdsy I will prob be driving that :) I will let you know when I have sorted my plans out :)

You might be in luck Mark.
Mark Warmington is not able to join Wednesday either, so I will set up a Rally on the Server for 19.00GMT Tuesday night, which should allow you both to join together (and maybe any other Europeans who prefer that time / date.

I will name the Rally " RD Group N Challenge EU-X" with a start time of 19.00GMT.

I will include the results in the overall Rally results.

Once again i had no practice really until I got home from work 30 mins before the start of the rally :( A question do you top guys know, or at least have driven some of these stages in the past? As I find it quite hard to be on the edge or even close to it relying just on the pacenotes...

Although I didnt really have any practice I kind of got used to the car before the start of stage 1, although i found it very twitchy compared to the other cars we have been using the last couple of weeks.

I tried a different approach to last week, instead of pushing very hard I eased it off a little so i could try and finish each stage without smashing the car to bits!! This didnt work that well for me as I still went off a few times but the crashes were not as spectacular as last week!! But I did manage a barrel roll and carried on as though nothing had happened :eek: hehehe It was pretty cool actually :)

I only damaged the car on one of the stages (stage 4 I think) where I hit a tree quite hard and the car would not accelerate, when i put my foot on the accelerator the car just revved but didnt really go anywhere although it had some power in the lower end of the rev range so with blipping the throttle constantly for almost 4 minutes I finsihed the stage :)

Thanks again warren for setting this up, I really want to get some good practice in for the next event but my work is so busy as its nearing towards the summer as I work in the tennis industry so its the busiest time of the year for me (or is getting that way)

I am going to guess I was about middle in the results as I drove fairly conistantly without many crashes but was prob slow while trying to keep the damn thing on the road :tongue:

See you all next time :) Oh and a question for the Euro guys here, are you on teamspeak? Cos I was thinking of joining in on the next event as there is no way (that I have found) in game where I can chat or say hello...

See ya :)

Had a really nice battle with Warren tonight through the mud and fog; neck and neck, exchanging stages until I turned a little too sharply on a left-hander in the last stage and parked the car in a tree. Wasn't travelling very fast but my pinpoint accuracy allowed me to kill it dead :confused:.
Really enjoyed the stages tonight, thanks to Warren for the event and the close battle.

I really enjoyed this Rally, especially since Damien and I were soooo close all the way. We kept alternating faster times but each stage was mostly very close and I think we were only a few seconds apart going into the last (snow) stage. Very sad to see Damien crash out of this one, but at least he proved he was human and can also make mistakes that kill the car.
The Lancer was quite nice to drive in these stages although, as Mark reported, quite twitchy in the setup. I found I had to be very careful on the power, too much at the wrong time and the back let go, too little and it understeered badly (into the trees), it was all about just the right power to keep it pointed where I wanted to go. Certainly wasn't an easy Rally this time, but it felt great when you get it all correct.

Special thanks to Damien, once again we had some nice chatting via TS, this adds tremendously to the fun of the Rally. If others aren't using TS, I'd highly recommend it, it takes away the lonliness feel.

( A question do you top guys know, or at least have driven some of these stages in the past? As I find it quite hard to be on the edge or even close to it relying just on the pacenotes...

Mark, I try to run a few stages off-line to get a feel for the car, but not always. Since I have been running this Sim for some time now, I am starting to remember the stages a bit, but usually I still have to adapt to the car used, and the weather conditions. Listening intently to the pacenotes is always the most important thing. Experience though, helps when it comes to some of the danger spots.

Although I didnt really have any practice I kind of got used to the car before the start of stage 1, although i found it very twitchy compared to the other cars we have been using the last couple of weeks.
Yep, I found the same thing, the cars were more highly powered, but I think the wet weather was the main cause.

I drove fairly conistantly without many crashes but was prob slow while trying to keep the damn thing on the road :tongue:
Mark, this is the secret to good times in RBR. Mistakes are punished bruteally at times, so best to aim for consistency first, then gradually look for areas when you can push a bit harder. This Sim takes quite a while to get used to.

Oh and a question for the Euro guys here, are you on teamspeak? Cos I was thinking of joining in on the next event as there is no way (that I have found) in game where I can chat or say hello...

We always use TS in the Oceania sessions, and it adds a lot to the enjoyment.

RESULTS

RDGroupNChallengeResults.jpg

For a better view, see attached pic below.

The overall challenge was won by the Mitsubishi Lancer, but sadly we didn't really have enough entries to make it a true contest between the two cars. Only one Lancer vs 3 Impreza's. :rose-dead:
Rather a shame too, both cars were really good to drive and closely matched, maybe we can re-run this challenge in the future sometime. Big thanks to Tomas for the great idea though, I'm sure those who joined enjoyed it.

Some nice close racing in this Rally and well done to Mark J for his 2nd place, he is improving very quickly and is poised to take the win soon. Damien was hugely unlucky this time, he had it almost won but killed his car on the final Stage, and Tomas was unlucky to have had a retirement in Stage 2, without that he was right in the mix.

Stage wins were split between Damien and I, but looking closely at the results shows how close many Stages were with anyone having the potential for a stage win with a tad more luck.

Thanks to those who joined, even if the group was very small. :rally:

For the next month or so, I am on holidays and away from home, so we need some feedback on where to go from here, I'll open a separate thread in the RBR Forum. :chat:

Attachments

• RD Group N Challenge Results.JPG
    RD Group N Challenge Results.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 269
It seems that I keep forgetting about the races, sorry again. I know that it doesn't help. The reason was that I didn't had instant mail notification and woke up one day to late.Happy holidays Warren. Let's hope that this club won't die. Nice challenge you've got there, too bad I wasn't in it :mad:.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 39.9%