Raikkonen to Sauber, Leclerc to Ferrari Next Season

Here's an idea: Let's take a great driver, in an inferior car and ask him to beat Hamilton. Oh, he can't do it? We'll let's launch him to another team and get a rookie and ask him to beat Hamilton. He won't be able to do it either. And of course he won't be able to get frequent podiums like Raikkonen did. But being that he's a rookie, he'll probably wreck the car more. Yeah, brilliant idea.
Did he wreck the car this year or the year before? Or the year before that when he became F2 champion with quite a margin? Or the year before when he became GP3 champion?
The man has almost 2 seasons of F1 and is no a rookie at all anymore.

Didn´t see that coming, but after a while it seems almost as a logical choice. After all the years Kimi was the number two driver, he will finally be able to enjoy a few more races as the main star in Sauber, really racing in the middle of the pack. What´s more, if Leclerc won´t manage it at Ferrari, Kimi can comeback (well, not really probable, but you never know...) :)

Being a fan of both Ferrari and that of Kimi, surely this came as a shocker; don't get me wrong, I know the day will inevitably come when Kimi will either leave Ferrari or Formula 1 altogether, and I know that Charles will be a Ferrari driver in the future... I guess it was just the timing of it.

I really thought that maybe Charles will stay in Sauber just for one more season to get a bit more experience (again don't get me wrong - he is definitely a capable driver as he is now) and keep Kimi for another year especially with his recent performance.

If in fact Kimi will see his career out with Sauber the same way he started his career in, it may not be the most ideal way to end a career like his, but if he can in fact, help Sauber with developing the car to be a very competitive midfielder by the time his contract ends, I think that is a nice way to part ways with the sport in the end.

As for Charles, as a Ferrari fan, I hope he is indeed our future star in that team.

I'm a Kimi fan, but many times he looks like he can't properly do his job due to car mechanical problems, team orders, bad luck or lack of lionheart inside.

All the best for Kimi, hoping he can still do a good season, fighting to win.
Welcome to this young driver, hoping he's gonna show his skills driving a Ferrari!

image-503554-galleryV9-npuy-503554.jpg

Raikkonen smiling!!! Rarities... :D

Haha for a guy that gets paid so much money for doing something he loves you would expect a little more smiles, imagine getting paid 1million a month to sim race

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always funny how foreigners has so much difficulties to understand why Kimi do or not do this or that. While for us Finns there's nothing odd in that.

You know(I guess you don't...), that we like to be silent, we think that person who talk all the time is idiot, like person who smiles w/out obvious reasons and so on. You may guess after that we absolutely hate Yank-style "small talk all the time, say something even when you don't have anything to say" culture.

So, more likely we could wonder why on earth some of those drivers talk bs all the time...

Totally agree...btw can I call you Raikkunen from now?
Oh seems Ferrari wasn't aware Kimi would move to Sauber when they fired him way before Monza (rumours to be proven).
I heard the same, very briefly, that Kimi was sacked. Then it came out in the same day that Kimi had signed with Sauber. I'm really quite curious of the timing of all these events. How long had Kimi been talking to Sauber, and how long had Ferrari known it would promote Leclerc? And was it really a sacking, with Kimi being lucky enough to already have a job lined up.

View attachment 269134
After much speculation it has been confirmed that Kimi Raikkonen will be joining Sauber next season, the Scuderia promoting young charger Charles Leclerc in his place for 2019.

The Italian team confirmed that Raikkonen, 38, will see out the remainder of the 2018 season before swapping colours to join the Sauber team next season, in a direct swap for young hotshot Charles Leclerc.

Raikkonen has been a member of the Ferrari family on and off for 11 years since making a move from McLaren Mercedes team at the end of 2006 season, a relationship that took the then 27-year-old to his one and only World Championship success.

Having seemingly lost motivation in Formula One following a strong run of form for teammate Felipe Massa, Raikkonen would exit the sport for a brief spell in the World Rally Championship, in 2010, before eventually returning to Grand Prix racing following a less than successful spell outside of the sport in both rally and NASCAR competition.

Returning initially with the Lotus team for 2012, Raikkonen would immediately show the kind of form displayed in his earlier career, eventually leading to a surprise return to Ferrari ahead of the 2014 season. Despite often showing strong form in the following years, Raikkonen has so far failed to add to his 20 race victory total, with seven rounds of the current season yet to run.

