Raikkonen wet weather.jpg
Kimi Raikkonen tops the final day of the first preseason test, with Pirelli’s “wet weather” testing leading to a quieter day.

The track in sunny Spain was artificially flooded overnight (apparently with water from a nearby pig farm) in order to allow teams to simulate wet weather running and test the new full wet compound.

Whether it’s because drivers didn’t want to risk getting any of that water in their mouths or because teams didn’t really want to risk anybody crashing whilst running parts without any spares we’ll never truly know (I’m guessing the latter), but there was little running early in the session. The seven cars that had run in the first 45 minutes of the test had completed less than 50 laps between them.

Of those seven cars, not one was a Williams. The team had decided, after Lance Stroll’s incident yesterday, to sit out of the final day of testing on safety grounds.

Mercedes were also nowhere to be seen later on. Lewis Hamilton, who was due to take the morning session, had already said he didn’t fancy testing the wet weather tyres, but an apparent “electrical fault” on the Mercedes meant he didn’t have to.

“Electrical fault kept us in the garage this morning, so I’ve decided with the team not to drive today, as I wouldn’t have learned much,” Hamilton said.

The electrical fault was cleared before the end of the morning session, and Valtteri Bottas took the opportunity to get into the Mercedes early.

Thankfully, because of the warm, dry weather, the track didn’t take long to dry. Less than three hours after the track went green, the first driver switched to slick tyres, most of the field having already tried out the green rimmed intermediates.

With the track now dry, things started to get busy again as teams took advantage of the final day of the first test. McLaren, who once again saw no problems today, was even top of the timing screen for approximately four seconds. Stoffel Vandoorne set a 1:24.3 on ultrasoft tyres, only moments before Raikkonen set a 1:22.6 on softs. Vandoorne later set McLaren’s best time of the test, a 1:22.5, on ultrasoft tyres.

One team that didn’t get out again was Toro Rosso. The team had decided to swap engines as a “precaution” after Daniil Kvyat completed a single lap.

Much to the delight of everyone, the track was flooded again during the lunch break, which once again led to a quiet session as most teams waited for the track to dry before sending their cars out.

With about 45 minutes of the session left, Mercedes decided to call it a day saying they had “found something in the data” which they didn’t like.

Even with the wet, changing conditions, there were no accidents and no red flags.

For more thoughts on Formula One and the latest news, head to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Do you think the wet weather test was a waste of time, or would it be useful if better set up? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Yep, especially as we are getting new wet tyres in China
I don't necessarily agree with "how and where" this "wet test" has been made, but actually the fact that Pirelli is making new tyres for the Chinese GP is, in my opinion, a good reason to actually provide them some useful data on how to improve these tyres, as this was the first time (AFAIK) that the tyres have been tried on full 2017 spec cars, not the other way around (AKA it is a reason for not testing in the wet as you said).. Otherwise their work probably is going to be "blind", I can't see how they could have any other data which doesn't come from sheer simulations.
Just my 2c :thumbsup:

If the water came from a local pig farm then maybe the drivers were staying off the track to avoid being showered with other liquid substances less pleasant to wipe off their visors ;)

On a serious note, Ferrari look on the pace so maybe there's a chance they can take the fight to Mercedes this year. Guess we won't really know until at least Q2 of the first race in Melbourne when we see the true pace of the field.

Bit worried about mclaren though. Observers say the car looks 'a handful' in the corners and it's well down through the speed trap :(

Will give the Australian GP a chance but probably not watching F1 this year. There is just so much more fun racing out there that I'll be enjoying a lot more, sadly :(

They tested how soon a wet tire can dry up the wet track during yellow so cars can switch to dry and safe tires as F1 drivers are scared of wet tracks:whistling:

No mention of Haas again!?! Come on RD! I realize they're not a top tier team, but they've been in the top 5 of every test session.

Give this optimistic guy some love!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back