Now heading into his 39th year, Ferrari have taken the brave decision to replace the popular Finn with highly rated junior driver Charles Leclerc, the 20-year-old Sauber driver having an impressive debut year in the sport for the perennial midfield team.

Having long been a favourite of the late Sergio Marchionne, Leclerc has been deemed to have done enough during the opening rounds of the 2018 season to earn a drive with the Scuderia for 2019, bucking the long held Ferrari tradition of employing more seasoned and established drivers for their Formula One outfit.

"Dreams do come true... I'll be driving for Scuderia Ferrari for the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship," said Leclerc on Twitter. "I will be eternally grateful to Scuderia Ferrari for the opportunity given.

"To Nicolas Todt for supporting me since 2011. To my family. To a person that is not part of this world anymore but to whom I owe everything of what is happening to me, Papa. To Jules, thank you for all the things you learnt me [sic], we will never forget you, and to all the persons that supported me and believed in me.

"I will work harder than ever to not disappoint you. But first, there is a season to finish with an amazing team that gave me the opportunity to fight and show my potential. Let's go Sauber F1 Team."

Leclerc is regarded by many as a future World Champion prospect in Formula One, and with both current Ferrari team leader Vettel and Lewis Hamilton now well into their 30’s, Ferrari are clearly looking to establish their future prospects in the sport by investing no one of the brightest talents on the current grid.

With many expecting the deal to move Leclerc into a Ferrari seat next season to spell the end of Raikkonen's illustrious career, the ever surprising Finn shocked the paddock by announcing he will take the seat vacated by Leclerc in 2019, re-joining the outfit for which he made his Grand Prix debut in 2001:

"Signing Kimi Raikkonen as our driver represents an important pillar of our project, and brings us closer to our target of making significant progress as a team in the near future," said Sauber team principle Fred Vasseur.​

"Kimi's undoubted talent and immense experience in Formula 1 will not only contribute to the development of our car, but will also accelerate the growth and development of our team as a whole.

"Together, we will start the 2019 season with a strong foundation, driven by the determination to fight for results that count."
According to a post on Raikkonen's Instagram account, the 2007 World Champion has agreed terms to a two year deal with Sauber, taking Raikkonen to 41 years of age at the conclusion of the 2020 racing season.

Kimi looks set to line up alongside Sauber favourite Marcus Ericsson next year, although the Swede could be under pressure for his drive by outgoing McLaren man Stoffel Vandoorne, the Belgian having a long standing relationship with Sauber Team Principle Vasseur that dates back to their successful GP2 campaign of 2015.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

SUPRISE!
unfortunately kimi goes to a F1 backmarker team - he should be racing in Indycar with a top-team !

unfortunately kimi goes to a F1 backmarker team - he should be racing in Indycar with a top-team !
Why are you so sure ?
Didn't you saw a quite huge improvement they have from 2017 now ?
How can you be so sure they can't make same in 2019 ? Or perhaps, with Kimi, even bigger one. :sneaky:
Beside... F1 is F1, Indy is... something else. And I actually love Indy but I'm just realistic dude.

• ItsSiddartha

Being a fan of Kimi, I think it's a positive move for him,
But I would have liked it more if he had returned to McLaren, remembering the fun days as written by Marc (elvis) priestly in his book the Mechanic
:)

It's always funny how foreigners has so much difficulties to understand why Kimi do or not do this or that. While for us Finns there's nothing odd in that.

You know(I guess you don't...), that we like to be silent, we think that person who talk all the time is idiot, like person who smiles w/out obvious reasons and so on. You may guess after that we absolutely hate Yank-style "small talk all the time, say something even when you don't have anything to say" culture.

So, more likely we could wonder why on earth some of those drivers talk bs all the time...

As a Swede I relate very much to this, as we are more or less the same. It always ends up with foreigners thinking we are rude.

Why are you so sure ?
Didn't you saw a quite huge improvement they have from 2017 now ?
How can you be so sure they can't make same in 2019 ? Or perhaps, with Kimi, even bigger one. :sneaky:
Beside... F1 is F1, Indy is... something else. And I actually love Indy but I'm just realistic dude.
yeah of course - but there is no way for sauber to reach the big teams in 2019 - hope Mc Laren could close the gap - or maybe Renault - but that´s only dreaming - isn`t it ?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back